Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Outside Kayak Rack Design - What is everyone using?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outside Kayak Rack Design - What is everyone using?

Not sure if this is in the correct sub-forum...

In preparation for a new yak, I was wondering what the best rack design would be if I intended to store my yak outdoors. I have no room for house/garage storage so outdoors it has to be.

What outdoor rack design are people using? I've read about racks supported by fences as well as ones that are suspended. Pics and/or links of your setup or design would be helpful.

Thanks!

smithmal
    smithmal

2017 Native Ultimate 12 (Lagoon Blue)
    Bending Branches Angler Pro Plus Paddle

2016 Old Town Twin Heron Tandem (Mango)

2012 Nova Craft Pal 16' in Royalex-Lite (Burgundy)

1990 Radisson 12' (SportsPal)

Either of these designs seem feasible. They caught my eye when I did an internet search recently regarding the same topic.

d1cb714c1afa77a18c77de01a7165dc9[1].jpg
    601cc6374e3ba0964503c45c821bea5c[1].jpg
    -manny

Hobie Outback
    Wilderness Systems 130T
    Hobie Outfitter

Comment

That PVC version is simple and functional.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I was up and Gander Mountain during their final closeout sale, and someone had already put a deposit on the kayak "fixture" before me.

That PVC rack looks durable/functional/economical - I'm not sure it would hold the behemoth of a Pro Angler however.
        Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

I store my kayaks directly above my garage door.

Closed the door and installed a heavy duty threaded hook into the ceiling framing.

On the other end I installed another hook and secured it with a cam lock binder strap. Makes it easy to push the yak up with one hand while pulling the binder strap with the other.

Works great and takes advantage of the unusable space above the garage door.
          Last edited by Tyrone Shoes; 07-10-2017, 11:16 PM.

Comment

Anyone incorporate security into their outside storage rack? Has anyone heard of their kayak being stolen? I know bikes are readily stolen off of people's property, but not sure about kayaks.

Sent from my LG-V500 using Tapatalk
            smithmal

Comment

security is always an issue.

#1 - Out of Sight, Out of Mind - Cover your expensive gear with some cladding (tarp, blanked, rigging, sheathing, etc)

#2 - Have Insurance - If someone wants to steal something, they will do whatever necessary to accomplish said thievery

#3 - Locking Mechanisms & Exterior Video Security - You're only as protected as you want / need to be. If you already have a home surveillance system, adding some exterior PoE cameras is very simple. With todays technology, you can open an app on your smart phone and see real-time video to be sure you gear is sleeping safe and sound where you stored it/them.
              Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Outside Kayak Rack Design - What is everyone using?

Long time listener...first time poster.

Set two 8ft 6x6 posts and attached suspenz flat racks for the ATAK 140 and Pescador 100. The racks were purchased at ACK with a 30% off coupon for each and the ATAK is locked with a bike rack and covered with a tarp. The tension on the straps is tightened so that it isn't touching the metal racks. No oil canning or dents....So far so good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

King,

Welcome to the forum.

You do nice work.
                  Mark
                  Pasadena, MD

Comment

Originally posted by King View Post

Long time listener...first time poster.

Set two 8ft 6x6 posts and attached suspenz flat racks for the ATAK 140 and Pescador 100. The racks were purchased at ACK with a 30% off coupon for each and the ATAK is locked with a bike rack and covered with a tarp. The tension on the straps is tightened so that it isn't touching the metal racks. No oil canning or dents....So far so good!

King,

Thanks for the reply. What product did you use that holds your yaks in place with the straps? I intend to also use posts cemented into the ground and then somehow secure the yak to the posts for security purposes. I think I will add a sign next to the kayak rack indicating that the area is under surveillance (something like this perhaps). I'll also have the rack inside my yard in which two dogs are generally surveying the area by day. I think these three components (lock, surveillance and dogs) would be enough of a deterrent for any prospective thief to move on down the road.

Thanks for everyone's great ideas!

smithmal
                    smithmal

Comment

Originally posted by smithmal View Post
                      King,

Thanks for the reply. What product did you use that holds your yaks in place with the straps? I intend to also use posts cemented into the ground and then somehow secure the yak to the posts for security purposes. I think I will add a sign next to the kayak rack indicating that the area is under surveillance (something like this perhaps). I'll also have the rack inside my yard in which two dogs are generally surveying the area by day. I think these three components (lock, surveillance and dogs) would be enough of a deterrent for any prospective thief to move on down the road.

Thanks for everyone's great ideas!

smithmal
                      I used this product (but purchased with a 30% off coupon) from ACK:

http://www.austinkayak.com/products/...-SUP-Rack.html

It was easy to install and has an opening which allows a standard bike to pass through in order to secure it through a scupper hole. The maximum width that it can handle is 34 inches so I'm just at the peak of usability with the ATAK.

The bike lock is just to keep out the honest people...but I think the weight of the ATAK (and a lot of our fishing kayaks for that matter) are going to deter most people. Hopefully their eyes are bigger than their stomachs!

Chris

Comment

Nice. Wow 30% off coupon from AKC. How often do those come around?

smithmal

Comment

Originally posted by smithmal View Post
                          Nice. Wow 30% off coupon from AKC. How often do those come around?

It was actually 20% off...my memory was foggy. They'll have coupons of 20% off one item frequently.

Comment

It was actually 20% off...my memory was foggy. They'll have coupons of 20% off one item frequently.

They'll usually send you a coupon for a subsequent order with each purchase and always a coupon on your birthday.
                            Mark
                            Pasadena, MD

Comment

I used this product (but purchased with a 30% off coupon) from ACK:

http://www.austinkayak.com/products/...-SUP-Rack.html

It was easy to install and has an opening which allows a standard bike to pass through in order to secure it through a scupper hole. The maximum width that it can handle is 34 inches so I'm just at the peak of usability with the ATAK.

The bike lock is just to keep out the honest people...but I think the weight of the ATAK (and a lot of our fishing kayaks for that matter) are going to deter most people. Hopefully their eyes are bigger than their stomachs!

Chris

Chris,

The only weak point with that product would be the straps. Can you order replacement straps or does it look like you can easily replace them with OEM straps?

smithmal
                              smithmal

Comment

Working...
                              X