Slower/lower Sunday, July 2nd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slower/lower Sunday, July 2nd

Big Mike and I were going to fish Piney Point but we couldn't agree on launch times so we each fished it differently...Mike launched around 8 am and I launched at 10 am...Mike advised the public launch was filled, so I launched from Jack Russell's soft launch on St. George's Island...I will let Mike report on his fishing...first thing I noticed was the launch is pretty small, maybe a dozen vehicles could park...but well maintained. The bottom is all oyster shells so good wading shoes are essential...no flip flops are advised...the mouth of the harbor is shallow and the channel is narrow, so pay attention or you will be in less than 2 FOW. Lots of crab pots line the edge of the channel...coming across the St. George's Creek was bumpy mainly from boat traffic speeding down from the public launch...but there was a cross wind blowing and that wind had piled up floating grass...and the grass beds were at their peak growth...I fished a XR10 XRap and a 1/4 oz. Bomber Shad jig head with a 4 inch pearl and chart Assassin swim body on the trip across...nada...nothing, no hits, no bumps...I fished the channel edges that normally produce quality fish for me but they were not cooperating...got Big Mike on the radio and he was headed in to the launch...I saw his PA in the distance and we were headed in different directions...I headed for the shallow flats to prospect for Redfish, speckled trout and white perch...switch out rods to my light weight Shimano Stradic FI 2500 with 10# braid and two feet of 20# florocarbon leader. I was using my cobbled together "Redfish Magic" lure...a safety-pin gold blade Hildebrand spinner, a Bomber 1/8 oz red Shad Jig head and a 3 inch Fat Sam white mullet soft plastic...first cast was perfect...hit within inches of the sod bank and the drag was humming as a nice Redfish headed for deeper water...on light spinning tackle these fish give a good fight...after three pretty impressive runs I boated a really fat 19 inch Redfish...on the stringer it went...love me some fresh blackened Redfish...I saw a Redfish chasing minnows fifty yards away and positioned the Lady Luck within casting distance...I cast well past the fish and brought the lure to it...another drag burning run in 18 inches of water...second Redfish was just a tad over 18 inches...but fat and frisky...surprise catch of the day was a 12 inch Flounder...the sun was sapping yesterday...drank two 16 oz. bottles of Propel...electrolytes to prevent leg cramps...us old guys...third Redfish was a duplication of the second...nice fight, great fish, but it was really getting hot out...my buddy Kevin Fry was supposed to join me but he texted that he forgot his paddle...since I had been out three hours, I decided to call it and head back the mile or so across to St. George's Island launch...swapped out the rod for trolling setup and headed back...fish were cooperating on the channel edge...both rods went down...invariably I chose the rod with the smaller fish...but the second fish came unbuttoned at the boat...all C&R anyway...on the way back, I had a half dozen or so nice big school stripers of near legal size...at the launch Jack came over while I was recovering my Outback and marveled at our fishing kayaks and the simplicity of the design...stopped at the convience store in Callaway and picked up a bag of ice for the cooler bag and headed home...
    Last edited by ronaultmtd; 07-03-2017, 08:25 AM.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Great Report Ron! I like the details on the grass. That was an awesome day catching that many redfish in one outing. Great tides, but you endured the heat and were rewarded. Good Deal

Yak67
    2017 Hobie PA-12 camp
    2016 Hobie Outback LE#217

Comment

The white areas (Sandy bottom) between the grass beds on the flats held fish...but it was difficult to fish them with loose grass fouling the lure...Big schools of CNRs would come cruising by...polarized sunglasses were a necessity, yesterday...my Costa Hammerheads...love them...I was sweating like a 2 dollar prostitute in church...one thing I noticed...the striped bass on the flats...they were very pale...their stripes were almost completely bleached out...They changed color to match the sandy bottom...making them nearly invisible in 2 FOW...

Comment

Thanks for the report Ron. Congrats on the reds.

...and like you, I love blackened redfish!
        -manny

Hobie Outback
        Wilderness Systems 130T
        Hobie Outfitter

Comment

Manny- my wife doesn't like fish...but she likes blackened Redfish...she is from Louisiana, a real cajun...and she can cook...so she doesn't fuss if I bring home a Redfish...I wish they were as plentiful as they were a few years ago, but they are here if you know where to look for them...same with the speckled trout...my two favorite Inshore fish...

Comment

Ron -

It is good to hear that at least a few reds are showing up in Maryland waters. Nice job.
            John Veil
            Annapolis
            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I really need to get down south with you guys, I've never caught a red

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Ditto!
                Originally posted by brianisoutside View Post
                I really need to get down south with you guys, I've never caught a red

MOC a.k.a. "Machburner the Crab Whisperer"
                2016 Hobie Outback LE
                Kayak Crabbing since 2011 and Snaggedline member since 2009
                https://www.youtube.com/user/machburner

Comment

Oh how I wish we could say come on down and we'll put you on them. I fished for drum that day using similar lures in almost the exact same spots and although I caught some very nice stripers, no drum for me that day. They're here, just not swimming around in huge numbers
                  Mike
                  Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
                    Oh how I wish we could say come on down and we'll put you on them. I fished for drum that day using similar lures in almost the exact same spots and although I caught some very nice stripers, no drum for me that day. They're here, just not swimming around in huge numbers
                    Yea that's fishing. But just the chance at them or a trout would be worth the drive, oh and the change of scenery. Fishing up here is just stripers, perch and the always annoying rays.

Comment

Awesome report Ron. I can actually see you stalking the fish!
                      2018 Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Working...
                      X