Fish Finder utility for fresh water lake fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fish Finder utility for fresh water lake fishing

I can see where a fish finder would be important for deep water fishing, but in a lake, how often is it really used? I recently watched a video in which the poster indicated that many times, kayak fishermen load their kayaks with all sorts of equipment that is rarely if ever used. He mentioned, that his FF was one of the pieces of equipment that he considered to be non-essential.

I'll be mainly fishing in lakes and may spend quite a bit of time in shallow waters. If fish finders are good for lakes, are their models that work better in lake environments vs. moving water and/or deep water? Total fish finder newb here.

Thanks,

smithmal
    smithmal

2017 Native Ultimate 12 (Lagoon Blue)
    Bending Branches Angler Pro Plus Paddle

2016 Old Town Twin Heron Tandem (Mango)

2012 Nova Craft Pal 16' in Royalex-Lite (Burgundy)

1990 Radisson 12' (SportsPal)

To be honest a fish finder is the least important piece of angling gear of I own and that’s because I predominantly fish shallow waters, even in the Bay and in other larger tidal waters.

I have a fish finder on my Revo which is my “large water” boat. I use it in tidal rivers and in the Bay.

I have none on my Ultimate which is my small water boat used in creeks, lakes and ponds.

However, in fishing shallow water, usually 12 feet and under, and mostly shorelines where the water is only a few feet deep, I rarely see fish on my screen but I catch fish where I saw none. Conversely, in the Severn, I may see fish marks when I passing over 20 to 25 feet of water as I travel from one side of the river to the other, but I carry no tackle to reach them. I'm not going to sit there and vertically jig. I find that boring.

For my style of fishing, the term fish finder is a misnomer. Instead of finding fish it shows me:

1. Distance traveled
    2. Speed
    3. Time of day
    4. Depth
    5. Location via Trails and Waypoints

Data points 1 through 3 are interesting but do nothing to help me catch fish. Data point 4 may help me catch fish by locating variations in the bottom that typically hold fish like a sudden change in depth. And if I’m trolling, trails and waypoints (Data point 5) help me to precisely repeat a recently successful path. But I don’t like to troll. Instead of precisely following a path where I caught a fish, I'm more likely to head to an interesting point of land or some other nearby structure that looks "fishy" to me.

I think fish finders have a lot more utility for power boaters who travel great distances and fish in deeper waters. I suspect I’m in the minority here but frankly, I could get along very nicely without a fish finder in my kayak given my fishing preferences. There are times I think it’s more trouble than it’s worth to set up, power, and manipulate. But like most things in kayak fishing, you actually have to buy it and use it before you realize you don’t need it. I can add other things to that list too but that’s a topic for another thread.
    Last edited by Mark; 06-20-2017, 11:18 PM.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

If you are primarily casting along shorelines in lakes and/or rivers to cover you can see, like docks, vegetation, woody debris, etc. then a fish finder is not an essential piece of gear. However, there are times when fish are deeper and finding underwater structure is useful. Bass could be holding deep in the winter, crappie may be on a submerged tree, or catfish may be in an underwater channel. A fish finder can help you identify structure away from the shore when the fish are not shallow and along the shoreline. Finding structure is far more important than being able to see fish on the fish finder. Also, many lakes stratify in the summer and it can be useful know where the thermocline is, and it can usually be seen on a fish finder.

When trolling for stripers in the Bay, I find a fish finder almost a necessity. When trolling I am primarily targeting underwater structure that cannot be seen, such as drop offs and ledges. It is also helpful to see and keep track of the depths that you are catching fish. I assume if you were to target land-locked stripers, it would be just a useful.

On top of all of that, I just like seeing whats going on below the surface. The more you know about a body of water you fish, to more effectively you can fish it. But if your goal is to simplify, you can certainly catch fish without one.
      Kevin

2013 Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I think I'll hold off on a fish finder initially and see how it goes. However, this thread does give me a excellent idea for a new thread....

smithmal
        smithmal

Comment

My first few outings in my kayak to St Mary's Lake I didn't have a fish finder. Like you I fished shoreline structure or would catch some fish in open water but no idea why. After I got my fish finder my catch rate has gone up 100% and I rarely see fish on it. It's all about locating ledges, channels and other deeper structure. I found one ledge in particular that people just pass right over because it's too close to tempting shore, yet it's produced way more fish for me than the shore ever will. Another section has an old creek channel that is two feet deeper than surrounding flats. If your not on it your not catching fish. I would highly recommend one for freshwater.
          Mike
          Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Mike,

You make some really excellent points there. Is there a primer or video somewhere that provides really in depth instruction on how to read shoreline/underwater structures on fish finders as it relates to catching fish. My novice experience with fish finders is looking for dots on a screen and saying "there's the fish" and casting which usually leads to not catching any fish. Also, is there a fish finder you reccomend that functions well in communicating underwater structures to the user without "breaking the bank?"

Thanks,

smithmal
            smithmal

Comment

I would check youtube for instructional videos. Basically, all you're looking for is changes in depth/pieces of structure, any structural abnormality can hold fish. Some examples include a steep dropoff into deeper water, a hole that's deeper than the surrounding area, a grass mat, rock pile, etc. I have the Garmin Striker 4, and the picture quality is great for $120, plus it gives you the ability to mark spots and routes if you find a good piece of structure that you'd like to return to. There are a few other depth finders in the $100 range that would work well too, it just comes down to personal preference.
              Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Comment

One of the things about kayak fishing that limits the value of fish finders in my opinion is that basically we fish shallow water and most of us routinely fish familiar waters over a limited range.

When I first got my unit it did indeed help me to recognize structural variations under the waters I regularly fished. In fact, it merely confirmed why I was I was catching fish in those areas before I got my fish finder! I certainly don’t need the finder now to return to those areas. And I cannot say that it has significantly helped me find new areas to fish in my accustomed waters.

In my opinion, the best fish finders are right in front of our eyes but not attached to our gunnels.

Some are supplied by nature: Working birds and the landscape itself, such as downed trees, points and coves.

Manmade structure such as riprap, bridge pilings, docks, etc. provide breaks in the current and/or a literal grocery store for predatory fish to find food.

Seams in the current, where fast water meets slower water -- a conveyor belt of food for feeding fish.

Oyster bars, many conveniently marked with buoys by the DNR.

Eddies.

Shade.

I think learning to recognize the possibilities of the above through experience will contribute to your catch totals perhaps more than gazing at the electronics you have mounted on you kayak. However, I do believe electronics can be invaluable in catching fish – channel 68 on a VHF radio. The radio chatter of your buddies on the water will give you real-time, infallible information of where the fish are and what they are biting.
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

What's the deal with the lake maps that you can DL to your FF? Are they worth it.?

smitmal
                  smithmal

Comment

I have found the side imaging feature of the Hummingbird 798 unit to be very helpful in shallow water- especially fishing flats with a surging tide washing across them..a shallow depression in a flat is "structure" that can hold big fish...casting to these depressions can be productive...and if you have "tuned" your unit to show 50 feet to each side you know just how far to cast...and that white streak you see on the screen in three FOW...that is a fish...
                    Last edited by ronaultmtd; 06-23-2017, 08:16 AM.
                    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by smithmal View Post
                      What's the deal with the lake maps that you can DL to your FF? Are they worth it.?

smitmal
                      The answer to this is yes.. to a degree. It depends if you have a FF with wifi capability and a wifi enabled device such as a phone with mobile hotspot. Otherwise you can use your card to either record and log your sonar maps, save them and/or upload them to the cards web site. This would depend on the card your using. Navionics you need a paid subscription, Insight Genesis you don't. With both of those you can download mapping from others who have mapped the area thereby having the latest information. As with others if you fish a place often enough you don't need to use it. Some places like the Susquehanna and upper parts of the flats are affected by strong currents at times so some structure and obstructions can change so I find I use it even though I know that area well.

Outside of just using a fish finder's 2D, Downscan and sidescan to find fish, having a fish finder with a card makes it easier especially for places you haven't fished as yet. You can go to web sites select any area your going to fish and download that area's mapping. That mapping will not only give you the nav chart but more importantly the bathymetric mapping, along with previous mapped obstuctions etc. others have logged. With the bathymetrics there is a wealth of information once you learn how to read it on where to start searching for fish. Also with a card you can pre plan your fishing trip by downloading that mapping information store it on your card then pre map your route(s)and set waypoints for the areas of interest That way your more prepared for your fishing trip. Even if you don't pre plan, with an updated card you can download the updated maps, look at the areas bathymetric mapping and pretty much know where to start looking.

Of course many lakes as soon as you get there and see with you own eyes the tell signs that we know usually hold fish are a great way to start but for unknown areas a fish finder and a mapped card can be a really handy tool.

Comment

Oldbayrunner,

Thanks for the reply. It is much appreciated. Are there any primers that I could read or videos I could watch to instruct me on how to properly analyze these maps as it relates to finding fish?

Thanks,

smithmal
                        smithmal

Comment

Originally posted by smithmal View Post
                          Oldbayrunner,

Thanks for the reply. It is much appreciated. Are there any primers that I could read or videos I could watch to instruct me on how to properly analyze these maps as it relates to finding fish?

Thanks,

smithmal
                          Yes there are a lot of instructional videos by users and manufacturers on youtube

Comment

Like others, I do not rely on my FF to find individual fish, but rather I use my FF to find the clues that make one particular geographical area "more fishy" than another. Structure has already been addressed, but I would like to add two more items to this discussion that I feel are just as important: Bait and Marking Waypoints.

We have all heard the adage: "Find the bait, find the predators." Many times I will mark bait on my FF without marking the actual predatory fish feeding on them. I know sooner or later the predators will show up so having this piece of information contributes to my overall knowledge about the particular body of water I am fishing that day. BL: I consider marking bait just as important as marking a piece of structure.

Which leads me to my second point - Marking Waypoints. Fish Finders with GPS mapping software (commonly known as "chartplotters") permit the user to mark waypoints. The first thing I do when my rod bends over is to drop a waypoint on my chartplotter. If I find bait, I drop a waypoint. If I find an interesting piece of structure, I drop a waypoint etc... Over time I have a slew of waypoints on my map. The waypoints can be refined further with different symbols to denote fish, bait, or structure. Over time this "shot grouping" of waypoints paints me a picture of where I should be focused on in a particular body of water. Additionally, it's important to keep in mind this picture could change slightly, or significantly, based on seasons and time of year. A heatlthy group of waypoints on one's chartplotter also helps remind you of seasonal variations - it's like having a virtual log book at your fingertips.

By nature, kayak fishermen are a nomadic bunch. A portable fishing platform like a kayak affords us an advantage over our powerboat brethren - even those with trailerable powerboats. As kayak fishermen we are not beholden to a boat ramp, dock, or boat slip - we can put into the water just about anywhere. Because of this, kayak fishermen like to travel and explore new places to wet a line. As one builds up their repertoire of fishing spots, it's nice to be able to call up a location on your chartplotter you may have fished months or even years ago and get an idea of where to start.

Hope this helps.
                            Last edited by baitball; 06-24-2017, 07:15 AM.
                            -manny

Hobie Outback
                            Wilderness Systems 130T
                            Hobie Outfitter

Comment

Manny,

Thanks for the advice. It is very helpful. I think I will change my tune and add a FF to my list of yak equipment.

What is considered a good FF that can provide waypoints, SD card, good structure/bottom detail and won't break the bank. I'd even be interested in a model that is somewhat old on the market, but was done very well that I might be able to find used and/or cheap.

Thanks,

smithmal
                              smithmal

Comment

Working...
                              X