Can't figure out these cats...Mattawoman and vicinity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't figure out these cats...Mattawoman and vicinity

When I find them, I find them in proliferation...catching them like bluegill. When I don't...I can't buy a bite. I know slack tides are bad, I know shallow water is incredibly productive...Do I set up in the edges of surface grass? In it? Today I had three fish in 10 minutes near peak high tide in the deeper water between two patches of lotus...Then nothing. A month ago I had 10 in an hour in the visible grass at an incoming tide...Next day same place same tide nothing for hours.

My mind says the outside (deep) edges of visible grass on incoming tide and maybe in it...but this hasn't been my experience.

I'm also having way, way better luck on beef liver than chicken breast but maybe I'm doing the chicken wrong if someone wants to talk me through that...

I'm in Smallwood through Sunday if anyone wants to join. All kayaks no big boats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2016 NuCanoe Pursuit 13.5
    2015 F&S Shadowcaster 12
    2008 Ocean Kayak Scrambler XT 12
    2011 Native Ultimate 14.5

Try chunk bluegill or white perch. Deep holes this time of year at high tide are your best choice for good eaters. The mid day bite will not be that good as the water warms even more. Try to find a high tide around dark or early morning and fish it.

You can dunk the chunk on your circle hook in Gulp juice..and bring them to you.

Capt Mike

Comment

Originally posted by captmikestarrett View Post
      Try chunk bluegill or white perch. Deep holes this time of year at high tide are your best choice for good eaters. The mid day bite will not be that good as the water warms even more. Try to find a high tide around dark or early morning and fish it.

You can dunk the chunk on your circle hook in Gulp juice..and bring them to you.

Capt Mike
      Thanks. I had sent missed a bunch of them last night including one that took a whole trout head. My mojo must be off. :/

2016 NuCanoe Pursuit 13.5
      2015 F&S Shadowcaster 12
      2008 Ocean Kayak Scrambler XT 12
      2011 Native Ultimate 14.5

Comment

raw chicken breast
        Ryan
        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

i might be able to come up on sunday. would you be willing to launch somewhere else nearby?
          Native Watercraft Pro Staff
          2016 Native Watercraft Slayer Propel 13 Lizard Lick

2016 CCA MD "BLUE CAT" Tournament 2nd place
          33rd MSSA "THE CHAMPIONSHIP" Tournament 1st place
          2016 Curley's White Perch Tournament 1st place

Comment

I'm also in for a Sunday shindig, open to any launch location LMK.
            Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

In Mattawoman I have had good luck with just good old night crawlers. That being said raw chicken breast is my go to bait.

When you launch from the ramp go to the right about 50 yards, there is a nice trench just at the end of the fence line on land. You can anchor on either side and cast into the middle. There have been a lot of good eating size cats pulled out of there and MOC pulled a 34 - 36" carp out of it a few years back on night crawlers. Work it on an out going tide if possible but any moving water is good.

As far as using raw chicken breast, it doesn't have to be a huge piece of meat. A little bigger then a 50 cent piece on a fish finder rig will do.
              Jim

Hobie Outback
              TKAA member
              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers inc.

Everyone should believe in something... I believe I'll go fishing.

Comment

Originally posted by WVKayakFisher View Post
                Thanks. I had sent missed a bunch of them last night including one that took a whole trout head. My mojo must be off. :/

If you find they are picking up your bait and running with it then spitting it out, change up to J hooks and set the hook.. I see it more in very cold water but sometimes they just don't take the bait deep enough to get the circle hook stuck.
                Jim

Hobie Outback
                TKAA member
                Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers inc.

Everyone should believe in something... I believe I'll go fishing.

Comment

Fished Mattawoman for cats once and pulled dozen of mixed cats with biggest one being 24" and 8lbs, others in 4lbs range. I had zero luck with cut fish or chicken breast all fish came from chicken liver.
                  I would be interested in joining someone in fishing Wilson bridge, we can organize small group and share results
                  Ocean Kayak Trident 13
                  Have fun,
                  Russ

Comment

Working...
                  X