Wilson Bridge Bluecats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wilson Bridge Bluecats

I over slept a little but still caught most of the out going tide Saturday morning. I wanted to be on the water by 6:30 but didn't hit the water till 7:45 I had the first fish on the yak by 7:55. It was a good morning with about 40 fish landed (most in the 22 to 26 inch range) and 2 monsters braking my line on the concrete wall. I took raw chicken breast, shrimp and some Blue gill I had in the freezer. The chicken was the clear winner again, I caught a few on the shrimp and one on the blue gill and all the rest on chicken. I fished until 1:00 when things had slowed as much as the tide. I would have liked to have hung out and fished the incoming but had plans with the family. I got talked into doing Kayak Wars again so I will be hammering the Wilson for a while, easy points.

100_1926.jpg100_1936.jpg100_1939.jpg100_1943.jpg100_1948.jpg100_1955.jpg100_1957.jpg100_1958.jpg100_1938.jpg100_1942.jpg
    Jim

Hobie Outback
    TKAA member
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers inc.

Everyone should believe in something... I believe I'll go fishing.

40 Cats!!! Wow, you are the man...
    Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

Originally posted by manlystanley View Post
      40 Cats!!! Wow, you are the man...
      The Wilson bridge is a very easy place to fish and the catfish are almost always there. I have only have a few bad days there.
      Jim

Hobie Outback
      TKAA member

Comment

Really nice fish! It's crazy how some of those fish look really clean and healthy, and other ones have been seriously beat up.

Comment

Originally posted by yakscientist View Post
          Really nice fish! It's crazy how some of those fish look really clean and healthy, and other ones have been seriously beat up.
          They are just coming out of the spawning period so they have been rolling around getting their groove on.
          Jim

Hobie Outback
          TKAA member

Comment

Nice Carl! Those are some fatties!

Comment

Originally posted by mytmouse View Post
              Nice Carl! Those are some fatties!
              Thanks Carl.
              Jim

Hobie Outback
              TKAA member

Comment

what size hook do you use, and approx how large a chuck of chicken breast?

i was out at marshall hall saturday with only shrimp, two boats launching with me swore up and down by chicken, so now i know!
                Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Originally posted by mchottie View Post
                  what size hook do you use, and approx how large a chuck of chicken breast?

i was out at marshall hall saturday with only shrimp, two boats launching with me swore up and down by chicken, so now i know!
                  I use a 8/0 to 10/0 circle hook and 4 to 8 onces of lead on a fish finder rig. I don't go too big on the chicken chunks, maybe the size of a half dollar or a little bigger. I have found the bigger it is the more it will spin in the current and twist your line and it doesn't seem to get bigger fish. That 42" cat was on a 8/0 with small piece of chicken. I was running low on bait by the time that one came around.
                  Just remember Blue catfish feed a foot or two off the bottom so you want some line out so your bait drifts up off the bottom.
                  Jim

Hobie Outback
                  TKAA member

Comment

Very Nice! I motored up to the bridge in the bass boat just to knock the cobwebs off the motor but didn't fish there. I normally use a 5/0 circle for kahle hooks under 2 ounces of lead to drift. 8 oz seems heavy, but I assume you were still fishing near the center of the bridge. I agree with the size of the bait. You can catch big fish with small bait. Ever been fishing the bridge at night? Seems like some major action could be had then. Thanks for sharing your catch and your experience with us!
                    Gregory
                    ​Ain't Misbehavin'
                    2014 Pro Angler 12
                    '

Comment

the night action doesn't seem to be much different, jones Point park is open till 10:00 so 9:30 is the latest I've fished the bridge but in the winter that's a few hours after sunset.

I try and use the bigger books so I don't deal with as many little dinks. I still get them on 10/0 it not many.
                      Jim

Hobie Outback
                      TKAA member

Comment

Originally posted by Rockchaser View Post
                        I use a 8/0 to 10/0 circle hook and 4 to 8 onces of lead on a fish finder rig. I don't go too big on the chicken chunks, maybe the size of a half dollar or a little bigger. I have found the bigger it is the more it will spin in the current and twist your line and it doesn't seem to get bigger fish. That 42" cat was on a 8/0 with small piece of chicken. I was running low on bait by the time that one came around.
                        Just remember Blue catfish feed a foot or two off the bottom so you want some line out so your bait drifts up off the bottom.
                        The big one I got hit a 5/0 hook, so yeah I would recommend not going crazy with big hooks. I think anything between 4/0-10/0 would be fine. And kevinfry taught me the trick about putting a small float a few inches from your hook to get the bait to hover a few feet off the bottom. It works.

Comment

Nice work on the cats!

Comment

Originally posted by daolai View Post
                            Nice work on the cats!
                            Thanks
                            Jim

Hobie Outback
                            TKAA member

Comment

Dang!! Congrats on all the pullage!

Comment

Working...
                              X