Within 50 miles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Within 50 miles

There appears to be five distinct geographic groups on Snaggedline forum...Western Maryland/ PA, Eastern Shore/Kent Island, Annapolis area, Burbs of D.C. And Southern Maryland...and each has their own style of fishing their home waters...

For me it is a fifty-five mile drive up north to the Bay Bridge...about thirty four miles south to Breton Bay, forty five or so miles south to Piney Point and 16 miles west to the Harry Nice Bridge at Rt 301...Marshall Hall and Mattawoman Creek are fairly close, productive fishing spots although Benedict Rt. 4 bridge across the Patuxent River is only about 12 miles from home...Wheatley Lake is about 10 miles on Route 6...Point Lookout State Park and the Bay Bridge are just about equal distance for me...both are about an hour away...so I am kinda sitting in the southern middle of some fairly decent kayak fishing...and the southern Maryland waters have some of the same fish the Eastern Shore folks have- namely speckled trout and Redfish...
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

I am thinking of camping and fishing around St George's Island, or Ridge (Schieble's) again sometime this season. I'll keep an eye out for the informal get togethers down there.

Is Tommy Courtney's place still open? Also, are the cheap rooms still avail at Schieble's? Stayed there a few times too.

Comment

Courtney's is still there and still serving up great seafood with a side of attitude. Schieble's has looked empty the last few times I've driven past it, I know the restaurant is closed. If I was to guess I'd say the motel was closed as well but don't know for sure.

Had fun doing the last get together so thinking of maybe another one in early August. This time no donuts since everyone seemed to be watching their figure.
      Mike
      Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

I'll do it again Mike I had fun at the last one

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
          Courtney's is still there and still serving up great seafood with a side of attitude. Schieble's has looked empty the last few times I've driven past it, I know the restaurant is closed. If I was to guess I'd say the motel was closed as well but don't know for sure.

Had fun doing the last get together so thinking of maybe another one in early August. This time no donuts since everyone seemed to be watching their figure.
          I found the phone # for Scheible's and called them. A nice lady answers "hello". Sadly, both the restaurant and the motel are closed. I also saw it was listed for sale.

I fished out of Scheible's with basically the same group of guys from about 1980-2012. John Veil fished with us for years early on. The last years we went weren't good at all. Bruce Scheible was just renting slips to independent captains by then. In 2012, we had a guy charge us $150 a man to go bottom fishing with frozen squid strips for perch and spot in the Potomac! We had a tradition where we would grille some fish right off the boat before repairing to the Tiki bar in Solomons. I got the grill nice and hot, and the turkey left on his boat with all our fish! That was it for me.

But we had decades of great fishing out of there when Bruce had his fleet going, so I shouldn't complain too loudly. All good things must end.
          Last edited by Fishinfool; 06-27-2017, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Ron,

I would add that there's a group that concentrates north of Baltimore on the flats of the Susquehanna and also out of Mariner's Point in Harford County.

It's only natural that we are localized but really nice when we can get together at M&Gs and on occasions like Mike recently organized.

I hope I can attend the next one you guys hold in southern MD.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

There is a hotel on St. George's next to the Ruddy Duck-you also have the option of either a cabin or camping at Camp Merrylande {(301) 994-1722} at the end of St. George's Island. Don't forget that top water at Point Lookout is coming up and that they have cabins and camping as well!
              Tight lines
              Hobie Ivory Dune Outback
              Hobie Caribbean Blue Sport
              Wilderness Red Tsunami 145
              Wilderness Green "Warhorse" Tarpon 160

Comment

Originally posted by ski357 View Post
                There is a hotel on St. George's next to the Ruddy Duck-you also have the option of either a cabin or camping at Camp Merrylande {(301) 994-1722} at the end of St. George's Island. Don't forget that top water at Point Lookout is coming up and that they have cabins and camping as well!
                Thanks Ski. I did see the hotel next to Ruddy Duck. I think that's the old Evans Seafood Restaurant, right? At any rate, the hotel is part of the Choice hotel chain and probably a more comfortable bet than camping at Camp Merreyland. Guess I am getting soft in my sixties, LoL.

The rates to camp or rent a small cabin are really no bargain either, unless you have two couples sharing everything.

Comment

Working...
                X