Advice on Jackson Kayak purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on Jackson Kayak purchase

I have been kayaking for years but in touring kayaks. I want to break into kayak fishing with my 13 year old son. I live down in Salisbury and plan on fishing in the back bay of OC, Assateague, and some of the Chesapeake. I came across what I think is a good deal and I am looking to you all (the experts) for advice.

I can pick up a Jackson Big Tuna (two person would be great for the son and I) as well as a Jackson Cuda 14 (great for wife or for me if solo). Comes with paddles and pdfs. $ 1800 for everything.

My concern is I hear Jackson Kayaks are like paddling a barge in the water. My wife I wife and I are used to touring kayaks and like the speed and agility.

I plan on taking them for a day this weekend to try out. But I was hoping to get feedback from you all. Is this a good deal? Are the Big Tuna and Cuda 14 good kayaks?

What should I look for when I check them out?

Thanks in advance!
    Jackson Big Tuna
    Jackson Cuda 14

Fishing kayaks are more about stability than speed. Jacksons make great boats though. Will you be able to demo? What kind of water are you interested in paddling in?

Another good two person fishing kayak I've seen are the Nucanoe Frontier 12. Those boats basically have a long double track to allow you to slide a variety of different types of seats and are basically a blank canvas after that.

Good video on a guy that likes both Jackson and Nucanoe can be seen here.

smithmal
    smithmal

2017 Native Ultimate 12 (Lagoon Blue)
    Bending Branches Angler Pro Plus Paddle

2016 Old Town Twin Heron Tandem (Mango)

2012 Nova Craft Pal 16' in Royalex-Lite (Burgundy)

1990 Radisson 12' (SportsPal)

Comment

Planning on fishing in the bay mostly. Not too interested in pond fishing. Going to demo them this weekend.
      Jackson Big Tuna
      Jackson Cuda 14

Comment

I have the Big Tuna and I don't have any issues paddling it. Its nice in that the seating can be configured for one or two paddlers. My son is only 5 so I'm the only paddler in the boat and haven't had an issue yet. The only time Ive wished I bought a peddle or powered yak was a weekend on the Severn with crazy wakes (3-4') from all the boat traffic while paddling into an incoming tide and a 15-20kt wind. That being said, even in those extreme conditions, I never once felt like I was going to tip over. It is a bit of a sail in high winds but not unbearably so. While I will probably pick up the rudder kit at some point, it tracks well enough that I don't think its necessary.

A bit of advice about the big tuna. If there is a large weight discrepancy between you and your son, don't use the rear most seating option (for reference, I'm 210 and my son is 40lbs). Ive found the rear sits a bit too low with water splashing over the top.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Ill be glad to answer as best I can.

ETA: Given your sons age, one consideration may be how long he wants to paddle around with dad before he wants his own kayak!
        "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna
        Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

I have a Jackson Coosa and it does not paddle well against current and gets blown around easily in the wind. If you can get 2 kayaks for $1800 that doesn't sound too bad.

Comment

Thanks for the reply guys. I appreciate the feedback. I am very excited to get into Kayak fishing and I don't want to make a mistake by getting the wrong rigs. I try to never impulse buy and research everything as best I can!
            Jackson Big Tuna
            Jackson Cuda 14

Comment

I have a Jackson Cuda 14 and love to take it out a couple miles off shore. Have ran into some rough conditions but always feel confident in the boat. Sounds like a good deal

Comment

Have a Jackson cuda 14, my second one, and it paddles easy and tracks well. I use it in the bay and rivers and have found it to be one of the easiest kayaks to paddle. Jackson does have different models for different applications, as with most kayak manufactures. Each model has pros and cons and are designed for specific waters. As DanMarino has a coosa which is designed for river fishing so it does not track as well as the cuda but is more maneuverable as it was designed.

Comment

Originally posted by On the fly View Post
                  Have a Jackson cuda 14, my second one, and it paddles easy and tracks well. I use it in the bay and rivers and have found it to be one of the easiest kayaks to paddle. Jackson does have different models for different applications, as with most kayak manufactures. Each model has pros and cons and are designed for specific waters. As DanMarino has a coosa which is designed for river fishing so it does not track as well as the cuda but is more maneuverable as it was designed.
                  I have never paddled Harry's Jackson Cuda 14 but I have remarked to him during our times together on the water that his boat is very fast and it looks effortless to paddle.

Here's a photo of him in it:

P1010780.jpg
                  Mark
                  Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                  Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                  Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Went and tried them out today. Here is what I thought of them.

Cuda 14 - Loved it! Wife, 13 year old son, and myself took turns on it and it was fast, tracked well, stable. We tried it in seat hi position and didn't quite like that. But in the low positoin, it was very stable. All three of us thought it was a winner.

Big Tuna - Yep, it's big! Definitely not as fast as the Cuda, as expected. But it was extremely stable. I won't be the first one to the fishing spot in this one. But with my son in the front an me in the back, it was a great setup. I like having him close to me. And man is it stable. I put my son in the Cuda and the wife and I paddled the Tuna with ease.

So, I ended up buying them both with 3 Bending Branch paddles for $ 1,700. I am pleased with my purchase.

Taking the family fishing on the Pocomoke July 4th and really looking forward to it. I think I am gonna put the wife on the front of the Tuna so she can paddle while I fish!!!
                    Attached Files
                    Jackson Big Tuna
                    Jackson Cuda 14

Comment

I don't use the cuda in the hi seat position either. Have fun on the outing!

Comment

Sounds like a great deal. Enjoy with your family.

Best Regards,
                        Stan
                        Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

Get out there and enjoy the kayaks. Learn how they track, best fishing positions, how to maximize / minimize fishing tackle vs gear, and get on some fish. Once you start pulling in quality fish you'll be hooked. Congrats on the new boats!
                          Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

We had a great time on the Pocomoke. Ended up with 4 kayaks carrying 6 people. Caught a couple crappie but that was it. More of a trip to figure out how I want the kayaks setup.

Ordered a bunch of stuff and coming in this Friday. Will be fishing in the bay this weekend. I think I am hooked!
                            Jackson Big Tuna
                            Jackson Cuda 14

Comment

Working...
                            X