NJ Black Drum/Striped Bass Dream Trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NJ Black Drum/Striped Bass Dream Trip

Due to weather and work I only had one 2 day window to chase one of my favorite kayak fish- black drum. We could only find clams on the Delaware side so that's where we started. 4 of us fished a whole evening tide the first day and had zero signs of life. Only a couple boats out there too and they all reported the skunk. We still had more than half our clams and the reports from the Jersey side were good so we decided to hop on the Cape May - Lewes ferry and try our luck on the north side of the bay.

We got the first ferry from Lewes and got to Cape May nice and early. The bay was flat and full of bunker schools, dolphins and even a couple whales. We saw a small fleet of boats on the drum grounds when we pulled up to the launch. A local surf fisherman I talked to when I was getting my stuff together told me they had been doing well with big stripers in close the past few days. When we launched, we immediately found bunker and decided to try to chunk a few in close for those rumored bass. It took about 10 minutes for my first bunker head to get slammed by an almost 30 lb bass. It fought so hard in the current and the water was so dirty I thought I finally had my 50! I decided to land it onshore and it was really nice but not as big as I'd hoped. Twenty minutes later I got another slightly smaller one.

FullSizeRender.jpgIMG_9300.jpg

The other half of our party was out in the drum fleet and at that point they said the drum were drumming and people were starting to hook up. I left the inshore bass grounds and booked it another half mile offshore into 20 FOW looking for the big drum. My one buddy hooked up when I got there and pretty soon 3 of us were hooked up at once all to nice fish over 50 lbs. We stuck it out a little longer and I managed another 30ish lb drum late in the day. It was an amazing day and the first time ever I've been able to get that magical drum/bass combo.

IMG_8091.jpgIMG_8093.jpg

Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Those are some massive-sized drum! Congratulations. It seems like it was a fun day.
    -manny

Hobie Outback
    Wilderness Systems 130T
    Hobie Outfitter

Comment

Big stripers and big drum in the same day? I'd say it's gonna be hard to beat that! Well earned, man. I always enjoy your videos too. Thanks for sharing.
      Brian

Comment

Outstanding!
        Bruce

Hobie PA 14
        Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Great day for sure! Congrats!

Hobie Fishing Team Member
          Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
          2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Out of curiosity, what is the bottom on the drum grounds over on the Cape May side? Are you guys fishing over oyster bars, tube worm corals, or just sand shoals?
            Brian

Comment

Nicely done Romo!

Outback 2015
              Maui

Comment

Thanks guys! Bob- the bottom of the drum grounds is the bottom of the bay- basically right to the ferry terminal. Some years they congregate in some places more than others. There is rampant fleet syndrome out there but we always try to fish far away from the boats. That particular day, though, the boats were on them when we got there so we stayed close. The area we were fishing is what they south jersey locals call the "20 foot slough." Its just a slightly deeper cut that runs for a few miles from the mouth of the bay up to the Villas area. As far as I know it is just sand bottom and is a path on their migration route up the bay to spawn. It's much different than the DE side where you have to get on the hard bottom and tube worm beds to find the drum. The Jersey side has significantly stronger currents, too, especially when the full and new moons hit which happen to be the peak times for the drum bite.
                Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

That's interesting how it differs from the Delaware side as far as not having to be on a bed or hard bottom to really key in on the bite. I will say that big drum and clams from a kayak looks like a recipe for a slimy, gunky, stinky kind of day
                  Brian

Comment

Working...
                  X