iPhone 7 mount for kayak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iPhone 7 mount for kayak

I know. It sounds terrible. Why would you want to bring your phone with you on your peaceful fishing trip? Well, the truth is, I don't! I'd much rather leave it in the car or better yet at home.

However, I have a little girl at home and my wife has made a very reasonable request for me to keep my phone on me at all times.

Sooooooo...

If I have to have my phone on me, then I may as well make use of it. I was hoping to use the gps on it, and perhaps capture some video. The new iPhone is pretty much completely waterproof and creates some really high quality video. I need a mount that will securely hold my phone (waterproof won't do me much good if the phone falls out of the mount and sinks to the bottom of the bay), and if possible reach up high enough to shoot video over my shoulder. I troll a lot and I don't see the point of capturing video if I don't catch the dramatic strike. Lastly, my Trident Ultra 4.3 has a 4" yakattack gear track on the very tip of the stern which would be an ideal place to mount a camera mount so geartrac compatible would be a plus.

Anyone have any tips on a good product?
    Native Titan Propel 12
    Humminbird Helix 7 MEGA DI/SI

Solo Skiff
    Mercury 6hp
    Humminbird Helix 7 MEGA DI/SI
    Minn Kota Riptide Powerdrive w/ Spot-Lock

May I suggest you buy a smart watch, put the phone in a safe dry storage container and buy a dedicated camera for the pictures / video.
    But if you must... look at the xgrip by ram mount

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

http://www.rammount.com/brand/apple/iphone-mounts
      Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

I totally understand as father with a young one, you want your phone close/visible, but I don't care what they say, for me they ain't that waterproof, even with a lifeproof. All those videos showing kids swimming with their iPhones or dunking them in a glass of water are cute, but show a vid of fat guy using an iPhone on a snotty day covered in fish slime would convince me better, and lets be honest, waterproofness is 1/3 of it, it's the dropping/knocking it off that really worries me. That's a $700 penny your not going find at the bottom of the pool. And in case this thread goes in this direction, there are plenty of reports that those iPhone fishfinder app/Bluetooth transducers suck. Why not get one of those vhf that Bluetooth your phone.
        Last edited by summersoff; 06-21-2017, 06:58 PM.
        Jay

10' Green Slayer
        13’ Red Slayer

Comment

Originally posted by Hawg View Post
          I know. It sounds terrible. Why would you want to bring your phone with you on your peaceful fishing trip? Well, the truth is, I don't! I'd much rather leave it in the car or better yet at home.

However, I have a little girl at home and my wife has made a very reasonable request for me to keep my phone on me at all times.

Sooooooo...

If I have to have my phone on me, then I may as well make use of it. I was hoping to use the gps on it, and perhaps capture some video. The new iPhone is pretty much completely waterproof and creates some really high quality video. I need a mount that will securely hold my phone (waterproof won't do me much good if the phone falls out of the mount and sinks to the bottom of the bay), and if possible reach up high enough to shoot video over my shoulder. I troll a lot and I don't see the point of capturing video if I don't catch the dramatic strike. Lastly, my Trident Ultra 4.3 has a 4" yakattack gear track on the very tip of the stern which would be an ideal place to mount a camera mount so geartrac compatible would be a plus.

Anyone have any tips on a good product?
          I completely understand and can sympathize -- I have a little one at home as well.

I've used a waterproof, see-through, flexible case with a lanyard for years. The lanyard is long enough I don't have to remove it in order to look at the phone. Because the case is see-through, it takes pics and video just fine; and yes, the audio is clear enough to alert me to a phone call or a text. I tuck the phone/case combination into my PFD and it stays out of the way when I'm moving around.

BL: Because it's around my neck, and not attached to the boat, the phone never leaves my person. I figure that's a safety benefit in case I inadvertently end up in the water and separated from my yak.

waterproof case.jpg
          Last edited by baitball; 06-22-2017, 05:44 AM.
          -manny

Hobie Outback
          Wilderness Systems 130T
          Hobie Outfitter

Comment

+1 on the waterproof bag case for your phone. I would just keep it tucked in my pfd. I would turn on gps to track my day then go over maps later to see where I got fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Desert Camo- Moken 14
            Tan- Tarpon 140

Comment

Working...
            X