Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cobia & Shark in Western Shore (Off Back River), VA (July 1, 2017)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cobia & Shark in Western Shore (Off Back River), VA (July 1, 2017)

I tried for Cobia again on Jul 1, 2017. I heard that chumming doesn't work well after the mid-June between Back River and Buckroe Beach. But I tried for 4 hours (between 2 hour before and 2 hour after the slack tide).

I anchored the kayak in 9' of water between the mouth of Back River and the point (Rock pile at the point) in the south. I picked this spot because I was afraid of possible storm and possible strong SW wind.

I hooked a small shark on a live baitfish placed on the bottom. I may not place a bait on the bottom anymore because I have been catching several sharks and rays on the bait placed on the bottom.

The little shark bit me. Luckily, it tore my pants only. So from now on, I won't mess with sharks at all. I will cut the leader lines immediately. Trying to save a hook can be very costly.

I landed a small cobia @36" again. No keeper cobia for me again. My bad luck continued. I hope the next time will be different.

Fishing Log:

Thanks
    Joe
    Last edited by ComeOnFish; 07-04-2017, 10:26 AM.
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

That was a close one, Joe! Glad it didn't get into your leg. If you grab the smaller ones (<3ft.) right behind the head and you can control them a little better to get your hook back. Or just cut the line - that's always a safe move.

Keep trying and I'm sure you'll get that keeper cobia soon!
    Brian

Comment

You've really been patient with these cobia, stinks that you didn't get a keeper but at least you know you're doing something right. Glad you didn't get hurt by the shark, things would have been rough getting back safely. At least now you know and just cut the leader or at the very least a long dehooker. I have seen some of Rob Choi's videos where he uses a tail rope to control sharks.
      Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Comment

Enjoyed the video Joe! You're tempting me more and more to have a try at them. Glad it was only your pants! Ditto on grabbing them behind the head - we used to do that in Hawaii with Hammerheads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        J

Comment

Minh and Jman,

I almost ordered a tail-loop thing (mad by Abaco, $100) from Amazon for cobia. But a cobia doesn't have the tail like shark and tuna. For Shark, I will cut the line regardless the size of the shark. I bought a large net for cobia.

Jman,
          I think cobia are available anywhere between Rudee and Back River. I am planning to fish shallow water for cobia, one more time, off the Buoy 44 restaurant. I will look for good drop-off from 6' to 15' near the CBBT. This way I can still fish for other species if cobia don't show up. I may use only one chum for 1.5 hours around the slack tide - 1 bag of 1 gallon chum and 1.5 hour are all I need. I can catch baitfish without any issues.

Joe
          Fish like there's no tomorrow.
          Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
          https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Wow that shark almost got you in the crotch!!!! Yikes!!!!

Comment

That was an extremely close call. Might have to start wearing a cup too. Keep at em....you're bound to connect on one here soon.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
              Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
              2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Working...
              X