Small Shark in Severn River?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small Shark in Severn River?

This past Sunday, I was kayaking on the Severn between Weems and College Creeks and saw what I thought was one fish swimming along the surface with two small black dorsal fins protruding approximately 4 inches out of the water. Could have been two fish swimming close together, but two distinct dorsal fins. Clearly, my first thought was a small shark. Anyone have any insight into what I saw? Thanks.

Cow Nose Ray's wings will look a lot like shark dorsal find when they surface.

Comment

I had considered Rays as a possibility, but the dorsals appeared to be in line with each other and stayed above surface longer than I would expect of a ray swimming along the surface.

Comment

Also, there are porpoises in the bay and mouths of rivers right now.

Comment

Big blue fish do that when at the surface. I would have never thought they did if I hadn't seen it this spring at Cape Henelopen. I'll look thru my pics and see if I can find one to post that is clear.

Comment

I saw the same thing recently in proximity to the bay bridge. Last year I heard reports of cobia being caught in the same area at the same time of year. So you may have seen a cobia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            -Jimbo-

Berkley Powerpro - 100 yrd spool - 30#
            Berkley Powerpro - 100 yrd spool - 20#
            Fishbites - Saltwater version

Comment

Based on my recent experience in that area I vote for CNR too. Have you seen CNRs to know the difference? They can be quite exciting to see till you know what they are.

Comment

Black dorsal?
                CNR wing tips.

Comment

Originally posted by bignose View Post
                  Black dorsal?
                  CNR wing tips.
                  +1
                  14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                  2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

CNRs are prevalent in many areas of the Bay now. I've seen them even in Weems Creek. From afar they do look like a scene from "Jaws."

However, Bull Sharks are known to feed on CNRs and also to venture far into tidal systems. They swim shallow and can tolerate brackish and fresh waters.

A Bull Shark in the Severn would not be inconceivable. But my guess is that Gumshoe saw a CNR.
                    Mark
                    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I've seen the double wing tip thingy too. A closer investigation turned out to be a single CNR with the tips of it's wings being the only thing protruding a few inches above the water. Really weird looking until I found out what it was.
                      Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Originally posted by Gumshoe218 View Post
                        This past Sunday, I was kayaking on the Severn between Weems and College Creeks and saw what I thought was one fish swimming along the surface with two small black dorsal fins protruding approximately 4 inches out of the water. Could have been two fish swimming close together, but two distinct dorsal fins. Clearly, my first thought was a small shark. Anyone have any insight into what I saw? Thanks.
                        Classic CNR...see this all the time with the rays cruising the flats...100% CNR
                        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
                        X