Categorizing your fishing yak gear: Essential vs. Helpful vs. Niche

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smithmal View Post
    Forgot another item which from my limited yak trips would have been nice to have..... yaking gloves (I've got two blisters to prove it).

smithmal
    There are two ways to address this issue -- gloves (I wear Cabelas or Buff brand) or Yak Grips that put a neoprene sleeve on your paddle. A secondary benefit of the Yak Grips is that they keep a paddle afloat if it is dropped overboard.

I use both.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by Oldbayrunner View Post
      other items on the essentials list should be pyrotechnics or hand held light, visible 360 anchor light & visible flag.
      Was going to add a flashlight/headlamp. Until I got a large aluminum ruler, I used painters tape with Sharpie delineations on my paddle as a measuring device. Another trick that I've also seen is attaching reflective/high vis tape to the blade of paddles to increase visibility and improve signaling. I also make sure to have water and hand sanitizer aboard as well. I think that a pump or bailing device is essential for sit in kayaks and not a bad idea even for SOT kayaks. A large car wash type sponge can easily be stored in the hull to clean the "bilge". A few other items with varying categorization are dry change of clothes, energy bars (snacks), and a reentry assist device like the Rescue Step. (you can easily rig up one yourself) This is something that I think everyone should consider. This is something that can help you right a turtled kayak and assist in reentry. A dry suit or other foul/cold weather gear is something that I've begun to consider as we transition to colder weather.
      Tight lines
      Hobie Ivory Dune Outback
      Hobie Caribbean Blue Sport
      Wilderness Red Tsunami 145
      Wilderness Green "Warhorse" Tarpon 160

Comment

Working...
      X