No announcement yet.

OBX sound fishing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will be in Corolla the week of July 1 for the first time as well. Looking forward to your report I hope you are able to overcome the adversity
    Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

Unfortunately, hauling the kayak all the way down there turned out to be a total waste of time. Although the weather reports said it there was a 4-5 mph wind, I'd put it at a steady 20+. On Saturday it had to be over 30. I only made it out on the kayak twice, the first time I turned back because it was just too rough. I pedaled for about 5 minutes and got maybe 100 yards from the dock. While turning around to head back in I almost capsized. The second trip out was not much better but I could at least make headway. I ended up fishing for maybe an hour with not so much as a nibble and headed back in.

We caught a few small crabs from the dock and one puppy drum, maybe 5" or so.

While it was a disappointing week for fishing, I have to believe it could be a whole lot better given the right conditions. I have been to the OBX a half dozen times or so and have never seen the Sound quite so turbulent.
      LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
      Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Sorry to hear that. Hope you can get 'em next time.
        -manny

Hobie Outback
        Wilderness Systems 130T
        Hobie Outfitter

Comment

My trip to Corolla was also pretty dismal. First off, the water behind Corrolla and Duck is brackish bordering on fresh and there are very few access points. I went down and fished the marshes behind Oregon Inlet the first morning and caught one small redfish, one small flounder, and a dozen tiny striped bass. The 40 mile drive back from Hatteras to Corolla took THREE HOURS. Traffic was horrific the whole week, mostly around the 158 bridge and Duck.

The second morning I launched my kayak into the surf in Corolla and was amazed at the crystal clear, emerald waters. I spent 2 hours chasing giant sea turtles and casting jigs under them hoping for cobia, but no dice. On the way in, I planned to hop off my kayak once I hit the second bar and walk my yak in past the 2 sets of breakers. Unfortunately, a gigantic wave picked me up as I was hopping out, and the inevitable pitch-pole landing ensued. I called it a career after that and then just spent the rest of the week enjoying the beach and pool. It was a humbling intro to the outer banks and I learned a lot for if/when I ever go back.
          Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

I'll be in Southern Shores the week of August 13 and again the week of September 25. Since I own a place down there, I rent a spot at one of the Southern Shores marinas and keep 2 kayaks there. So I launch from a canal and have a short paddle to the sound. I plan to explore the canals and fish them, as well as the "creek" that runs through Southern Shores and down through Kitty Hawk. If the weather cooperates and the sound is flat, I might try to kayak fish along the Wright Brothers Memorial Bridge/158.

I don't think I will get the kayaks out in the surf, but I'll bring my scupper cart down in case I give that a try. Besides that I'll toss spoons and jigs and plugs in the surf every morning for about a hour.

I'll report back how things go.

Comment

I am heading down to the OBX the week of August 4. I plan on taking the kayak and making the drive a few times down to Oregon Inlet. If it is windy there is always Bodie Lighthouse that you can fish that is somewhat sheltered. I would really like to make my way along the marsh towards the bridge and fish that area. I have plenty of stuff to try and I usually take a flyrod as well. I would love to get into the Blue Fish on Crease Flies.

We shall see what conditions bring. It is quite a drive from Duck to Oregon Inlet (Duck is where I stay). I wouldn't waste my time trying the soundside behind duck. I have launched out of the surf before in my inflatable kayak but I didn't catch a thing. Not sure if I would surf launch my Vibe (depends on the day and getting a place where I can actually get it to the water.

My experience with the OBX is feast or famine. It is either catch a lot of fish or barely catch at all!

Comment

Staying in Avon for a few days. Put my SINK in today (Aug 7) at 7 am at Oregon Inlet and threw green and yellow paddle tails around the area within 1/2 mile of launch. Scattered thunderstorms all around so I couldn't get too adventurous. After 90 minutes the storm was approaching fast so I started paddling in while trolling one paddletail. Naturally, that's when the rod went down. Landed a feisty 16" striper. Got to the launch in time to get totally soaked by the rain, but at least I wasn't skunked! I'll be back in September for a week and try again.
                Al

Comment

Working...
                X