Categorizing your fishing yak gear: Essential vs. Helpful vs. Niche

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Categorizing your fishing yak gear: Essential vs. Helpful vs. Niche

Remember the day when you first got your fishing yak and you needed to purchase essential gear before going out? Then, after going out, you purchased some more gear that made your life easier or more comfortable when fishing, then finally once you knew yak fishing was your true hobby so you went all in on souping up your ride?

I think it would be great if we could have a thread categorizing essential vs helpful vs. niche gear for fishing yaks (for newbs like myself). Man of these items can be purchased on ACK.com and yakattack.us.

From the limited research I've gathered, here is the essential gear that I think would be needed before your first launch (please note, items within groups are not ordered in priority):

Essential Gear
    1. Yak (of course) - Properly titled/registered if using an electric/fuel motor drive
    2. Annual MD Fishing License
    3. Paddle
    4. Personal Flotation Device (life jacket)
    5. Fishing Rod
    6. Fishing net
    7. Tackle/Plano Boxes
    8. Tackle crate
    9. Fishing tackle (line, lures, weights, etc)
    10. Fishing tools (knife, pliers)
    11. Fish measuring device (Hawg trough, etc.)
    12. Noise device (whistle or air horn)
    13. Trailer or roof rack system
    14. Hat, sunblock and insect repellent
    15. First Aid Kit
    16. Floating VHF radio or communication device
    17. Bailing device (large sponge or top half of milk jug works in a pinch)
    18. Flashlight/Signaling device (when fishing at and and/or in remote areas)

Am I missing anything?

Helpful Gear
    1. Anchor/Anchor trolley system
    2. Fish Finder with transducer (with GPS) and battery
    3. Stake out pole
    4. Extra hardware mounts (cleats, rod holders, extension arms, paddle holders, Scotty gear/yak attack/RAM mounts)
    5. Landing Cart/Gear
    6. Leashes or Floats
    7. Cooler
    8. Deck mats or traction mats
    9. Plano Boxes
    10. Fish Grip
    11. Fish scale
    12. Rudder with rudder system or skeg
    13. Fishing Bag
    14. Paddle Grips or Kayak Gloves

Am I missing anything?

All in (niche) Gear
    1. Trolley motor/pedal drive
    2. Command stand
    3. Outrigger
    4. LED fishing lights
    5. Live Well
    6. Sunscreen Roof
    7. GoPro mounts or GoPro Boomstick

Am I missing anything?

(A similar discussion on this can be found here)

Thanks,

smithmal
    Last edited by smithmal; 10-18-2017, 01:20 PM.
    smithmal

2017 Native Ultimate 12 (Lagoon Blue)
    Bending Branches Angler Pro Plus Paddle

2016 Old Town Twin Heron Tandem (Mango)

2012 Nova Craft Pal 16' in Royalex-Lite (Burgundy)

1990 Radisson 12' (SportsPal)

Under essential you need a noise making device like a whistle or air horn. It's standard boating safety gear per DNR and you can get ticketed without it. I'd also have phone or radio under essential. For me the fish measuring board is essential. Don't want to guess on a close fish.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Mike,

Excellent point. I did not know about the noise maker. Also with essential gear you would need a fishing licenses. What registrations need to be in place for non-motorized vs. motorized kayaks?

smithmal
      smithmal

Comment

Under helpful, (maybe essential depending on where you fish) is a floating VHF radio.

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Comment

Fishing net could be moved to the helpful gear category, rather than essential, as many folks go without them. And if you intend to keep fish that have a size limit, a measuring device would be essential.

Some of the "helpful gear" or "all in" gear could be switched around, but it really comes down to how you fish. For me, an anchor would be way down the list, but for someone soaking bait for catfish, it may be practically essential. For my fishing, a rudder is at the top of the list of helpful gear as my boat doesn't track that well without one and it is just much easier to troll with a rudder. Same could be said of rod holders as trolling with a paddle yak is not really possible without them.
          Kevin

2013 Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

I second a VHF radio being on the essential list. Maybe not for everybody or every situation but any big water or going out alone it's a must have.

Comment

I made the same thread couple months ago. One thing I realized now is that, buy all your accessories after taking your kayak out couple times. I think that is the biggest lessons learned I realized. This is what everyone here has told me also.

Here is my thread. You will see lot of similarities. I wished I didn't buy half of the accessories...

http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...d-nice-to-have
              2015 Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Aside from the legal necessities of a license and PFD, the answer is, it depends.

It depends on how you fish as Keven said.

I've read the stories of many kayak anglers on this forum and most seem to go through an evolution. I've done it myself.

They start with the basic gear, a single rod and reel being most important, of course. Then they enthusiastically ramp up their purchases of both fishing gear and accessories for their kayaks. (ACK.com and yakattack.us are probably two sites saved in their browsers.) They may even buy a second or third kayak. Then they find their favorite kayak fishing style and tailor what they carry to that style. Invariably, that means that many items they enthusiastically purchased as essential either wind up sitting in a corner of their garage or basement or are sold on this forum to others starting their evolution.

The lists, the purchases, the evolution -- it's part of the fun of kayak fishing.
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

It took me two days to outfit the Lady Luck...after five years with my "Ugly Duckling" Outback, I knew exactly what I wanted on my kayak...and my wants are "essential" to me...first and foremost was my electronics package...it had to be professional, neat, clean and waterproof...all waterproof thru-hull wiring fittings, marine grade wiring, Hobie battery holder...then came the YakAttack aluminum rails and backing plates that allow complete versitility of accessories...a DIY pvc rod holder system that fits into the two behind the seat flush factory rod holders...a YakAttack anchor trolley system, red turbo fins and sailing rudder...all done....see you on the water...
                  "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                  2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                  "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                  Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

This is typically what I bring.

kayak
                    paddle
                    PFD with whistle attached to it
                    fishing rod
                    small fishing bag. over the shoulder type bag that is a little larger than a fanny pack, but not by much.
                    inside the fishing bag I pack my lures for the day, needle nose pliers, fish grip.
                    A hat and sunblock are essential for me.
                    prescription polarized sunglasses

I rarely bring a net.

Depending on the launch, I will bring a cart for my kayak to tow the boat to the water from my vehicle.

I'm pretty minimal.

I will sometimes bring a fish finder, like maybe 5% of my trips.

My crate with lures/plano boxes stays home almost all of the time now days.

Comment

Keep the comments coming guys, this is great stuff and I'm learning a lot.

I realize that some items can flip flop a little depending upon the type of water or fishing you are doing. I'm mainly really interested in the essential as that is the level that I am at now, but its also great to know what items people upgrade to once they become a little more familiar and emphatic about the hobby/sport.

It also would be interesting to know if there's any items that you added or bought that are rarely used and/or wish you hadn't added to your list of "stuff on the boat" once you began using it.

smithmal
                      smithmal

Comment

Originally posted by Seasalt View Post
                        I made the same thread couple months ago. One thing I realized now is that, buy all your accessories after taking your kayak out couple times. I think that is the biggest lessons learned I realized. This is what everyone here has told me also.

Here is my thread. You will see lot of similarities. I wished I didn't buy half of the accessories...

http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...d-nice-to-have
                        Seasalt,

Dang.... guess we kindof created duplicate threads. I've posted your thread on the OP so others can go there for additional information.

smithmal
                        smithmal

Comment

Here is what I have:

1. Yak
                          2. Annual MD Fishing License
                          3. Paddle
                          4. Personal Flotation Device (life jacket)
                          5. Fishing Rod (Generally 2-3)
                          6. xxxxx
                          7. Tackle Box
                          8. xxxxx
                          9. Fishing tackle (line, lures, weights, etc)
                          10. Fishing tools (knife, pliers)
                          11. Fish measuring device (Hawg trough, etc.)
                          12. Noise device (whistle or air horn)
                          13. Trailer or roof rack system
                          14. Hat, sunblock and insect repellent
                          15. xxxx
                          16. xxxxx

Helpful Gear
                          1. Anchor/Anchor trolley system --- **I have mine on the yak, in the hull. But, really, never use it.
                          2. Fish Finder with transducer (with GPS) and battery --- *** I need to get mine up and working.
                          3. xxxx
                          4. xxxx
                          5. xxx
                          6. Leashes or Floats
                          7. xxxx
                          8. xxxx
                          9. xxxx
                          10. Fish Grip
                          11. xxx
                          12. xxxxx
                          13. xxxxx

Am I missing anything?

---> Have ways to attach the pols to the yak--use for trolling.
                          ----> How old are you........ Having a special 'old man cup' comes in handy........

Best Regards,
                          Stan
                          Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

Forgot another item which from my limited yak trips would have been nice to have..... yaking gloves (I've got two blisters to prove it).

smithmal
                            smithmal

Comment

other items on the essentials list should be pyrotechnics or hand held light, visible 360 anchor light & visible flag.

I have a standard vhf radio but considering I do a lot alone fishing out on the bay I just ordered one with DSC and have acquired an MMIS number. What this does is give in additional one button distress signal that sends out gps coordinates for my boat along with the MMIS which lets the coast guard know what my kayak is and who I am.

Comment

Working...
                              X