Potomac Smallmouth 6/24/17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potomac Smallmouth 6/24/17

Fly fished the Potomac again in the same area as last week, but this time from my kayak. Fly fishing from a moving kayak is difficult. I parked the kayak and fished from rocks and ledges. I also drifted and fished and tucked behind rocks and ledges to fish. I need to bring my anchor next time so I can park in the slow spots and spots with mild current.

Landed 3 smallies and 1 sunfish. Lost 4 other smallies before landing them. Spooked some very big catfish and carp. Everything hit an articulated white/red bullet head streamer. Loved the action of the articulated bullet head. All 3 of the smallies were hooked on the trailer hook. I used the 7/8 weight fly rod and it was windy today. I like the 5 weight rod better and will bring it next time. I don’t like how heavy the 7/8 fly rod feels.

Creeks were stained today, but the main river was plenty clear. I only fished for a couple of hours and got home by lunch. Next time I’ll try some top water flies. There was a guide in a raft who had two fly fishing old guys in it. The raft came into the area I was fishing. I got to watch them a little and didn’t see them catch anything.

Lessons and goals for next time since this is a learning experience.

1. Get to the river at sunrise.
    2. Bring my anchor.
    3. Use the 5 weight fly rod.
    4. Fish a top water fly for a couple of hours to see what happens.

I’m really glad I went to the river today instead of fishing a lake/reservoir. Good to know that if it rains over night, I can still fish the next morning and the river won’t be blown out yet.

I will be out there this weekend with a few friends and spinning gear. Try this link if you need to know how the river levels are before leaving home.
    https://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?01638500

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
    X