Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yaking @ Liberty

Default Yaking @ Liberty

Liberty Reservoir is 10 miles from my house. I realize that are huge restrictions on yaking there (basically you can't use you yak anywhere else except for Lock Raven and Prettyboy if you want to continue fishing there), so with that in mind, is it worth it to get a launch permit and use my yak exclusively there? My other local option is Piney Run.

Thanks,

smithmal

I would not want to lock myself into one body of water, especially with so many tidal options relatively close by.

I'd go for Piney and an occasional road trip to other waters.
    Mark

Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12

Author: The Simple Joys of Kayak Fishing (Tips and Tales From an Old Guy in His Plastic Boat)
    Available on Amazon.com

If I were only 10 miles from LR I would really start saving for a barebones yak just for the Baltimore reservoir system. Combined they are a crazy amount of water with I assume not a lot of pressure other than bank fishing.
    Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
    Lime Slayer 10

That's what I was thinking. If LR is decent for fishing, I'd have a yak just for that. Is the action good AT LR? In other words, good enough to sacrifice a yak for the privilege of fishing there?

smithmal

Isn't the state record smallmouth bass from Liberty?

Quote Originally Posted by smithmal View Post
    That's what I was thinking. If LR is decent for fishing, I'd have a yak just for that. Is the action good AT LR? In other words, good enough to sacrifice a yak for the privilege of fishing there?

smithmal
    I still wouldn't do it. Plenty of other places to fish. But then again, I've been married to the same woman for 38 years.
    Mark

Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12

Author: The Simple Joys of Kayak Fishing (Tips and Tales From an Old Guy in His Plastic Boat)
    Available on Amazon.com

Interestingly enough, kayaks with electric motors are not allowed on Liberty and Prettyboy. I guess if you were "made of money" maybe you'd dedicate a yak with a motor to these reservoirs....

Application and FAQs can be found here.

smithmal

After thinking about it for several days, I think I'm going to permit my yak so it can be used at Liberty.

The reasons for this are:
    1. Very close by
    2. Large body of water so lots of exploring to do
    3. Easy yak environment for newb
    4. Very little time in my life ATM for extended yak trips

My first yak is going to be a cheapo anyway. I'm not willing to go all in until I really think the hobby/sport is for me so yaking at Liberty/Prettyboy seems a good call for me.

Thanks for everyone's feedback, it was most appreciated.

smithmal

There are a lot of people that use them other places. This is a Baltimore City regs and not a Md State reg. Someone would have to produce proof that you used it elsewhere to the city authorities. In other words it is almost Un enforceable but you wouldn't be honest

There's def plenty of room to explore & learn the reservoir. I've explored from shore & have always wanted to fish from my kayak here, 'cept for the stupid restrictions 'the city' puts on us kayakers. Therefore, I boycott everything inside the city borders & I am happily not missing anything.....& I use to be a city resident.