Tedious Creek/Fishing Bay/Cocheron??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tedious Creek/Fishing Bay/Cocheron??

I was out on a little long weekend with my family this weekend. We stayed on Hoopers Island, which was really nice. I did some recon and really liked what I saw at the ramp over at the mouth of Tedious Creek, leading into Fishing bay, near the "town" of Cocheron.

It looked really really fishy. I planned to fish the incoming tide, got there at 100pm, high at 330, but the tide was a bit muted because of the wind. I picked up some sub-legal rockfish. Paddled up to the mouth of Tedious Creek, around 430/5pm. Should have been ripping outgoing but very little. From the breakwater up through where the creek runs into the little bay I threw topwater, plastics, Gulp mullet and shrimp, spoons, cut pieces of peeler crabs both under a float and on the bottom. Around sunset the wind really calmed down and there were fish feeding on or near the surface. Not a frenzy but fairly regularly. Threw everything I had at them and got nothing.

I have fished a lot in salt water but am really new to salt water fishing in the bay. I am more than willing to say that the catching results were a result of my inexperience and I need to sharpen technique. Teaching myself how to flyfish and it is possible that a glass minnow imitation would have killed them. I was fishing for them like I was fishing for snook.

Any comments about the area or about my experience would be really worthwhile. It is a gorgeous deserted place and besides the kind of meager results it was a really cool day. If anyone wants to head down there I would be happy to give my 2 cents. Thanks for any advice or comments.

Sounds like you pretty much tried everything...this time of year there are a variety of species out there and targeting them is usually finding structure and moving water...big ball of bay anchovies are a good indicator as are splashes from fish breaking...down sizing your lure helps as does going with light tackle, but I have seen exactly the same results you report from some of my favorite honey holes...when they stop biting...they stop.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
      Sounds like you pretty much tried everything...this time of year there are a variety of species out there and targeting them is usually finding structure and moving water...big ball of bay anchovies are a good indicator as are splashes from fish breaking...down sizing your lure helps as does going with light tackle, but I have seen exactly the same results you report from some of my favorite honey holes...when they stop biting...they stop.
      Where did you launch from?

Comment

Southern Maryland- St Marys...Piney Point, St. Jerome's Creek, St. Mary's River, Smith Creek, Point Lookout, Elm's Beach, Breton Bay, Colton's Point...
        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
        X