Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small Shark in Severn River?

Default Small Shark in Severn River?

This past Sunday, I was kayaking on the Severn between Weems and College Creeks and saw what I thought was one fish swimming along the surface with two small black dorsal fins protruding approximately 4 inches out of the water. Could have been two fish swimming close together, but two distinct dorsal fins. Clearly, my first thought was a small shark. Anyone have any insight into what I saw? Thanks.

Cow Nose Ray's wings will look a lot like shark dorsal find when they surface.

I had considered Rays as a possibility, but the dorsals appeared to be in line with each other and stayed above surface longer than I would expect of a ray swimming along the surface.

Also, there are porpoises in the bay and mouths of rivers right now.

Big blue fish do that when at the surface. I would have never thought they did if I hadn't seen it this spring at Cape Henelopen. I'll look thru my pics and see if I can find one to post that is clear.

I saw the same thing recently in proximity to the bay bridge. Last year I heard reports of cobia being caught in the same area at the same time of year. So you may have seen a cobia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Jimbo-

Berkley Powerpro - 100 yrd spool - 30#
    Berkley Powerpro - 100 yrd spool - 20#
    Fishbites - Saltwater version

Based on my recent experience in that area I vote for CNR too. Have you seen CNRs to know the difference? They can be quite exciting to see till you know what they are.

Black dorsal?
    CNR wing tips.

Quote Originally Posted by bignose View Post
    Black dorsal?
    CNR wing tips.
    +1
    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

CNRs are prevalent in many areas of the Bay now. I've seen them even in Weems Creek. From afar they do look like a scene from "Jaws."

However, Bull Sharks are known to feed on CNRs and also to venture far into tidal systems. They swim shallow and can tolerate brackish and fresh waters.

A Bull Shark in the Severn would not be inconceivable. But my guess is that Gumshoe saw a CNR.
    Mark

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12

Author: The Simple Joys of Kayak Fishing (Tips and Tales From an Old Guy in His Plastic Boat)
    Available on Amazon.com