Little Choptank River Visit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Little Choptank River Visit

John Veil, Bruce Kellman and I visited the Little Choptank River today on John's Scout.
    2017-06-22 08.04.20.jpg
    Who Are Those Masked Men???
    We launched about 8 at the end of an ebbing tide with low winds. We moved along the shoreline casting small jigs with a variety of plastics. There were periods of action followed by periods of inaction. We eventually moved out to James Island where the action was good in spots. James Island has eroded into three small islands, empty except for some birds. All in all the three of us landed over 60-70 Striped Bass, 4 Specks, 1 White Perch. I will let John fill you in on his great catch of the day.
    2017-06-22 08.46.12.jpg 2017-06-22 09.22.45.jpg 2017-06-22 11.59.32.jpg
    This was my first Speck in Maryland waters. Think they are beautiful looking fish. It was too small, so it went back. I did manage a 22" Rock that went home for dinner.
    John Rentch
    Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
    Hobie Revolution 11

Scary looking crew for sure.

Nice job on the speck. They are indeed beautiful fish.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Nice work guys, The OGWLF found the specs! What great weather and a great outing. The pics are great too!

Yak67

2017 Hobie PA-12 Camo
      2016 Hobie Outback LE#217

Comment

Wow, great report. That's quite a long haul from Annapolis, unless you trailered to Madison Bay or nearby.

Comment

It was an enjoyable and productive day. I got my largest ever spec from Maryland waters (20") -- on a 3" paddletail in 3-4 ft of water.

2017-06-22 09.49.54.jpg
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

nice report and pictures... congrats on the spec!
            2015 Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Always enjoy fishing reports that are successful. Beautiful speck, not sure I'd classify the guys that way.
              Mike
              Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Nicely done gentlemen! Good weather, good fishing, and good friends - can't ask for much more. Congrats!
                -manny

Hobie Outback
                Wilderness Systems 130T
                Hobie Outfitter

Comment

Great work, guys!! And congrats on the large spec, John V.!

Comment

Nice Speck John...love catching big specks...
                    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Hey, I resemble that remark!

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
                      Always enjoy fishing reports that are successful. Beautiful speck, not sure I'd classify the guys that way.
                      Bruce

Hobie PA 14
                      Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Nice trip fellas. It's been a long time since I've been on the Little Choptank.
                        Brian

Comment

Originally posted by EMSer View Post
                          Hey, I resemble that remark!

Bruce and I had on our "space alien" masks. They serve dual purpose: a) extra sun protection, and b) don't scare the fish as much as our regular faces .

I have reported on several previous posts that I try to wear facial covers whenever on the water. On my kayak, when using a hat with a wide neck flap, I use a "buff-style" shield. When on my boat, I wear a ball cap-style hat with a short cord and alligator clip to my collar to keep my hat from blowing off. When using that hat, I wear a Cabelas lightweight balaclava. Is it hot? Yes, but being hot beats having more skin cancer chunks cut out of my face by the dermatologist.
                          John Veil
                          Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by Slobber Bob View Post
                            Nice trip fellas. It's been a long time since I've been on the Little Choptank.
                            Back in the 1980s we owned a waterfront lot off the Little Choptank for a few years. I learned how to run a crab trotline and fished in the river in a 13' Gheenoe with a 4-hp motor.

scan0003.jpg

After a while I realized that my wife had no interest in building a vacation home there. When our daughter was born, we sold the lot. It was then and still is now a beautiful spot.
                            John Veil
                            Annapolis

Comment

Pretty cool old picture you dug out there, John.

Back when I used to live over that way, my landlord at the time, loved to run his trotline there too. I used to go out with every now and then. Occasionally he liked to go out and dipnet the grass flats behind Woolford for soft crabs. I always tried to join him for that; I'm a sucker for a soft crab!
                              Brian

Comment

Working...
                              X