Limited out on the Severn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Limited out on the Severn

I made my usual pre-severn trip to Naval Bagel for breakfast and then launched from Jonas Green around 6:30 AM today. The tide was projected to be slack low around 6:00, so I was hoping to catch both the colder morning water temperatures and the tide swing. I trolled three rods all rigged with variations of 3/4 oz jig heads (yellow bug, white, and red) with 4" paddle tails (Chartreuse, Violet Moon, Albino Ghost, and Opening Night). I usually troll the mouth of the Severn, but with the winds projected to be >15mph at the mouth, I wanted to explore new territories. I decided I wanted to go upriver and see some of the terrain on the way to Little Round Bay. I found a lot of areas of interest and couldn't get the schoolies to stop biting on the way out there. They were stacked up on the fish finder ranging from 4' to 15' with some larger class fish just underneath around 20'. Closer to Little Round Bay, my rod holder slammed back toward me in 24' of water and I reeled in a nice 22" Rockfish. I had another one that I eventually decided was barely under 20" by less than 1/8", I kept trying to get it to read 20", but I decided it wasn't worth it. I released it back to the river and fished on. I caught a few others of decent size around there (16-18") and then began making my way back to Jonas Green. Once again, I couldn't keep the schoolies off the line. As I neared JG, I hooked into a large Rockfish again, which ended up being 21" and this one was also in about 24-30' of water near the oyster bar. It was a great feeling being able to limit out as I was nearing my destination after logging over 14 miles. Since June, I've logged over 70 miles on my yak.
    J

That's a long trip. You had well-deserved results for your efforts.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Nice going. The Severn has not produced larger stripers for me this year. I'm pleased to see that those fish are out there, even if I can't find them.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Nice work! Sometimes it's the exploratory trips that become the most productive. Congrats!

Comment

Nicely done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          -manny

Hobie Outback
          Wilderness Systems 130T
          Hobie Outfitter

Comment

I have noticed that the bigger fish are slower...the schoolies get to the lure quicker...they dart in and grab the lure before the bigger fish...just a matter of volume...keep catching and releasing the schoolies and you will get the bigger fish...I caught dozens of school fish before I caught my 25 1/2 inch keeper...and it hit the same lure presented in the same way I had caught all the others in the same area...
            "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
            2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
            "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
            Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Great report and I am also finding that you have pick through the schoolies to find some keepers.

Comment

Thanks everyone! The larger fish that I caught were in areas that I was not catching schoolies. The smaller fish stopped biting for about 10 minutes before I caught each of the larger sized fish.
                J

Comment

Nice fish! Thanks for posting the report!
                  “Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead.”
                  ―Hemingway, The Old Man and the Sea

Comment

Working...
                  X