Windy day at Kent Island - 6/30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windy day at Kent Island - 6/30

Launched around 7:00 am to a strong south wind, which is about the worst direction for the location. Fought my way through the wind and chop to the deeper area I had success at a few weeks ago. I struggled to keep my speed above 1 mph and was taking waves over the bow. I had to pull the foam golf balls I use as plugs from the supper holes to let the water drain out. When I got out there I didn't see any fish or bait and was fed up with the wind so I changed my game plan and moved close to shore where it was ever so slightly more protected. I trolled through a shallow area where I caught several small fish so I decided to drift through it and cast. I did this a number of times and pretty much every cast got at least a bump, but despite throwing 5" and 6" paddletails, every fish except for two 18 inchers were less than 15". I decided to get crazy in an attempt to weed out any larger fish and put on an 8" paddletail. It didn't work. First cast I catch this 14" fish. It's crazy the size lures rockfish will take down.

greedy.jpg

I caught a couple more fish in the area and moved on to some docks, which was no easy task with the wind pushing me at 1.5-2 mph. The first dock I hooked up with a 17" fish that was followed by another similar sized fish trying to take the jig out of his mouth. First cast to the next dock must have hit this guy on the head as I hooked up immediately. It measured 25".

25incher.jpg

Third dock produced as well. Caught a 20.5" rock. This one had a pretty heavy external parasite load. Not sure if they are sea lice or something else. Probably would have been fine to hang on to, but I've had a decent early summer so I released it.

Red spots on the fins:
    parasite1.jpg

Blob of parasites on the eye:
    parasite2.jpg

Caught a few more small fish on my way in. Probably 30 or so fish on the day. If it weren't for the wind I could have stayed out all day. It was beautiful otherwise.
    Last edited by Crotalus; 06-30-2017, 05:09 PM.
    Kevin

2013 Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Nice report - thanks for sharing !!

Comment

Nice job on finding a few larger fish. The wind made things tough today.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Glad to hear you were able to find some decent-sized fish. From reading yours and John V's postings it sounds like it was a tough day on the water, but persistence and trying new locations paid off in the end. Congrats!
        -manny

Hobie Outback
        Wilderness Systems 130T
        Hobie Outfitter

Comment

Working...
        X