Dulock snaps vs. Lefty Krey loop knot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dulock snaps vs. Lefty Krey loop knot

This week I caught a really frisky 25 1/2 inch striped bass- I was using my oldest Shimano 2500 Sustain FE light spinning reel I got back in 2011 with 12# braid- (I carry four fully rigged rods and just swap out based on lures) fish fought really good on moderate drag setting- reel was still smooth as melted butter- got the fish in the kayak and noticed the 40# dulock snap was open on both snaps just the bend was holding the fish...I immediately removed the dulock snaps from all my other rods and tied the lures on using the Krey loop knot...lesson? Eliminate weak points in your tackle- Looking at the Dulock- it appears to be a very strong system...but in practice, where it matters, it failed.

PS- Happy Father's Day to all the Dads out there...
    Last edited by ronaultmtd; 06-18-2017, 09:08 AM.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

I don't use any lure connectors but I do use Lefty's Loop. I actually enjoy tying it, always trying to make it the perfect size. It's quite effective to give your jig a little more wiggle.

I've never had the knot break but I have had the loop break at the pressure point where the line meets the eye of the hook. But that only happens after a lot of casts and catches. So it pays to periodically check the loop for fraying.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Glad you were still able to land the fish. Have you ever used tactical anglers clips? I had almost the exact same scenario this weekend, 25" fish on a 2500 Daiwa Procyon reel, and the 50lb clip held up fine. I would like to familiarize myself with the loop knot though, just in case.
      Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Comment

Originally posted by rugbyfish View Post
        ... I would like to familiarize myself with the loop knot though, just in case.

http://www.fishing-khaolak.com/knots...oop_steps.html
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Comment

I like Norman Speed clips in the magnum size. Every rod has one on the end. I too have found others unreliable.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Kokatat Pro Staff
          Torqeedo Pro Staff
          Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
          Alan

Comment

TA clips over duo-lock snaps any day! There is no weak point on a TA clip if you buy the appropriate size and they allow plenty of swing on the hook eye. If a bull red, or car hood sized ray, can't dent them - nothing will. Just make sure you get real clips from Technical Anglers and not knock-offs. I've found knock-offs to be inferior quality.

IMG_1208.jpg
            Brian

Comment

It is an extremely quick and easy knot to tie- I can tie one in the dark...Just don't like floro leaders over 18-20 inches long, so after re-tie the lures a time or two I need to replace the leader- PIA on the water because correctly replacing a leader with moving tides, fish biting, waves, boats...you get the picture....

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                (I carry four fully rigged rods and just swap out based on lures)
                But I have to ask what is the point of a duo-lock snap in the first place if you're swapping out rods to change lures and you're not actually using the snap to change lures? Is the snapthere just to avoid tying directly to the hook eye?
                Brian

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                  It is an extremely quick and easy knot to tie- I can tie one in the dark...Just don't like floro leaders over 18-20 inches long, so after re-tie the lures a time or two I need to replace the leader- PIA on the water because correctly replacing a leader with moving tides, fish biting, waves, boats...you get the picture....
                  Agree. I had to replace two leaders a few weeks ago on the water and it was hard.

Also, I absolutely could not tie Lefty's Loop with 5x tippet when I was fly fishing on the Casselman recently. I had forgotten my clip-on magnifiers and I could barely see the tippet as it was even in bright sunshine.
                  Mark
                  Pasadena, MD

Comment

Originally posted by Slobber Bob View Post
                    But I have to ask what is the point of a duo-lock snap in the first place if you're swapping out rods to change lures and you're not actually using the snap to change lures? Is the snapthere just to avoid tying directly to the hook eye?
                    I suspect most use the duo-lock or a loop knot to allow the lure more freedom of movement than a cinch knot would offer.

But the duo-lock offers the added benefit of a quick lure change without having to retie which both takes time and shortens your leader.
                    Mark
                    Pasadena, MD

Comment

For this year, I have dumped the terminal tackle for my yak fishing. I used to have a standard braid to swivels tied to Flouro tied to speed clip. I have found it to be a hassle in the yak. Lines get caught up more, and I accidentally bring my line in past the swivel way more often in the yak than the surf. Now I use a uni to uni for the braid to flouro (I ain't doing that overly complicated FG knot) with a loop knot to the lure. It's a lot cleaner, less hang-ups, no more swivel breaking the guide worry and the loop allows for a better presentation. I think my hook ups have increased due to the loop knot. Also trying to get a duro or speed clip in some of these smaller bay lures is a PITA, and I can tie way faster.
                      Furthermore, some of these plugs work better tide direct without swivels or clips, like spooks.
                      Last edited by summersoff; 06-18-2017, 10:00 AM.
                      Jay

10' Green Slayer
                      13’ Red Slayer

Comment

Thanks Mark!
                        Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Comment

Originally posted by Slobber Bob View Post
                          Free swinging lure catches more fish- even the Krey loop knot isn't as rigid as the metal snap in allowing the lure to have full range of motion- the knot gets pulled taunt and that restricts motion...ever had that one lure you go to that catches fish but an exact same lure, color, size doesn't?
                          Last edited by ronaultmtd; 06-18-2017, 11:22 AM.

Comment

I agree with Ron and Mark about using the loop knot (note that some references refer to the Lefty loop, Krey loop, or just loop). As far as I can tell they are all the same knot.

I have a question for those of you who use swimming plugs or other hard plastic lures. Do you use a loop knot to attach them? Does it matter if the attachment point already has a split ring attached to the tie-off point on the lure?
                            John Veil
                            Annapolis
                            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I've had a few failures with the small Tactical Anglers clips. The metal used is weak and can bend out of shape. Not an issue with the larger versions.
                              2014 Hobie Pro Angler
                              2018 Viking Profish 400 Lite

Comment

Working...
                              X