Dulock snaps vs. Lefty Krey loop knot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
    I have a question for those of you who use swimming plugs or other hard plastic lures. Do you use a loop knot to attach them? Does it matter if the attachment point already has a split ring attached to the tie-off point on the lure?
    If a lure has a split ring, I use a Trilene knot and cinch it tight to the split ring.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by JAR View Post
      I've had a few failures with the small Tactical Anglers clips. The metal used is weak and can bend out of shape. Not an issue with the larger versions.
      Were they true TA clips or a knockoff brand? I've had some knockoff brand 50 lb clips that were junk compared to the true TA 50lb clip.
      Brian

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
        Free swinging lure catches more fish- even the Krey loop knot isn't as rigid as the metal snap in allowing the lure to have full range of motion- the knot gets pulled taunt and that restricts motion...ever had that one lure you go to that catches fish but an exact same lure, color, size doesn't?
        I'll take your word for it. I quit tying knots to my lures many years ago. I change lures far too often to deal with knot tying all day long. Fortunately, TA clips came along and fixed the problem you experienced with the duo lock snap opening.

I'm not really sure what you are trying to ask in the last sentence?
        Brian

Comment

I believe the frequency of vibration... "Tuned" lures...changing the lip angle 1 degrees changes the wiggly, the vibration, shimmy, whatever you want to call it...is the secret to why one crankbait catches fish when another exact same model, color, everything- doesn't- so having a free-er swinging bait might do the same...hard to prove but...
          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

You're breaking out the microscope now, haha . I see what your saying though, but there are so many variables at play when it comes to triggering a bite. Whether you stick with duo-lock snaps, change to TA clips, try some other kind of clip, or tie directly with a loop knot, I believe each provides more than sufficient enough "lure swing" to entice the fish in our local waters.
            Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Slobber Bob View Post
              Were they true TA clips or a knockoff brand? I've had some knockoff brand 50 lb clips that were junk compared to the true TA 50lb clip.
              True TA clips, been using them since Crazy Alberto put them out. I actually prefer the original Breakaways in the smaller size, better value for the money.
              2014 Hobie Pro Angler
              2018 Viking Profish 400 Lite

Comment

Like many of us, I attend fishing seminars in the winter months where local charter captains speak. Also, the Free State Fly Fishers often have light tackle charter captains as guest speakers at their meetings. Invariably, when these guys discuss tactics, they mention the benefit of loop knots in adding freedom of movement to their lures.
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Ok...a year later...the TA clips work, but...they catch weeds, grass and are too big, too visible in clear water...has anyone gotten any experience with the Mustad Fastach connector? Looks much smaller but still has the quick attach without re-tie a leader...how strong...pros/cons? And try the Canoeman loop knot- really fast, strong loop knot I now use...
                  Last edited by ronaultmtd; 01-28-2018, 11:34 AM.

Comment

you guys must have way better eyes than me.....tying on the yak is a drag for me. icant even guess how many reading glasses i've lost over the side.

So i doubt i'll ever go without clips. If i'm using a swivel, i use coastlock snaps.....easily the strongest snap. Sadly, i've found they dont always work with jigs with smaller hookeyes.....also trouble with my fav popper which has a heavily cuppedface (this popper also wont take the TA clips). I'll probably stick with duolocks...i have probably lost one fish a year at most and usually that was because i was using too small a version
                    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

If you can make two loops in the Leader...you can tie the canoeman knot

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                        If you can make two loops in the Leader...you can tie the canoeman knot
                        seems simple.....but threading line through eye is the biggest challange.....i can search an sense with snap...//but i do likw that knot
                        14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                        2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

I used terminal tackle just once this year. I was on a boat and it was super rough. We were pitching spot next to the jetty. Waves were tossing the boat, and I accidentally turned the handle once to much, and I heard that classic, ‘Ah s&$t’ sound of a swivel hitting the tip top guide. Sure enough it popped the insert, rendering my rod useless for the rest of the trip.
                          Still using uni-to-uni and loop knot (Kreh). I do finish it, like an improved clinch, by passsing it through one more time. Haven’t had a problem, even for some pigs this year. I use speed clips for surf and big plugs, but back bay stuff is too small to have giant jewelry. I have to imagine it messes with the presentation. I will say, I like the Backlash clips better than the tactical anglers. They come with a bent raised lip, making it easier for night fishing and smaller pugs, not sure how small they come though.
                          Last edited by summersoff; 01-28-2018, 06:40 PM.
                          Jay

10' Green Slayer
                          13’ Red Slayer

Comment

Dulock snaps vs. Lefty Krey loop knot

Here is a picture of my 1/8 oz Bomber Sea Shad head with Trilene XT 20# with the canoe man knot.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkIMG_3665.JPG

Comment

How are you guys controlling the size when using a loop-knot to connect to a lure? I tried it off and on last season but felt like it was mostly dumb luck when ever I got the loop set at a decently small size. I was trying it for Ned Rigs and other do-nothing plastics and trying to tie it in 8-10lb floro. It seems like I could never really control the loop size while also ensuring the knot was cinched down well enough.
                              Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
                              Lime Slayer 10

Comment

Another alternative to Duolock or Tactical Angler clips is the small curly clip that I used when fishing in Corpus Christi, TX last November. See my post at http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...hlight=roy%27s.

I bought a pack of these and will most likely use it on a rod that throws topwater lures. It will allow me to switch out lures quickly (there is a definite learning curve for figuring out how to use these). The only vendor for these clips is Roy's Tackle Shop in Corpus Christi. They do internet sales if anyone is interested in ordering some.

I use a loop knot for almost all of my other lures.
                                John Veil
                                Annapolis
                                Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
                                X