Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dulock snaps vs. Lefty Krey loop knot

For this year, I have dumped the terminal tackle for my yak fishing. I used to have a standard braid to swivels tied to Flouro tied to speed clip. I have found it to be a hassle in the yak. Lines get caught up more, and I accidentally bring my line in past the swivel way more often in the yak than the surf. Now I use a uni to uni for the braid to flouro (I ain't doing that overly complicated FG knot) with a loop knot to the lure. It's a lot cleaner, less hang-ups, no more swivel breaking the guide worry and the loop allows for a better presentation. I think my hook ups have increased due to the loop knot. Also trying to get a duro or speed clip in some of these smaller bay lures is a PITA, and I can tie way faster.
    Furthermore, some of these plugs work better tide direct without swivels or clips, like spooks.
    Last edited by summersoff; 06-18-2017 at 10:00 AM.
    13' Sand Revo
    16' Yellow Tarpon
    10' Red Ocean Tandem
    Old Red Cherokee

Thanks Mark!
    Joe

2016 Vibe Sea Ghost 130

Quote Originally Posted by Slobber Bob View Post
    But I have to ask what is the point of a duo-lock snap in the first place if you're swapping out rods to change lures and you're not actually using the snap to change lures? Is the snapthere just to avoid tying directly to the hook eye?
    Free swinging lure catches more fish- even the Krey loop knot isn't as rigid as the metal snap in allowing the lure to have full range of motion- the knot gets pulled taunt and that restricts motion...ever had that one lure you go to that catches fish but an exact same lure, color, size doesn't?
    Last edited by ronaultmtd; 06-18-2017 at 11:22 AM.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Outback
    "Ugly Duckling" 2010 Olive Hobie Outback
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13

I agree with Ron and Mark about using the loop knot (note that some references refer to the Lefty loop, Krey loop, or just loop). As far as I can tell they are all the same knot.

I have a question for those of you who use swimming plugs or other hard plastic lures. Do you use a loop knot to attach them? Does it matter if the attachment point already has a split ring attached to the tie-off point on the lure?
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11 and Slayer Propel 10
    Member - Pro Staff team for Native Watercraft

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" - light tackle fishing techniques for kayaks and small boats

I've had a few failures with the small Tactical Anglers clips. The metal used is weak and can bend out of shape. Not an issue with the larger versions.

Quote Originally Posted by J.A. Veil View Post
    I have a question for those of you who use swimming plugs or other hard plastic lures. Do you use a loop knot to attach them? Does it matter if the attachment point already has a split ring attached to the tie-off point on the lure?
    If a lure has a split ring, I use a Trilene knot and cinch it tight to the split ring.
    Mark

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12

Author: The Simple Joys of Kayak Fishing (Tips and Tales From an Old Guy in His Plastic Boat)
    Available on Amazon.com

Quote Originally Posted by JAR View Post
    I've had a few failures with the small Tactical Anglers clips. The metal used is weak and can bend out of shape. Not an issue with the larger versions.
    Were they true TA clips or a knockoff brand? I've had some knockoff brand 50 lb clips that were junk compared to the true TA 50lb clip.

Quote Originally Posted by ronaultmtd View Post
    Free swinging lure catches more fish- even the Krey loop knot isn't as rigid as the metal snap in allowing the lure to have full range of motion- the knot gets pulled taunt and that restricts motion...ever had that one lure you go to that catches fish but an exact same lure, color, size doesn't?
    I'll take your word for it. I quit tying knots to my lures many years ago. I change lures far too often to deal with knot tying all day long. Fortunately, TA clips came along and fixed the problem you experienced with the duo lock snap opening.

I'm not really sure what you are trying to ask in the last sentence?

I believe the frequency of vibration... "Tuned" lures...changing the lip angle 1 degrees changes the wiggly, the vibration, shimmy, whatever you want to call it...is the secret to why one crankbait catches fish when another exact same model, color, everything- doesn't- so having a free-er swinging bait might do the same...hard to prove but...
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Outback
    "Ugly Duckling" 2010 Olive Hobie Outback
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13

You're breaking out the microscope now, haha . I see what your saying though, but there are so many variables at play when it comes to triggering a bite. Whether you stick with duo-lock snaps, change to TA clips, try some other kind of clip, or tie directly with a loop knot, I believe each provides more than sufficient enough "lure swing" to entice the fish in our local waters.