4th July Stripers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4th July Stripers

I will be at Jonas Green at 5 am. - trolling for stripers. I have not been to Jonas Green prior, but local word is across from the launch there is a channel then an oyster bar- which can produce. I guess most folks cross the river and go up to Weems- Are there stripers in the creek as well?- is it worth going out to the point past Navy. I remember some good posts from last yr there. Hows the launch side of the river- N or S. Just troll and get a feel I suppose. the other option is Beverly Triton- Any thoughts or advice. I know for sure several of you will be out there as well- I plan on getting off the water before the yahoos start motoring around!-

I was out today. I was distracted from crabbing by Striper marks and fish breaking... I brought fishing gear as well and trolled a bit, catching a handful but only 15-17". I was not far from jonas green, on the same side of the river., toward the mouth. They were on the edge 8-12'. While working the piers for perch I also caught a short striper and had another one following it that looked to be close to keeper sized. I kept the one on the line in the water and dropped another lure, but he didn't take. I really only spent 40 minutes trying for striper.

There's definitely some around...
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by jbrown View Post
      I will be at Jonas Green at 5 am. - trolling for stripers. I have not been to Jonas Green prior, but local word is across from the launch there is a channel then an oyster bar- which can produce. I guess most folks cross the river and go up to Weems- Are there stripers in the creek as well?- is it worth going out to the point past Navy. I remember some good posts from last yr there. Hows the launch side of the river- N or S. Just troll and get a feel I suppose. the other option is Beverly Triton- Any thoughts or advice. I know for sure several of you will be out there as well- I plan on getting off the water before the yahoos start motoring around!-
      I was out on the Severn real early yesterday and did very well trolling. I caught a total of around 20 stripers trolling between the Rt. 450 and Rt. 50 bridge, including a 21 incher. Most were in the 15-19 inch range. The depth was anywhere from 15'-30' and I noticed that all the marks were in the top 10' of the water column. I also caught a 26 incher north of the Rt. 50 bridge that was hiding in a school of dinks. Good day overall.

I haven't been out to Greenbury Point since April 28, but I think I was there the day all the medium stripers introduced themselves to the Severn for 2017! I was with 2 other guys and for about 2 hours, we couldn't bring them in fast enough. All were over 25" and I caught 2 that were over 30" - all along the seawall in about 4' of water. It was ridiculous. Attached is a photo of one from that day, stretching from my knee to my foot!
      2017-04-28 10.20.47.jpg

I am going to try to get out there again tomorrow between 5:00 and 5:30. See you on the water.
      Jim McFalls
      MSG US Army Retired
      US Army Field Band Jazz Ambassadors Class of 1998

2018 Hobie Revo 13 - Sea Grass
      2015 Elie Coast 120XE Angler - Yellow/White
      2015 Pelican Unison 136t Tandem - Orange/White
      Instagram - @jmcfalls1960
      YouTube - Jimbo the Fishin' Musician

Comment

Guys- that's great info!- Just what I needed. I am in a black Mazda 3 with a grey Hobie Outback- yellow paddle as my flag. Lets get on 'em!-

Comment

Originally posted by jbrown View Post
          Guys- that's great info!- Just what I needed. I am in a black Mazda 3 with a grey Hobie Outback- yellow paddle as my flag. Lets get on 'em!-
          How did you do? I think I may have missed you - I launched about 5:20.
          Jim McFalls
          MSG US Army Retired
          US Army Field Band Jazz Ambassadors Class of 1998

2018 Hobie Revo 13 - Sea Grass
          2015 Elie Coast 120XE Angler - Yellow/White
          2015 Pelican Unison 136t Tandem - Orange/White
          Instagram - @jmcfalls1960
          YouTube - Jimbo the Fishin' Musician

Comment

Nice pics and status. I've gotten 3 stripper keepers this year. I'm heading out with my son-in-law thursday. I'll tell you all how I do.

Best Regards,
            Stan
            Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

Originally posted by manlystanley View Post
              Nice pics and status. I've gotten 3 stripper keepers this year. I'm heading out with my son-in-law thursday. I'll tell you all how I do.

Best Regards,
              Stan
              I did great. I caught about 20 fish about 100 yards from the launch. Caught three over 21 inches within the first half an hour. Cruised around just for fun after that and caught several other small ones before the bite turned off at 8 am.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
              X