Yaking @ Liberty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yaking @ Liberty

Liberty Reservoir is 10 miles from my house. I realize that are huge restrictions on yaking there (basically you can't use you yak anywhere else except for Lock Raven and Prettyboy if you want to continue fishing there), so with that in mind, is it worth it to get a launch permit and use my yak exclusively there? My other local option is Piney Run.

Thanks,

smithmal
    smithmal

2017 Native Ultimate 12 (Lagoon Blue)
    Bending Branches Angler Pro Plus Paddle

2016 Old Town Twin Heron Tandem (Mango)

2012 Nova Craft Pal 16' in Royalex-Lite (Burgundy)

1990 Radisson 12' (SportsPal)

I would not want to lock myself into one body of water, especially with so many tidal options relatively close by.

I'd go for Piney and an occasional road trip to other waters.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

If I were only 10 miles from LR I would really start saving for a barebones yak just for the Baltimore reservoir system. Combined they are a crazy amount of water with I assume not a lot of pressure other than bank fishing.
      Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
      Lime Slayer 10

Comment

That's what I was thinking. If LR is decent for fishing, I'd have a yak just for that. Is the action good AT LR? In other words, good enough to sacrifice a yak for the privilege of fishing there?

smithmal
        smithmal

Comment

Isn't the state record smallmouth bass from Liberty?

Comment

Originally posted by smithmal View Post
            That's what I was thinking. If LR is decent for fishing, I'd have a yak just for that. Is the action good AT LR? In other words, good enough to sacrifice a yak for the privilege of fishing there?

smithmal
            I still wouldn't do it. Plenty of other places to fish. But then again, I've been married to the same woman for 38 years.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Comment

Interestingly enough, kayaks with electric motors are not allowed on Liberty and Prettyboy. I guess if you were "made of money" maybe you'd dedicate a yak with a motor to these reservoirs....

Application and FAQs can be found here.

smithmal
              smithmal

Comment

After thinking about it for several days, I think I'm going to permit my yak so it can be used at Liberty.

The reasons for this are:
                1. Very close by
                2. Large body of water so lots of exploring to do
                3. Easy yak environment for newb
                4. Very little time in my life ATM for extended yak trips

My first yak is going to be a cheapo anyway. I'm not willing to go all in until I really think the hobby/sport is for me so yaking at Liberty/Prettyboy seems a good call for me.

Thanks for everyone's feedback, it was most appreciated.

smithmal
                smithmal

Comment

There are a lot of people that use them other places. This is a Baltimore City regs and not a Md State reg. Someone would have to produce proof that you used it elsewhere to the city authorities. In other words it is almost Un enforceable but you wouldn't be honest

Comment

There's def plenty of room to explore & learn the reservoir. I've explored from shore & have always wanted to fish from my kayak here, 'cept for the stupid restrictions 'the city' puts on us kayakers. Therefore, I boycott everything inside the city borders & I am happily not missing anything.....& I use to be a city resident.

Comment

I live close to Prettyboy, and I used to have Piney Run literally in my backyard when I lived with my parents in Sykesville, and I often fished at Liberty as well. Liberty is certainly my favorite of those 3 places, but I only had my kayak out on Piney Run, I would fish from shore at the other places. If you're going to fish liberty, make sure to always have a rod out with a tiny hook (like something you'd use for stocker trout) baited with corn kernels (you can get a can for like $1 or less). I set that out there with just a split shot to weigh it down, and usually I will get 1 carp every hour or so, if I'm fishing close to shore (look for coves). They fight super hard, so keep your drag set relatively light waiting for the strike, or they will pull your rod into the lake, happened to a friend of mine. I've also caught big catfish (26") off that same corn setup, and usually I will catch some small yellow perch, and small bass as well. There are also a ton of super hungry bluegill that will bite bare hooks, so they're a go-to if you want to avoid a skunk for the day. But take that advice with a grain of salt, I typically don't fish freshwater.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                        I still wouldn't do it. Plenty of other places to fish. But then again, I've been married to the same woman for 38 years.
                        That's a good thing Mark! My dad always said find someone you can do business with and do business with them. Brand Loyalty is my motto!
                        Gregory
                        ​Ain't Misbehavin'
                        2014 Pro Angler 12
                        '

Comment

yakscientist,

Thanks for the advice. That's very helpful. How is/was the action at Prettyboy?

smithmal
                          smithmal

Comment

Originally posted by AintMisBehavin View Post
                            That's a good thing Mark! My dad always said find someone you can do business with and do business with them. Brand Loyalty is my motto!
                            Gregory,

Your dad is a wise man and he raised a smart son.
                            Mark
                            Pasadena, MD

Comment

Originally posted by smithmal View Post
                              yakscientist,

Thanks for the advice. That's very helpful. How is/was the action at Prettyboy?

smithmal
                              The action was nonexistent, but I wouldn't really take that to heart. I fished there on a randomly warm day in the middle of winter, so I wasn't expecting any fish anyway, I really just wanted to get outside. I think I just tried some bobber/worm rigs without any success, I bet it was all due to just the cold water/season though.

Comment

Working...
                              X