Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Learning Cobia Kayak-fishing in Western Shore, VA (June 1 14, 2017)

Quote Originally Posted by ComeOnFish View Post
    I started cutting the leader after loosing few 8 OZ sinkers.
    I put two baits out one low (close to bottom) and the other in the middle of the water column.
    I drive almost 4 hours to Kipto. ESVA is out for me.

Thanks
    Joe
    You did really well. I enjoyed the video a lot. Shame you lost the nice ones. And I agree....if you are into cobia like that on the (closer) western side that is where I'd be.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
    Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
    2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Quote Originally Posted by ronaultmtd View Post
    Cobia are exasperating fish...when you think they have swallowed the bait, they are swimming around just holding the fish in their mouth and chances are you will pull the hook if you set it...and they will take a big piece of bunker on the bottom...my best luck has been near the mouth of Back River just off the channel right smack dab in the middle of crab alley...crab pots galore...lost several nice fish to crab pots...and chum, chum and chum...fish a line on the bottom and a ballon float about ten feet deep 30-50 feet back in the chum slick...sharks and rays are going to bite...it is unavoidable. Bluefish are a PIA on your live bait float...they come in and bite your spot half in two..as do sharpnose and juvenile bull sharks...I used to launch out of Wallace's and added benefit is Wallace's sells frozen bunker chum as well as bait & tackle...
    The owner of Wallace changed.
    The a gallon size chum from Wallace was in the waxed paper box. I had to buy a chum bag separately, and I had to put the second chum box in a plastic bag to keep in my cooler. So I buy the one gallon chum from Grafton (frozen chum is in a chum bag and in a sealed plastic bag).

I haven't seen any one fishing for cobia out of Back River. I was the only one. Last year I hooked 3 big cobia. I couldn't land none of them.

Joe
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Slobber Bob View Post
    Awesome stuff, Joe!

First off, I'm super jealous! I had big plans for cobia this month and nothing seemed to pan out for me. Work, daddy duties, wind, wind, wind, and so on have made it a big bust so far. I'm glad you got some.

Second, way to get out there and learn it trial and error by yourself! It seems like a lot of people these days are always looking for somebody to show them how to fish instead of just doing it and learning as they go.

I am surprised you had such poor hookup rates with circle hooks. Circles are usually fool proof if you just let the fish hook itself.

You're correct that gaffing is illegal, but I'm pretty sure you can still hammer one that is legal size and you plan to keep.

One last comment. You said that hand sized spot in the video was too big for a 40 - 45" cobia. You might be right. But I doubt it isn't too big for 65"+ cobia; which is definitely within the possibilities. Think BIG!
    I am sure a 50 incher can swallow a spot or small croaker. I just have to meet them.

joe
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.

Nicely done Joe. I always enjoy watching your videos.

Outback 2015
    Outback 2012
    Maui

Quote Originally Posted by ComeOnFish View Post
    The owner of Wallace changed.
    The a gallon size chum from Wallace was in the waxed paper box. I had to buy a chum bag separately, and I had to put the second chum box in a plastic bag to keep in my cooler. So I buy the one gallon chum from Grafton (frozen chum is in a chum bag and in a sealed plastic bag).

I haven't seen any one fishing for cobia out of Back River. I was the only one. Last year I hooked 3 big cobia. I couldn't land none of them.

Joe
    Yeah, been a while since I fished there- Wallace's was a hangout of mine...but Grandview and Back River has big cobia...so does Bluefish Rock and the rockpiles off Buckroe Beach...and I have lost my fair share of big cobia to so many different reasons- including the pilings on the CBBT, line wrapped around crab pots, pulled hooks, and just plain old breaking them off...and had sandtiger (raggedtooth sharks) that were well over 200 pounds when cobia fishing at Lattimer Shoals...I have gotten to the point I don't chase these giant fish much any more...used to love catching King mackerel and cobia...nowadays, I don't fish for them...planned on it last year, but didn't...
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Outback
    "Ugly Duckling" 2010 Olive Hobie Outback
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13