Buzzards Bay, MA 7/3/17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buzzards Bay, MA 7/3/17

Fished from dawn till around 10am. Early caught around a half dozen 12-16 inch stripers. I could not find anything larger so I moved on to my target species for the day, fluke/summer flounder. I was getting hits, but I kept missing fish on the spro/gulp shrimp combo. I shortened up my gulp, but was still unable to connect. I decided to fish the buck tail liked I used to fish live bait for flounder. Get the hit, give a little line, flip the bail and let it come tight and set hook. I've never fished buck tails this way, but it worked. Caught 6 fluke and headed home. 3 18-20 inches, one 17.5 and 2 short. IMG_0981.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMG_0983.JPG

Comment

Comment

Well done!

How did you end up preparing them for the table? I haven't had flounder recently, but remember it being quite tasty.
        -manny

Hobie Outback
        Wilderness Systems 130T
        Hobie Outfitter

Comment

Foil packs on the grill with lemon, white wine, capers, and garlic for the 4th. Looking forward to it!

Comment

Originally posted by Ron75 View Post
            Foil packs on the grill with lemon, white wine, capers, and garlic for the 4th. Looking forward to it!

Sounds tasty...enjoy!
            -manny

Hobie Outback
            Wilderness Systems 130T
            Hobie Outfitter

Comment

Originally posted by Ron75 View Post
              Get the hit, give a little line, flip the bail and let it come tight and set hook. I've never fished buck tails this way, but it worked. Caught 6 fluke and headed home. 3 18-20 inches, one 17.5 and 2 short.
              Good 'ol school flunking. After the barage of Skinner fluke videos with twitchy bucktails, nobody's dropping line anymore, but it's a tried and true method that caught fluke for years. Way to stick with it, I probably would gave up and gone back to catching dinks.
              Thanks for writing these reports from the cape, always interested in what's going on up there. I was going to hit the ditch for this past week's breaking tide, but the speck bite was too hot on the Eastern Shore to pull me away. Did you make it over to ditch? I think this forum is far/safe enough away to say it sounds like you had a couple good weeks up there. Did th macs materialize.
              Jay

10' Green Slayer
              13’ Red Slayer

Comment

I don't fish the ditch much anymore. The reports from the baitshops are that Cape Cod bay and the ditch are fishing very good right now. The ditch is especially tough to predict. Sometimes they are killing fish on one end and dead on the other. There is supposed to be a lot of bait there right now, so picking the best tide and giving it a try is a good bet, but far from a sure thing. I'd rather get away from some of the crowds and catch fluke in peace in BB. Good luck if you go. Some are catching 20+lb fish there.

Comment

For the macs, some are still being reported in the ditch, but I think south of Boston in general they are moving out to cooler waters.

Comment

Working...
                  X