Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smithmal View Post
    Kevinfry,

Thanks for posting your experience with the X-Factor. I've read that it is very stable. The critique video I posted on it has me worried though. Could you take a look at that video and let me know if the video OP's gripes were true (especially about the seat which literally broke while he was reviewing the yak).

smithmal
    i dont see the xfactor video.....the one with the seat issue was the ascend i thought
    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

http://dnr2.maryland.gov/Boating/Pag...istration.aspx
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
        I agree that the Ultimate 12 is an excellent fishing kayak for the waters smithmal mentioned. I like it so much that my Revo has been wet only 4 times this year. The reason I didn't suggest that he add an Ultimate 12 to his list is because he said weight wasn't an issue. It weighs slightly more than 1/2 as much as the kayaks he is favoring. In my eyes that's an asset but if he's going to trailer it, lightness wouldn't matter much. However, car-topping would add greatly to the number of sites where he could launch it. And it meets each of his other criteria.

I reviewed the boat on Snaggedline perhaps before smithmal joined the forum. Here it is:

http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...ltimate+Review

smithmal -- If you want to test paddle it, PM me.
        John and Mark,

Thanks for suggesting the Native Ultimate 12. I watched some vids on it and it looks pretty stable and its a very roomy clean design. Obviously without scuppers and b/c it's a sit in, taking it out where it could get some water would be a big mistake. I notices the deck isn't also completely flat (which I'd like to see) and the seat sits in it pretty low. Have you had any arm movement issues when fishing b/c of how low in the yak the seat is?

What are your thoughts about the Ultimate 12 vs. the Ultimate FX 12. I read that you sit higher and the sides are higher allowing it to deal with rougher water better. I've also read that the FX is more stable.

I actually just met a Native rep that indicated that he could get me a Native boat at cost if I wanted so Native is on my list.

smithmal
        smithmal

2017 Native Ultimate 12 (Lagoon Blue)
        Bending Branches Angler Pro Plus Paddle

2016 Old Town Twin Heron Tandem (Mango)

2012 Nova Craft Pal 16' in Royalex-Lite (Burgundy)

1990 Radisson 12' (SportsPal)

Comment

Originally posted by kevinfry View Post
          i dont see the xfactor video.....the one with the seat issue was the ascend i thought
          Kevinfry,

Sorry... looking at too many yaks has got my brain fried. What I noticed about the X-factor is that it comes with an unbelievable amount of storage. It's also long and has a huge weight capacity. I still run into the issue of the center console not allowing for a lot of room on the floor deck. Do you have one? What do you think? Evidently the seat is crap. I see Malibu has released a new seat which doubles as a fishing lean support which is pretty cool (probably pretty pricey though).

smithmal
          smithmal

Comment

Speaking of sub $1000 yaks. Does anyone know anything about Cabela's Advanced Angler's 120 yak?

Huge floor deck with nice storage area for putting FF, battery and transducer. Heavy though (100lbs). Also comes with Cabela's lifetime warranty (not sure how good that is, but it does set it apart from other yaks). Looks like this boat is made by FeelFree.

smithmal
            smithmal

Comment

my xfactor has the old style seat, not the lawnchair type, so i cant speak to that.
              if you want an open deck for standing and casting, you don't really have any boats on the list with that feature except the ascend. The xfactor would be the more restrictive platform than other boats on the list

Comment

John and Mark,

Thanks for suggesting the Native Ultimate 12. I watched some vids on it and it looks pretty stable and its a very roomy clean design. Obviously without scuppers and b/c it's a sit in, taking it out where it could get some water would be a big mistake. I notices the deck isn't also completely flat (which I'd like to see) and the seat sits in it pretty low. Have you had any arm movement issues when fishing b/c of how low in the yak the seat is?

What are your thoughts about the Ultimate 12 vs. the Ultimate FX 12. I read that you sit higher and the sides are higher allowing it to deal with rougher water better. I've also read that the FX is more stable.

I actually just met a Native rep that indicated that he could get me a Native boat at cost if I wanted so Native is on my list.

smithmal
                As I mentioned in my review, I paddle it on the Severn and I have taken on water on occasion. I was in a 2 foot chop that developed after I crossed the river. I had to re-cross to get back to my launch site. The vast majority of time I get no water in the hull other than drips from my paddle. But that's because I'm judicious in its use. And frankly, a little water over the bow is not a reason to panic. I've also paddled the 14 ft. version of the Ultimate in FL in heavy wind and seas miles from shore and taken on a lot more water -- to the point that it was sloshing at my feet. The kayak still handled well and I felt in no danger.

In any kayak with adjustable seats, higher you set the seat the more you increase the possibility of being top heavy. Even if my Ultimate had a higher seat setting, I wouldn't use it. I would keep my seat on the lower setting. The Ultimate 12 seat is a few inches off the floor. I've never felt it was too low, but is low enough to offer good stability. My lap is even with the gunnels. I therefore have no trouble reaching the water with my paddle.

The FX version is slightly larger all around -- a little wider, a little deeper and a little longer. These increases are only inches or even less than an inch depending on the portion of the boat being measured. You can compare the dimensions on-line. The increases may provide a little more sea-worthiness but frankly not to the point you'd notice on smaller water in normal conditions. The FX also has padding/mats on the floor and gunnels that the Ultimate 12 lacks. Of course it is also considerably more costly than the Ultimate and a few pounds heavier.

However, I have thought of the FX as a possible replacement for my Revo to use in larger water. (I am finding that I enjoy paddling over pedaling.) One reason I would be more confident in the FX than my Ultimate 12 in larger water is that the FX has an option for a plastic apron over the bow to shed water. The Ultimate 12 does not. However, my friend John Rentch recently had a canvas apron custom made for his Ultimate 12. It looks nice and will indeed stop water from breaking over the bow in rougher seas. But again, it would take a lot of water coming over the side to disable the Ultimate. And even then it won't sink even if water reaches the gunnels. But you'd have to somehow get it to shore to empty it.

Regarding the deck, there are two channels on the port and starboard sides of the hull. But in between them is a large flat deck. The channels provide the stability that you are seeking. The deck area is spacious, especially compared to the small deck area of my Revo.

Again, if you want to see it up close or paddle it, let me know.
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Comment

Speaking of sub $1000 yaks. Does anyone know anything about Cabela's Advanced Angler's 120 yak?

Huge floor deck with nice storage area for putting FF, battery and transducer. Heavy though (100lbs). Also comes with Cabela's lifetime warranty (not sure how good that is, but it does set it apart from other yaks). Looks like this boat is made by FeelFree.

smithmal
                  i think it is made by old town.....looks like a low budget Predator.....IM Fishtank ...he has enjoyed his predator

Comment

John,

Looked up Jon Boats around me on craigslist and there are several used that are in my price point. They are pretty ragged though. The ones with the decent seats tend to be +$1000. Would I need to permit/register my boat with the state? What is the cost on that on an annual basis.

A Jon Boat would definitely be the most stable and allow me to go out with my kids and/or friends on occasion. Also, I can fit an electric motor to it (which your not allowed to do for kayaks when boating in Liberty Reservoir) so it would allow me to explore the Reservoir much easier. For these reasons, I can definitely see the pros in it vs. a yak.

smithmal
                    If you are using oars it does not need to be registered. I'm not sure what you are looking at specifically, but I see several on Craigslist that are decent for $500 or less. You can buy a brand new 12' for less than $900, and if you want comfy seats those are easy to add. For rowing I wouldn't recommend anything but the flat aluminum seat though. Rowing requires a wide range of motion and a seat is going to hinder that. It seems you are set on a kayak though, and nothing wrong with that. The kayak fishing craze just makes used jon boats that much cheaper! And I wouldn't worry about how old or beat up looking a jon boat is. If it doesn't leak you're good to go. The one I used as a kid is at least 20 years old and never spent a day out of the sun. The oar pockets are worn out, but the rest of the boat is still just fine and probably will be for another 20 years.
                    2015 Hobie Outback
                    2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

John has given you good advice on a Jon boat. Mine was over 15 years old when I bought it and I sold it 10 years ago. It still has a productive life on a lake in WV for its current owner. They're darned near indestructible. They're also subject to customization just like kayaks. You can keep it basic or add flooring, electronics, etc.

If you power it with an electric motor, it has to be registered with the state. I believe that costs $24 annually. I sent you a link earlier in this thread that provides MD registration info. I also carried insurance on mine, not for the value of the boat but as liability protection. It was an addendum to my car insurance. I don't remember how much but it was inexpensive.

Frankly, there is no perfect fishing boat and no perfect fishing kayak. Tradeoffs abound. You can paralyze yourself analyzing minutia. You will adapt to what whatever you purchase, appreciating its strengths and accommodating its weaknesses as you fish.

But from the conditions and requirements you have stated, I believe a Jon boat is something you should seriously consider.

Good luck,
                      Mark
                      Pasadena, MD

Comment

Another model to throw into the mix that is right around $1000 and is supposedly pretty stable and has a wide open deck:

Kaku Wahoo Kayak
                        Specs:
                        Length: 12.5 ft
                        Width: 33"
                        Weight: 74 lbs
                        Capacity: 400 lbs
                        Price: $900

You don't here much about it up here (mainly see people talking about it in FL), but it is available at a store in VA:
                        https://www.greentophuntfish.com/kaku-wahoo-lime-camo.html

smithmal
                        smithmal

Comment

Another model to throw into the mix that is right around $1000 and is supposedly pretty stable and has a wide open deck:

Kaku Wahoo Kayak
                          Specs:
                          Length: 12.5 ft
                          Width: 33"
                          Weight: 74 lbs
                          Capacity: 400 lbs
                          Price: $900

You don't here much about it up here (mainly see people talking about it in FL), but it is available at a store in VA:
                          https://www.greentophuntfish.com/kaku-wahoo-lime-camo.html

smithmal
                          nice...ifyou wanted a standing option, this boat works

Comment

We're there any decent sub-$1000 yaks on display at iCAST this year?

Sent from my LG-V500 using Tapatalk
                            smithmal

Comment

Easily the Vibe Sea ghost 130!!!
                              Croaker D

Orange Camo OK Trident 13

Green Camo Oldtown Predator PDL

Comment

Originally posted by croaker d View Post
                                Easily the Vibe Sea ghost 130!!!
                                That is a very nice looking kayak and has a lot of features for the price. Have you had a chance to paddle one? Curious how it behaves on the water....
                                Jackson Big Tuna
                                Jackson Cuda 14

Comment

Working...
                                X