Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kayak fishing

It is interesting to hear others perspectives, especially concerning the ones about fishing from a Charter Boat.
    As to the three opportunities presented: fishing from a kayak, a mobile Center Console, or a kayak, I have done all three (if you accept that a canoe and kayak are about the same).

As most of you know, I help out as a first mate on a friend's Charter Boat.
    It gets me outside and although trolling with heavy tackle during trophy season isn't my personal preference, it's his boat, and he's the captain. It's a 8 hour boring boat ride, punctuated with 15 minutes of chaos, and once hooked the fish doesn't stand much a chance. Winding in a large fish on trolling gear is much like reeling in a 5 gallon bucket dragging in the wake.........Not sporting, but it is what it is, and I am not changing his mindset. He is a businessman and his goal is to have the clients bring something to the dock.

Later in the season as we transition to chumming, live lining and / or soft crabbing, there is a change in the skill level, but understand this: the vast majority of our clients start the trip not knowing what they are doing, and by the end of the trip we hope to have added to their skill sets, since both the Captain and I are former teachers. Can guys in kayaks out fish us? I'm sure they do. We can't go where they go, but we can stay out in 2 foot chop with a 15 mph breeze blowing. Probably want to skip that in a yak.

Is it sport fishing? No, probably not. At least not as much.

If we had experienced fisherman on board we could introduce light tackle jigging into the mix, and do just as well ( and there would be a lot less mess to clean up-8 hours of chumming translates to two hours of scrubbing the boat down in the afternoon, after getting to the boat at 5:00 a.m. to set everything up.

Long assed day, and the pay isn't great, plus the first mate is always to blame........LOL.

Visualize 6 clients on the boat: It's 95 degrees, we are live lining under the Bay Bridge, and the Captain is trying to keep the boat set off of the pilings with the wind and the current running in opposite directions. I have 2 guys hooked up on fish, two guys waiting to for me to unhook their catch and two more needing to get baited up. Can you rub your stomach and pat your head while hopping up and down on one foot on a moving surface?

Are we having fun yet?
    But I have learned so much by doing this............

I have also owned a couple of small boats, to increase the area I could cover for my personal fishing. I found out that I hated towing them, more than I liked fishing from them, so I sold them so I could go back and simplify.

These days, I spend most of my fishing time either prowling the shores of local small ponds, much as I started out as a kid 55+ years ago, and tootling around in a canoe fishing small tidal creeks, local ponds and free flowing rivers.
    I use a canoe, because when I started this, kayaks (narrow, low, sit insides) were not suitable to fish from, and as a former Red Cross certified Canoeing Instructor Trainer, I feel very at home in a canoe, recognizing their shortcomings.
    But where I fish, they do the job.
    A sit on top kayak would probably serve me as well, or better, but they are getting too heavy..........and I don't want to have to use a trailer.

There is an intimacy in fishing from these and in this type of location, and a satisfaction in using the skills and knowledge that I have acquired over the past decades that keeps me fishing.
    Unlike the charter boat, I release 95% of what I catch, and since I use almost entirely artificial lures, the fish are released more or less unharmed.
    Yes, it limits my access.
    But is gives me options that I otherwise wouldn't have.

Quote Originally Posted by bignose View Post
    It is interesting to hear others perspectives, especially concerning the ones about fishing from a Charter Boat.
    As to the three opportunities presented: fishing from a kayak, a mobile Center Console, or a kayak, I have done all three (if you accept that a canoe and kayak are about the same).

As most of you know, I help out as a first mate on a friend's Charter Boat.
    It gets me outside and although trolling with heavy tackle during trophy season isn't my personal preference, it's his boat, and he's the captain. It's a 8 hour boring boat ride, punctuated with 15 minutes of chaos, and once hooked the fish doesn't stand much a chance. Winding in a large fish on trolling gear is much like reeling in a 5 gallon bucket dragging in the wake.........Not sporting, but it is what it is, and I am not changing his mindset. He is a businessman and his goal is to have the clients bring something to the dock.

Later in the season as we transition to chumming, live lining and / or soft crabbing, there is a change in the skill level, but understand this: the vast majority of our clients start the trip not knowing what they are doing, and by the end of the trip we hope to have added to their skill sets, since both the Captain and I are former teachers. Can guys in kayaks out fish us? I'm sure they do. We can't go where they go, but we can stay out in 2 foot chop with a 15 mph breeze blowing. Probably want to skip that in a yak.

Is it sport fishing? No, probably not. At least not as much.

If we had experienced fisherman on board we could introduce light tackle jigging into the mix, and do just as well ( and there would be a lot less mess to clean up-8 hours of chumming translates to two hours of scrubbing the boat down in the afternoon, after getting to the boat at 5:00 a.m. to set everything up.

Long assed day, and the pay isn't great, plus the first mate is always to blame........LOL.

Visualize 6 clients on the boat: It's 95 degrees, we are live lining under the Bay Bridge, and the Captain is trying to keep the boat set off of the pilings with the wind and the current running in opposite directions. I have 2 guys hooked up on fish, two guys waiting to for me to unhook their catch and two more needing to get baited up. Can you rub your stomach and pat your head while hopping up and down on one foot on a moving surface?

Are we having fun yet?
    But I have learned so much by doing this............

I have also owned a couple of small boats, to increase the area I could cover for my personal fishing. I found out that I hated towing them, more than I liked fishing from them, so I sold them so I could go back and simplify.

These days, I spend most of my fishing time either prowling the shores of local small ponds, much as I started out as a kid 55+ years ago, and tootling around in a canoe fishing small tidal creeks, local ponds and free flowing rivers.
    I use a canoe, because when I started this, kayaks (narrow, low, sit insides) were not suitable to fish from, and as a former Red Cross certified Canoeing Instructor Trainer, I feel very at home in a canoe, recognizing their shortcomings.
    But where I fish, they do the job.
    A sit on top kayak would probably serve me as well, or better, but they are getting too heavy..........and I don't want to have to use a trailer.

There is an intimacy in fishing from these and in this type of location, and a satisfaction in using the skills and knowledge that I have acquired over the past decades that keeps me fishing.
    Unlike the charter boat, I release 95% of what I catch, and since I use almost entirely artificial lures, the fish are released more or less unharmed.
    Yes, it limits my access.
    But is gives me options that I otherwise wouldn't have.

Great perspective and post, Stu.
    Mark

Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12

Author: The Simple Joys of Kayak Fishing (Tips and Tales From an Old Guy in His Plastic Boat)
    Available on Amazon.com

Now, now, nuttin wrong with powerboat fishing. They both have their place and time and totally different worlds with each having its own complexity. The fishing I do in the kayak, I could never do in the boat and the opposites true for power boating.
    I love kayak fishing, snaking down a dirt road to an empty launch that no boat could be ever find that opens to a laberynth of fishwble pockets, is priceless, but so is powering out to a school of breaking blue, rock and tuna.
    Before we get to ahead of ourselves and build a we-hate-powerboats club because we are more in touch with nature, realize surffishermen think we are cheaters who can't cast and need more electronics than NASA to catch fish.
    Last edited by summersoff; 06-23-2017 at 04:33 AM.
    13' Sand Revo
    16' Yellow Tarpon
    10' Red Ocean Tandem
    Old Red Cherokee

Quote Originally Posted by summersoff View Post
    Now, now, nuttin wrong with powerboat fishing. They both have their place and time and totally different worlds with each having its own complexity. The fishing I do in the kayak, I could never do in the yak and the opposites true for power boating.
    I love kayak fishing, snaking down a dirt road to an empty launch that no boat could be ever find that opens to a laberynth of fishwble pockets, is priceless, but so is powering out to a school of breaking blue, rock and tuna.
    Before we get to ahead of ourselves and build a we-hate-powerboats club, realize surffishermen think we are cheaters who can't cast and need more electronics than NASA to catch fish.
    I certainly did not start this thread as a "I hate powerboats" thread...having started my saltwater fishing on the piers and surf of the Virginia and North Carolina coasts...running the Outer Banks surf chasing breaking fish and gulls in a 4 wheel drive in October and November gives you a different perspective of fishing as does standing shoulder to shoulder with 50 other fishermen heaving 8 oz. wingtip sinker and a half pound of mullet on a fish finder rig a hundred yards into a howling nor'easter on the Rodanthe Fishing pier for 40-70 pound red drum during a drum blitz...or shark fishing in a small boat 30 miles off Rudee Inlet in the Southeast Lumps...after the first 10 or so hours of being hooked up and the boat under tow by a 12 foot tiger shark the fun starts to wear off...don't throw sand on anyone's fishing- it is all good and there ain't much I haven't tried...but I have to say I am partial to what I am currently doing...
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Outback
    "Ugly Duckling" 2010 Olive Hobie Outback
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13

I use to have a few big bass boats with the 225 and I enjoyed it for several years. Then I demo-ed a Hobie Outback, and I really very much enjoyed that, and so I had both. Until I realized which one I now enjoyed more, And so now I am a kayak fisherman. This may have something to do with the aging process....
    keep fishing!!!
    http://docirvcustombaits.com/baitbox/
    484-459-9863
    If you are not satisfied with the color or texture of your custom made Doc Irv baits just let me know and I will redo it at no cost to you to your satisfaction, because I am not happy unless you are happy.*
    *But if you are one of those people who is never satisfied then I retain the right to be unhappy.

I like the fishing I'm doing at the time, whether it is from a boat, on foot or in my kayak.

But a kayak does offer the advantages that have been mentioned in this post.

I mostly fish from my kayak the way I wade. My kayak has simply extended my range and allowed me cross deeper water than I could in my waders.

But otherwise I enjoy the same closeness to the environment that I experience on foot.
    Mark

Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12

Author: The Simple Joys of Kayak Fishing (Tips and Tales From an Old Guy in His Plastic Boat)
    Available on Amazon.com

I'll echo most of what everyone has said. Each type of fishing requires a unique skillset, it all boils down to what you prefer. Doesn't matter, there is always a better fisherman out there regardless of method. Now for charter boats.... that's where I might have to disagree with a few people. I give credit to the captain and crew for putting people on the fish, but as far as the customers go, I cant get myself to call it fishing, more like reeling. For the most part anyway.

Personally, as new as I am to kayak fishing, I love it. I don't even mind 2' chop mixed with boat wakes and wind. Sucks for fishing, but I would still prefer to be out there compared to sitting in front of the TV. I occasionally yearn for a motor or better paddling skills to get me places faster, but I can live with it.
    "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna

Quote Originally Posted by ronaultmtd View Post
    Big Mike pointed this out to me last week...a charterboat with six or more customers powered past us on their way out...Mike said...there goes $600.00 to catch less than what we caught...
    -manny

Hobie Outback
    Wilderness Systems 130T

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I will not presume to say that Iím a better angler because I fish from a kayak. But I will say that my experience wading rivers with a fly rod has improved my kayak angling skills. I think the reason is that both forms of fishing place me close to the water, as close as I can get staying right-side up! Iíve learned to read the water from a vantage point thatís more intimate than being in a boat. Also, both are very tactile ways to fish. I feel the power of the waterís current wading or kayaking. I certainly get wet in both kinds of fishing. I feel the strength of the fish pulling my kayak. In the case of fly fishing Iím directly connected to the fish with my left hand on one end of the line and the fish on the other. There are no gear ratios in between. Certainly, an angler who trolls with heavy tackle in a motor boat cannot appreciate any of the above sensations.

There are many ways to fish; many ways to catch the same species of fish. Even among kayakers we see tremendous variation. Some rely heavily on rigging and accessories to improve their odds. Others are minimalists who regard simplicity as their biggest asset. We see those who pedal and those who paddle. We see trollers and casters; those who use conventional tackle and those who fly fish. Bait anglers vs. those who use artificials. Some search only for big fish. Others are happy to catch whatever they can when they can. They may even go fishing when they do not expect to catch anything, simply to enjoy the very act of fishing. I do. How crazy is that? Our variations as kayakers may be as odd to other anglers as boaters with broomstick rods seem to us.

So, I kayak fish because I like to fish. I hope I never measure my enjoyment as a kayak angler solely by what I catch, how many and how big. If it comes to that, I'll find another hobby.
    Bravo Mark! Well said.
    -manny

Hobie Outback
    Wilderness Systems 130T

I had a similar event last year fishing breaking stripers near Hoopers Island in early October as I was catching one after the other. The charter boats rolled in near me and no one managed to catch anything as they watched me pull & release Stripers. I could see the customers on board the charters watching me the whole time. Hope they got their money's worth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk