Greenheads!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greenheads!!!

Good gravy! I was destroyed by greeheads today while fishing the lower Eastern Shore. I always expect mosquitoes and greenheads to nail me as I ready my yak at the launch, but I was swatting them for the entire paddle, even when I was several hundred meters from shore. I essentially dunked myself in the River Deet prior to going, but those little bastards found the few millimeter squares that did not have deet and bit the crap out of me. I was in open water, with a nice chop, solid wind and I was still getting swammed. I counted at least 10 of them on the bow at one time. It was a new area that I may have to think twice about, which really sucks because it looks really fishy. Anybody ever had stop due to bugs?
    Jay

10' Green Slayer
    13’ Red Slayer

LOL. Been there, done that. I fish in shorts and there's been days we're I've had to cut it short due to those nasty buggers. In fact I think I need to add fly swatter to my essential fishing gear now that you've brought them up.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Yup I got to the eastern shore once.. got out of the car and they attacked me and got back in and started swatting them on my windshield with the wiper blades.. they were thick... never again i told myself hah...

Comment

Yikes! I was out that way last week, and only encountered one greenhead as I was loading the kayak back on the truck. Maybe I got lucky. Anything we can do besides deet and long pants/sleeves?
        Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Comment

If it isn't the greenheads then it's the deer flies, horse flies, or black flies that'll get you. Some days are worse then others as I've have had the same experience a few times as you did with flies sitting on the bow while others bit me. I just tolerate it as best I can. Windless days aren't always a blessing I don't think repellent really does much with flies from my experience. I've noticed greenheads often like to target areas on my body that are wet. Usually the legs and ankles.
          Brian

Comment

Perhaps it's time for a battery-powered, Gear Trac-mountable bug zapper?
            -manny

Hobie Outback
            Wilderness Systems 130T
            Hobie Outfitter

Comment

Working...
            X