Best sub-$1000 fishing yak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best sub-$1000 fishing yak?

I've decided, since I'm new to the game and not exactly sure how much I'll be able to yak fish with two small ones that keep me busy over the weekend, that it would be best to dip my toe into the yak fishing water rather than jumping in.

My preference is to get a good stable fishing yak boat. I'm a big guy (6' 250lbs), so stability is very important and, I'd like to have the option to stand up and fish (since I will primarily go lake fishing).

I've zero'd in on the following yaks (see table below). My preference is toward the F&S Shadow Caster (Dicks Sporting Goods; can get it @ $674 when on sale; can pick up local) and/or the Ascend FS12T (Bass Pro Shop; $650; can pick up local) which also happen to be the two least expensive.

There are many, many video reviews on both of these yaks. I have seen some negative marks in regards to the FS12T in terms of the seat (you can actually see it fail when this guy is reviewing the yak)

The biggest issue that I see with Shadow Caster is the weight. Weight is not much of an issue for me as I'll be trailering the yak. I'll also be primarily boating in calm conditions (lake) so even if the boat paddles like a barge, it shouldn't be too much of an issue. The Shadow Caster is thought of as a Lure clone (both the Lure and the Shadow Caster are made by the same manufacturer).

The other big issue with my top two picks is that unless you know someone that has one, its very hard to demo either of these before buying.

Are there any other sub $1000 yaks that fit my criteria (good stability) that I should include in my list?

Thanks,

smithmal
    Attached Files
    Last edited by smithmal; 06-29-2017, 11:29 AM.
    smithmal

2017 Native Ultimate 12 (Lagoon Blue)
    Bending Branches Angler Pro Plus Paddle

2016 Old Town Twin Heron Tandem (Mango)

2012 Nova Craft Pal 16' in Royalex-Lite (Burgundy)

1990 Radisson 12' (SportsPal)

You say weight is not "much of an issue" because you're going to trailer it. You want to stand in it. You noted that stability is very important. And you're primarily going to fish calm water.

Have you considered a Jon boat?

Many meet your price threshold even if you add a small trolling motor and battery to the mix.

https://www.loweboats.com/jon-boats/

You also could take your children in it.

Just a thought...
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I highly recommend purchasing a used kayak. All of mine were bought used from a website like this, or from Craigslist.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
        You say weight is not "much of an issue" because you're going to trailer it. You want to stand in it. You noted that stability is very important. And you're primarily going to fish calm water.

Have you considered a Jon boat?

Many meet your price threshold even if you add a small trolling motor and battery to the mix.

https://www.loweboats.com/jon-boats/

You also could take your children in it.

Just a thought...
        I second what Mark has suggested. So many people are overlooking the jon boat option with all these fishing kayaks on the market now. Growing up I fished practically everyday from a 10' jon boat with oars on a 20+ acre pond behind our house. Dog came with me, and a friend too occasionally. In my opinion a kayak is not the ideal platform for fishing small ponds/lakes, especially with the standing requirement. There are so many used jon boats out there, and they are just as easy to load/unload from a pickup or trailer. A kayak is made to cover lots of ground efficiently. A jon boat is made to cover small water comfortably.

If you decide you have to have a kayak, I second DanMarino's recommendation of buying used. If it doesn't work out you can most likely sell it for no loss, and if you do like it you'll most likely have a better quality boat. Later you can upgrade to new boat when you better understand your specific needs.
        2015 Hobie Outback
        2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Would love to get a used kayak, but options are limited at my price point for a stable yak with a good seat and when good deals do show up, they are gone quick. Also, I wonder if Liberty would you to use their water if your yak is used.

Will look into Jon boat though. Are they easy to paddle with?

One of the things I like about yaks vs. boats is that you feel like your more "one with nature" if you get my drift as you are closer to the water. No fuel powered yaks allowed at Liberty (which is where I'm going to fish) so I'd have to get an electric (which is additional cost; I'm assuming $150 for decent motor and battery?).

Smithmal

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
          Last edited by smithmal; 06-29-2017, 02:12 PM.
          smithmal

Comment

Originally posted by smithmal View Post
            Would love to get a used kayak, but options are limited at my price point for a stable yak with a good seat and when good deals do show up, they are gone quick. Also, I wonder if Liberty would you to use their water if your yak is used.

Will look into Jon boat though. Are they easy to paddle with?

Smithmal

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
            I spoke from experience.

I owned a small aluminum trailered boat that I powered with a Minn Kota trolling motor. It would run all day on a single charge. It was a great fishing boat for my uses.

I cannot address its ease of paddling since I relied on the motor. I bet, however, that even a "barge" kayak as you mentioned, would be easier to paddle than a Jon boat.

I fished Piney Run, Lake Marburg, Gifford Pinchot, Trap Pond, and many of MD’s Eastern Shore ponds with my boat.

The fishing skills I learned in it transferred nicely to my kayak.

However, given my boat was trailered, and I lived as I do now in Anne Arundel County, the time required to travel to the above sites became a hindrance. I sold it. However, if I lived close to a freshwater impoundment, I bet I would still have it.

I’ve since been the beneficiary of Anne Arundel County’s efforts to increase car-top launch sites into its tidal waters. A kayak is a more practical alternative for me. But I loved that boat.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Comment

A jon boat with oars can get around pretty well. Keep in mind one stroke while rowing is 2x one stroke while paddling. Later down the road if you decide you're tired of rowing, you can take Mark's suggestion of putting a trolling motor on it and have the ultimate pond setup. I was a kid when I had my jon boat, so finding energy to row was never an issue.
              2015 Hobie Outback
              2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

I had a Vibe Sea Ghost 130 and Loved it. For $900 you get a great stadium style seat with HI/LO position, a rudder and a paddle. I'm 6'3" at 275 and I felt very comfortable in it. However I went with a Hobie Outback, so I sold it. Great people to deal with also.
                2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

Vibe Ghost 130 i've heard great reviews, anltho no first hand experience.

I've also heard good things regarding the FeelFree Lure, a friend picked one up recently for around your price range, and he loves it.

Also, we picked up a used Hobie Outback (see signature) for a little higher than your price range, but I could easily sell two accessories it came with and be sub-$1000 on the price. Granted, New vs Used, Warranty vs As-Is Where-Is, I can see both sides of the coin if you're leaning towards brand new.

McH
                  Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Another kayak not on your initial list that is a wonderful boat for flat water and for tidal water on calm days is the Native Ultimate 12. http://nativewatercraft.com/product/ultimate-12/.

It is lightweight (44 lbs hull weight), very stable, standable, and roomy. Both Mark and John Rentch got this boat during the past two years and are using that kayak more frequently than their pedal-drive kayaks.

The retail price on that kayak is $949. I posted about six weeks ago that Cabelas in Delaware was closing their stock out for several hundred dollars less than that. I don't know if they still have any in stock at the sale price.
                    John Veil
                    Annapolis
                    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                      Another kayak not on your initial list that is a wonderful boat for flat water and for tidal water on calm days is the Native Ultimate 12. http://nativewatercraft.com/product/ultimate-12/.

It is lightweight (44 lbs hull weight), very stable, standable, and roomy. Both Mark and John Rentch got this boat during the past two years and are using that kayak more frequently than their pedal-drive kayaks.

The retail price on that kayak is $949. I posted about six weeks ago that Cabelas in Delaware was closing their stock out for several hundred dollars less than that. I don't know if they still have any in stock at the sale price.
                      I agree that the Ultimate 12 is an excellent fishing kayak for the waters smithmal mentioned. I like it so much that my Revo has been wet only 4 times this year. The reason I didn't suggest that he add an Ultimate 12 to his list is because he said weight wasn't an issue. It weighs slightly more than 1/2 as much as the kayaks he is favoring. In my eyes that's an asset but if he's going to trailer it, lightness wouldn't matter much. However, car-topping would add greatly to the number of sites where he could launch it. And it meets each of his other criteria.

I reviewed the boat on Snaggedline perhaps before smithmal joined the forum. Here it is:

http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...ltimate+Review

smithmal -- If you want to test paddle it, PM me.
                      Mark
                      Pasadena, MD

Comment

Originally posted by smithmal View Post
                        I've decided, since I'm new to the game and not exactly sure how much I'll be able to yak fish with two small ones that keep me busy over the weekend, that it would be best to dip my toe into the yak fishing water rather than jumping in.

My preference is to get a good stable fishing yak boat. I'm a big guy (6' 250lbs), so stability is very important and, I'd like to have the option to stand up and fish (since I will primarily go lake fishing).

I've zero'd in on the following yaks (see table below). My preference is toward the F&S Shadow Caster (Dicks Sporting Goods; can get it @ $674 when on sale; can pick up local) and/or the Ascend FS12T (Bass Pro Shop; $650; can pick up local) which also happen to be the two least expensive.

There are many, many video reviews on both of these yaks. I have seen some negative marks in regards to the FS12T in terms of the seat (you can actually see it fail when this guy is reviewing the yak)

The biggest issue that I see with Shadow Caster is the weight. Weight is not much of an issue for me as I'll be trailering the yak. I'll also be primarily boating in calm conditions (lake) so even if the boat paddles like a barge, it shouldn't be too much of an issue. The Shadow Caster is thought of as a Lure clone (both the Lure and the Shadow Caster are made by the same manufacturer).

The other big issue with my top two picks is that unless you know someone that has one, its very hard to demo either of these before buying.

Are there any other sub $1000 yaks that fit my criteria (good stability) that I should include in my list?

Thanks,

smithmal
                        I have an xfactor and really enjoy it. Very stable, versatile features. It has plenty of stability to stand up on....I know Fishtank stood in his all the time. i use the built in transducer mount, works great. I had a Stealth 14 before (same hull different top) that i liked well enough....loved the live well in it, especially when perch or trout fishing. Neither boat weighs 65lbs.....lol malibu. Such fibbers

I am also a fan of the pescador. As a Tarpon knock-off, it is the fastest boat of the bunch, has a nice seat. I don't see standing on it being real fun. Still it is a fishable boat, but not for bigger guys.

I have never paddled the vibe....i'd like to see if it is faster than x-factor, even though they are supposed to be same width.

14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                        2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Originally posted by silasvirus82 View Post
                          A jon boat with oars can get around pretty well. Keep in mind one stroke while rowing is 2x one stroke while paddling. Later down the road if you decide you're tired of rowing, you can take Mark's suggestion of putting a trolling motor on it and have the ultimate pond setup. I was a kid when I had my jon boat, so finding energy to row was never an issue.
                          John,

Looked up Jon Boats around me on craigslist and there are several used that are in my price point. They are pretty ragged though. The ones with the decent seats tend to be +$1000. Would I need to permit/register my boat with the state? What is the cost on that on an annual basis.

A Jon Boat would definitely be the most stable and allow me to go out with my kids and/or friends on occasion. Also, I can fit an electric motor to it (which your not allowed to do for kayaks when boating in Liberty Reservoir) so it would allow me to explore the Reservoir much easier. For these reasons, I can definitely see the pros in it vs. a yak.

smithmal
                          smithmal

Comment

Originally posted by Steve6902 View Post
                            I had a Vibe Sea Ghost 130 and Loved it. For $900 you get a great stadium style seat with HI/LO position, a rudder and a paddle. I'm 6'3" at 275 and I felt very comfortable in it. However I went with a Hobie Outback, so I sold it. Great people to deal with also.
                            Steve,

Vibe's Sea Ghost 130 is very impressive for the money. With the boat, you also get a paddle and a rudder. Its capacity for the weight is top notch (550lbs capacity @ 74lbs weight). The deal breaker for the boat for me was that the SG's center console completely eliminated the ability to have a decent floor deck. I would like to be able to easily turn, and move my feet around on the deck (especially if I get a big hit and need to re-balance myself). I also think the center console with the way the top flops off is clumsy and its utility is not good enough to warrant losing a large swath of floor deck.

If it didn't have the center console, it would be at the top of my list as I'm sure the rudder makes tracking way easier than the other yaks I've listed.

smithmal
                            smithmal

Comment

Kevinfry,

Thanks for posting your experience with the X-Factor. I've read that it is very stable. The critique video I posted on it has me worried though. Could you take a look at that video and let me know if the video OP's gripes were true (especially about the seat which literally broke while he was reviewing the yak).

smithmal
                              smithmal

Comment

Working...
                              X