Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Depth of the lure has three components: Length of line; weight of lure, speed of yak.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
    I mainly use 1/8 and 1/4 oz jigheads...I have a few 3/8 oz. but nothing heavier...all of my fish come on those...in shallow flats I throw mostly 1/8 oz 3/0 hook jighead. In 8-15 FOW 1/4 oz 4/0 hook is my standard...if I were using 5 or 6 inch swimbaits I might be in the 1/2-3/4 oz range...I just received my order from Bomber baits for 25 red 1/4 oz. Shad 4/0 hook jigheads...that should last me a while...90% of my fishing is done with a 1/4 oz. jig- mix in XR10 Rapala, a #3 mepps spinner (white perch) and Tsunami popper and that is my arsenal...

Serious. I am packing up now to go out tomorrow. I'll check all this out when I get back. Great information. Thanks!!

Best Regards,
    Stan
    Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

Originally posted by Crotalus View Post
      I occasionally (sometimes intentionally, sometimes inadvertently) troll into shallower water and make a mental note of where my lures start hitting the bottom. It's been pretty consistent the depths certain combinations of jigheads and paddletails run, which allows me to choose the combo that will run the depth I am targeting.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
      +1 on this technique. It may seem crude, but it works.
      -manny

Hobie Outback
      Wilderness Systems 130T
      Hobie Outfitter

Comment

Ton of great info in this thread.
        With all the crab pots this season, I'm constantly turning and fluctuating my trolling speed. Keeping my jig steady is nearly impossible where I fish. One thing I like to do, to combat the trolling monotony and feel my jig is I alternate holding one rod for a bit. For one, I love to feel a strike. Second, I like giving it a few jerks now again to clean the line and impart a little action. Can't tell how many times I get hits when I give a couple taps. Third, holding the rod telegraphs if it is hitting the bottom and where it is in the column.
        Last edited by summersoff; 06-25-2017, 05:55 PM.
        Jay

10' Green Slayer
        13’ Red Slayer

Comment

Drag is another component in addition to weight, line out and speed. Drag comes from the diameter of your fishing line, the cross sectional area of your lure, the bulk of the lure and the overall shape.
          I happen to be super particular about knowing the depth my lures run. It makes a huge difference to be in the strike zone vs out of it, even in water less than 10'. That's really why I prefer trolling hard baits of known diving characteristics or my Chesapeake Rigs as long as I have a line counter. Just my two cents for whatever it's worth. Good thread guys.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Kokatat Pro Staff
          Torqeedo Pro Staff
          Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
          Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Yak Fish View Post
            Drag is another component in addition to weight, line out and speed. Drag comes from the diameter of your fishing line, the cross sectional area of your lure, the bulk of the lure and the overall shape.
            I happen to be super particular about knowing the depth my lures run. It makes a huge difference to be in the strike zone vs out of it, even in water less than 10'. That's really why I prefer trolling hard baits of known diving characteristics or my Chesapeake Rigs as long as I have a line counter. Just my two cents for whatever it's worth. Good thread guys.
            Interesting point about hard baits with different diving depths...
            2015 Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Q: Has anyone ever tried an in-line planer from a kayak? If so, does it work well, or is it too much effort? I'm talking the Sea Striker-brand planers like these: http://www.seastriker.com/ss_files/planers.htm or the Luhr Jensen-brand "Jet Divers" like these: https://www.rapala.com/luhr-jensen/t...Jet+Diver.html

planer.jpg

planer2.jpg

Sea Striker Planers
              The planer takes your lure down deep without heavy sinkers. While in trolling position, the planer runs at a 45 degree angle. When a fish is hooked, it returns to the surface. All sizes feature a rugged stainless steel blade. Packaged in a clear bag with header. Suitable for pegboard or bulk display. Models 4 & 5 are also available in braced that prevents the larger blades from flexing. The deluxe planer is approximately 10” long with a brace running across the bottom, securing the planer wire and blade together. This keeps your planer in tune and running straight. The HS8 is a high speed planer that allows the fisherman to troll a higher speeds The HS8 is also available in a kit.
              ITEM SIZE Approx. depth
              SSP1 1 5-12 feet
              SSP2 2 10-20 feet
              SSP3 3 12-25 feet
              SSP4 4 15-30 feet
              SSP4BR 4 braced 15-30 feet
              SSP5 5 20-40 feet
              SSP5BR 5 braced 20-40 feet
              DLX-P 6 braced 20-40 feet
              HS8 8 braced (hi-speed) 10-40 feet
              jet diver.jpg
              jet diver2.jpg

Luhr Jensen Jet Divers feature a unique, buoyant design that collects water pressure against its wings to dive; yet when pressure is relaxed, the Jet Diver will float off of structure. The preeminent diver for river back-trolling applications, the Jet Diver enables the presentation of lures and baits tight to the river bottom where most fish are found.
              Last edited by baitball; 06-26-2017, 01:48 AM.
              -manny

Hobie Outback
              Wilderness Systems 130T
              Hobie Outfitter

Comment

I've used jet divers and they work well, but they don't last. They eventually crack and fill with water.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                Kokatat Pro Staff
                Torqeedo Pro Staff
                Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Yak Fish View Post
                  I've used jet divers and they work well, but they don't last. They eventually crack and fill with water.
                  That may explain why I see more search returns come back with "Dipsy Diver" from Luhr Jensen than for the "Jet Diver".

It seems with the "Dipsy Diver" there is no cavity-cracking risk, it looks like one, solid disk.
                  Dipsey_Diver.jpg
                  dipsey_art.jpg
                  MagnumDiver-chart.jpg
                  -manny

Hobie Outback
                  Wilderness Systems 130T
                  Hobie Outfitter

Comment

If I am targeting deep channels like 80-100 feet, I pull stretch 30's or 4 oz. in line lead trolling sinkers on 65# braid on Abu 6500 reels...otherwise, I go light tackle with 1/8-3-8 oz. jighead with 3-4 inch swimbaits and XR8-12 XRaps...the depth of the structure you plan to fish has everything to do with the depth of your lures...shallow water of 8-15 feet is mostly where I am...
                    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by manlystanley View Post
                      Great advice, thanks! I got my first Rock this past week, but I know I need more skill. I'm just throwing it out and hopping for the best. I've got some comments to your points:

Lure shape, affects depth: I never thought of that. So, I'd guess that a plastic with a larger tail would cause the lure to raise???

Rod Angle: Hmmmm...... I run two lines, one in the back at 60 degrees, and the second off the side, level to the water. So, I could cause the lure to change depths by raising the working the rod off the side.... Interesting. I really get a lot of hit's making turns, so this could be a nice little factor to try........

Making turns: I've noticed that. I'll that a try more. I never thought that the direction of the turn would after the lure on either side differently. Good point.

So, armed with my new found pointers, I'll give it a try Thursday.

Thanks,
                      Stan
                      All this time throwing it out and hoping for the best has been the technique I go to 70% of the time!!!
                      Gregory
                      ​Ain't Misbehavin'
                      2014 Pro Angler 12
                      '

Comment

Working...
                      X