Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is an anchor a necessity when targeting catfish on the Potomac?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is an anchor a necessity when targeting catfish on the Potomac?

The other thread on fishing yak gear got me thinking. I plan on launching out of Marshal Hall within the next couple weeks for some catfishing. Will be using standard fish finder rig w/small float, and 2 or 4 oz sinkers. I haven't yet found a need for an anchor but am now thinking I will need one. I've never fished there before. Will I need an anchor or can I get by without one? Thanks!
    Mike

2020 Hobie Outback - Camo

I would say yes you need an anchor. I'm not expert on MH, but the few times I've been there I've fished generally in the same spot, and I've noticed the blue cats there like a lot of current, so I like to anchor in spots with less current and cast into current. If you've got a pedal kayak, I suppose you could maintain position in the river quite easily while having your baits out, but I typically fish for 4-6 hours there, so this might be a long day of just flutter kicking for you. You could also get a stakeout pole if you wanted to fish in shallower waters, less than 8 feet. I have luck in water between 15-20 feet, but I know many have had luck in water between 3-10 feet as well. Good luck! I will be making a return trip down there at some point this year, but I have no idea when.

Comment

Absolutely, catch ratio will go up tremendously for cats. My friend and i have done side by side comparison and anchoring is way better
      Native Watercraft Pro Staff
      2016 Native Watercraft Slayer Propel 13 Lizard Lick

2016 CCA MD "BLUE CAT" Tournament 2nd place
      33rd MSSA "THE CHAMPIONSHIP" Tournament 1st place
      2016 Curley's White Perch Tournament 1st place

Comment

Thank you both! That's kinda what I thought but wasn't sure. I do have a pedal kayak (slayer sp10) and am getting good at flutter kicking in current but not sure I can make it 5 hours. I also have a home made stakeout pole I can use but ultimately I see an anchor purchase in my future.
        Mike

Comment

Yeah the 1.5lb anchor kits are fairly cheap, and seem to hold up really well. I keep mine spooled on one of the orange plastic spools you'd use for a long extension cord. And I have a float attached a few feet from the end clip, so I can unclip quickly if a big fish hits and I can't bring it in while stationary. The float will let me find my anchor/line when I return.

Comment

ACK has a 3.0 lb Kayak Folding Anchor Kit currently on sale for $19.99. The float is an extra $3. I can see myself doing something very similar with an extension cord spool. Do you also need an anchor trolley with this setup? I don't think I'm up to installing an anchor trolley as that would involve drilling more holes in my kayak and its still almost brand new :-)
            Mike

Comment

I have the 3, no problems, my buddy has the 1.5 and the current has dragged him with it. Depends on the bottom of where you are fishing. I dont have a trolley, and wouldnt recommend it. I use a quick release system, in case you hookup to a monster. Ive gotten up to an 80 pounder, so keep that in mind. The float is a great way to come back to a hot area without having to reanchor everytime. If youd like some company, ill join.
              Native Watercraft Pro Staff
              2016 Native Watercraft Slayer Propel 13 Lizard Lick

2016 CCA MD "BLUE CAT" Tournament 2nd place
              33rd MSSA "THE CHAMPIONSHIP" Tournament 1st place
              2016 Curley's White Perch Tournament 1st place

Comment

Yeah I think mine's a 3 as well, come to think of it. But I'm not sure. It came as a package deal with my kayak, which was a gift, so I can only guess based on that it seems to feel heavier than a 1.5. My trolley came pre installed, and I do honestly like it, it's nice to be able to turn the boat if I'm in heavy current or the wind's blowing hard enough to turn my boat in a direction I don't want to face, while anchored.

Comment

Again, thank you both very much for all the help. I will order the 3 kit and float later today. I'm told it includes a quick release so I got that going for me. I can't even imagine an 80 pounder. That would probably be larger than my kayak! What a catch! I will definitely check in with you both when I figure out when I can get out to MH. This weekend is a bust but maybe the next weekend or the day before/after July 4th. Thanks!
                  Mike

Comment

Working...
                  X