Mapping and sampling SAV beds in the Severn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mapping and sampling SAV beds in the Severn

I have become involved with the Severn River Association (SRA) over the past year and now write periodic man-on-the-water articles for their Facebook page. I wanted to make the Snaggedline community aware of a new project and an opportunity for kayakers to help map and sample SAV beds in the Severn. Tom Guay is the SRA communications director. He sent out the following notice this morning. The training session will be held on July 5. Contact Tom if you are interested in helping.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    THE SEVERN RIVER ASSOCIATION
    American's Oldest River Group, Founded in 1911
    June 23. 2017
    Contact: Lynne D. Rockenbauch, President, 410-987-6042, president@severnriver.org
    Tom Guay, Communications Director, 443-716-6776, ECAlert@gmail.com

Recruits Wanted: Paddlers For SRA's 'Navy'
    Who'd like to get out on the water? Get up close and personal with the fabled underwater grasses known as SAV – submerged aquatic vegetation?
    Thanks to a grant from Maryland’s Department of Natural Resources (DNR), the Severn River Association (SRA) is recruiting volunteers to monitor nearly 230 acres of grass beds in the Severn River, mostly in and around Round Bay. Time frame for the project is July through early August.
    The project requires the our SAV crews to geo-locate the SAV beds identified in the picture below.

We'll be taking samples and identifying the types of SAV we find. We'll also record water temps and visibility of the water in the SAV areas.
    SRA will provide the SAV monitoring kits. The SAV crew will provide their own paddle-powered boat vessels, their enterprising spirit and their desire to become citizen scientists.
    We're looking for recruits with their own kayaks, canoes, even paddleboards, because most monitoring work will be in shallow water.
    Recruits should contact SRA's Tom Guay at ECAlert@gmail.com ASAP.
    Training begins July 5.

Treasure The Severn – Visit SRA on Facebook:

The Severn River Association is the oldest river association in the U.S. and Anne Arundel County’s only river group in continuous operation since 1911. SRA meets the third Tuesday of each month at 7 p.m. at various locations throughout the Severn River Watershed. The meetings are free. Residents and representatives of community associations are encouraged to attend, get involved and make their opinions on watershed issues known.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"
Working...
X