Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Outside Kayak Rack Design - What is everyone using?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smithmal View Post
    Chris,

The only weak point with that product would be the straps. Can you order replacement straps or does it look like you can easily replace them with OEM straps?

smithmal
    The straps do not appear to be special, but you can order replacements from their website.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I just came across this on YouTube.

The design seems very sturdy.

https://youtu.be/j57dzJfHX_k
      -manny

Hobie Outback
      Wilderness Systems 130T
      Hobie Outfitter

Comment

Thanks for sharing. I wonder how well this design would hold up out in the elements. It probably would be okay if she used more rugged hardware and painted on some Thompson's Water Repellent.

smithmal
        smithmal

2017 Native Ultimate 12 (Lagoon Blue)
        Bending Branches Angler Pro Plus Paddle

2016 Old Town Twin Heron Tandem (Mango)

2012 Nova Craft Pal 16' in Royalex-Lite (Burgundy)

1990 Radisson 12' (SportsPal)

Comment

I just picked up a shed this past weekend, and have to make a trip to the store for lumber to add some rigidity. The yotuube video above is a slick design, i'll be construction something very similar to wards the end of the month, and anchor/attaching directly to the side of an outbuilding.
          Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

My buddy built this one. He has a couple of yaks so this worked great. Kinda made me go "duh." You can put feet on it to get it up off the ground a bit. I'm going with this as soon as I get some time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPWhd394Tzo

Comment

I really wish I had the indoor space. You're right, the simplicity of construction looks ideal; i'd probably upsize the verticals to hold anything hefty i.e. a ProAngler.
              Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Originally posted by smithmal View Post
                Not sure if this is in the correct sub-forum...

In preparation for a new yak, I was wondering what the best rack design would be if I intended to store my yak outdoors. I have no room for house/garage storage so outdoors it has to be.

What outdoor rack design are people using? I've read about racks supported by fences as well as ones that are suspended. Pics and/or links of your setup or design would be helpful.

Thanks!

smithmal
                I'll try to send you a picture later (If you'd like). I have a 2 car attached garage and a 2 car detached garage. The detached garage is mine to use. So, I built a kayak stand that:

-- Can hold 3 yaks. One on the garage floor, one in the middle, one on top. I only use the one in the middle. The other two are covered with my stuff.

-- It is made out of:

++> 2x4's that hold up the three levels.
                ++> Each of the levels has 6 2x6's (by 16 feet long). So the entire project took:
                -- 12 2x6x16's
                -- 4 2x4x8's
                ++> In my case, only the feet are pressure treated. If this is to go to the outside, all wood needs to be PT.

-- A nice thing, is that the middle level is the height of my truck. So, I just need to slide my yak from my truck to middle layer of the stand. It's quick and easy.

-- The one side of the stand is screwed into the garage wall. But, after 3 years, the 16 ft span has shown no signs of sagging.

Tell me if you'd like pictures.

Best Regards,
                Stan
                Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

Working...
                X