Need advice for first kayak trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice for first kayak trip

Hi, I'm new to this forum and need advice on selecting a first kayak lauching spot in the bay area.
    I always wanted to try kayak fishing. Watching youtube videos on kayak fishing seems so much fun, but with two kids, it wasn't easy to spare time.
    Now our family except me will be traveling abroad for a few weeks, and I want to finally try kayak fishing!
    My neighbor has a small sit in kayak I can borrow. I don't think its for saltwater but I'd love to take it out and try what I really wanted to do.
    I read a lot about kayak fishing but have zero experience. Is there any relatively easy spot/area you'd like to recommend? I live in Fairfax, VA area. I went to Solomons island last summer for vacation and it's fairly close to me and seemed the water wasn't that rough. Or maybe Annapolis area?
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by tmc3p; 07-01-2017, 06:13 AM.
    Daniel

Feelfree Lure 11.5

What do you want to fish for? You mentioned VA AND MD there is so much water and options between there, try narrowing it down.

Comment

I was hoping to catch croakers, striped bass and etc. but i know this is my first trip so my expectation is not high. I just want to go out and have fun safely.

Daniel

Feelfree Lure 11.5

Comment

First off make sure you have the proper fishing license to fish saltwater. Maryland and Virginia honor each other's license but you may need to register on line (I know Md has to in VA, not sure other way). A good safe place to fish depends on winds, I was on the Patuxent this morning near Solomons and winds were unfavorable. A place like Clarks Landing across the river from Solomons might be a good starting point as it's largely protected from winds in the creek and you aren't too far from shore unless you ventured way out into the Pax. Look for points on land and try fishing near them.
        Mike
        Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

I have fishing license for Maryland and Delaware so I think im good. I'll look for Clarks Landing. Thanks for your advice!

Daniel

Feelfree Lure 11.5

Comment

Just a word of advise if this is your first time in a kayak leave the rod at home find a calm relatively safe area as in NO OPEN water ,and learn the boat first.for example I fished the Susquehanna flats this morning and there were 2-3ft rolling waves.conditions can change in an instant just be careful start slow and progress and enjoy.
            Snow Camo Lure 11.5
            Pod mounted 30lbs trolling motor
            Hummingbird Helix 5
            Kayak fishing and inviting! Doing what I love!

Comment

Also if don't don't mind driving to Harford county,I have spare sit on top ,PDF,and paddle .I would be more than happen to bring ,lend you and show what I have learned,I fish from Tydyings memorial park or lapidum .if interested shot me a message.
              Snow Camo Lure 11.5
              Pod mounted 30lbs trolling motor
              Hummingbird Helix 5
              Kayak fishing and inviting! Doing what I love!

Comment

I totally agree with you. I know I'll be very tempted to bring my rod and jump in fishing right away. But I see your point. Thank you!!

Daniel

Feelfree Lure 11.5

Comment

Thanks blackjack! I'll shot you a message.
                  Daniel

Feelfree Lure 11.5

Comment

#1 safety first - at some point you will fall out / turtle. Make sure valuables are leashed, and everything has a float device as necessary. Learn how to re-enter your yak from the water. Focus on minimalism, I like to bring the everything and the kitchen sink when I fish, and i've been making a point to limit what i load onto the boat.
                    Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Working...
                    X