Fletcher's Cove 06/17/2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fletcher's Cove 06/17/2017

Managed to get out for a few hours this weekend. Lots of fish showing up on the fish finder, but nothing biting. No striper, no perch, no bass, no snakehead. No nothing. Worked back and forth between the boat house and chain bridge. Not even any snags, which is odd as I always lose a fair amount of tackle on the rocks there (the Potomac would collect its dues later however). Decided to switch it up and go for some blue cats.

Ended up with a 35 and 28lbers plus a mess of smaller ones with a few channel cats caught on gulp as well. The 28lber took off and it took me a good 15 minutes before I got her in the boat. The 35lber was a stubborn SOB. He didn't run at all but as soon as I would get 10ft or so reeled in, it would make a quick little dive back to the bottom and do its best not to budge. Finally managed to get him up to the kayak and into the net. As soon as he touched the net... snap, crackle, pop goes my trusty St. Croix (first time a fish ever blew up a rod on me).

Awesome day until clouds disappeared and then it turned nasty hot. We had a good time though. I was super proud of the little guy. I had to loosen the drag a little bit, but he managed to do at least 50% of the reeling to get those guys to the boat!

IMG_4433.jpgIMG_4417.jpgIMG_4431.jpg
    "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna
    Jackson Cuda 12

Those are some of the best photos I've ever seen here on this website. Excellent report!

Comment

Really nice fish! It makes me wish I lived closer to my prime bluecat fishing spots. They're as close to guaranteed action, in terms of big fish, as I can probably get.

Comment

That's what I like about them. When my son gets bored fishing for more 'desirable' species, I know I can just drop down some cut bait and keep him entertained for a while.

This time out I taught him one of the major rules of fishing. You can sit there and watch your rod for hours and nothing will bite, but as soon as you pick up another rod to cast some lures with while your waiting, a fish will strike the first rod.
        "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna
        Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

Nice catches! Congrats!

Comment

Working...
          X