Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yaking @ Liberty

I live close to Prettyboy, and I used to have Piney Run literally in my backyard when I lived with my parents in Sykesville, and I often fished at Liberty as well. Liberty is certainly my favorite of those 3 places, but I only had my kayak out on Piney Run, I would fish from shore at the other places. If you're going to fish liberty, make sure to always have a rod out with a tiny hook (like something you'd use for stocker trout) baited with corn kernels (you can get a can for like $1 or less). I set that out there with just a split shot to weigh it down, and usually I will get 1 carp every hour or so, if I'm fishing close to shore (look for coves). They fight super hard, so keep your drag set relatively light waiting for the strike, or they will pull your rod into the lake, happened to a friend of mine. I've also caught big catfish (26") off that same corn setup, and usually I will catch some small yellow perch, and small bass as well. There are also a ton of super hungry bluegill that will bite bare hooks, so they're a go-to if you want to avoid a skunk for the day. But take that advice with a grain of salt, I typically don't fish freshwater.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I still wouldn't do it. Plenty of other places to fish. But then again, I've been married to the same woman for 38 years.
    That's a good thing Mark! My dad always said find someone you can do business with and do business with them. Brand Loyalty is my motto!
    Gregory
    ​Ain't Misbehavin'
    2014 Pro Angler 12
    '

yakscientist,

Thanks for the advice. That's very helpful. How is/was the action at Prettyboy?

smithmal

Quote Originally Posted by AintMisBehavin View Post
    That's a good thing Mark! My dad always said find someone you can do business with and do business with them. Brand Loyalty is my motto!
    Gregory,

Your dad is a wise man and he raised a smart son.
    Mark

Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12

Author: The Simple Joys of Kayak Fishing (Tips and Tales From an Old Guy in His Plastic Boat)
    Available on Amazon.com

Quote Originally Posted by smithmal View Post
    yakscientist,

Thanks for the advice. That's very helpful. How is/was the action at Prettyboy?

smithmal
    The action was nonexistent, but I wouldn't really take that to heart. I fished there on a randomly warm day in the middle of winter, so I wasn't expecting any fish anyway, I really just wanted to get outside. I think I just tried some bobber/worm rigs without any success, I bet it was all due to just the cold water/season though.