Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OBX sound fishing?

you arent a true fisherman until you've landed (and released) a flying bird. last august pier fishing, a lovely seagul decided to grab onto my double drop rig (i'm assuming for my shrimp bait) and have made it all the way up onto the pier. "just when you think you've caught it all"
    First Lady: Hobie Ivory Sand Dune Hobie ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Backup Babe (Girlfriends Ride): Carribean Blue Hobie Outback Lowrance Elite 5 HDI w/ Pumpkin Spice Latte holder

Learning the Ropes & Living the Dream

+1 on the tips Pat had for surf fishing, I would also add these other four tips:

- Purchase two or three "Bottom Rigs". They are metal wire rigs with connections to attach your hooks, line, and weight. They sell them in any tackle shop in the OBX.

- Purchase a pack or two of Bear Paw-brand flicker snelled hooks with the flashy spinners. I've had good luck with silver, gold, or chartreuse - they seem to work best. *Buy the smallest size of hook you can get your hands on. You will only be using small (<0.5") pieces of bloodworm on the hook (see next tip), so you'll have a better hook-up ratio with a smaller hook (i.e. the hook is concealed by the small piece of bait).
    http://bearpawtackle.com/index.php?r...tegory&path=59

- Spend a little extra and buy bloodworms. If you keep them on ice - and in the fridge when not fishing - a bag of them will last you about five days or so; use only tiny pieces on the hooks (see previous tip)

- Purchase a couple of surf fishing weights to help keep your bottom rig presentation from running with the current.
    Last edited by baitball; 06-17-2017 at 04:01 AM.
    -manny

Hobie Outback
    Wilderness Systems 130T

Quote Originally Posted by dsiekman View Post
    I'll be in Duck next week and will have the kayak with me. We are staying on the sound so I'll have daily access. Based on what I've seen, the fishing is less than stellar. I was hoping for specs and reds. Any thoughts?
    I'm actually down here right now with my yak, trying to get in some short trips during family vacation. My first short trip out this AM I caught 2 nice fat 19" puppy drum. The water is pretty murky in the Currituck Sound and I was advised that shrimp on a Carolina rig is more effective, compared to jigs and other artificials, which might be effective at Oregon Inlet and further south. I may head down there in the next few days and will post again if I learn anything. See a related thread where a fellow Snaggedliner posted a great article he wrote about sight-casting for puppy drum.
    Michael
    Washington, DC
    Hobie Outback

Thanks guys! We got down here about 7 last night and the wind was ripping. Whitecaps on the sound. Still looks pretty rough this morning. Headed to the tackle shop in a few.
    LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
    Hobie Pro Angler 12

Quote Originally Posted by dsiekman View Post
    Thanks guys! We got down here about 7 last night and the wind was ripping. Whitecaps on the sound. Still looks pretty rough this morning. Headed to the tackle shop in a few.
    Good luck! Let us know how you do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -manny

Hobie Outback
    Wilderness Systems 130T

I will be in Corolla the week of July 1 for the first time as well. Looking forward to your report I hope you are able to overcome the adversity
    Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Unfortunately, hauling the kayak all the way down there turned out to be a total waste of time. Although the weather reports said it there was a 4-5 mph wind, I'd put it at a steady 20+. On Saturday it had to be over 30. I only made it out on the kayak twice, the first time I turned back because it was just too rough. I pedaled for about 5 minutes and got maybe 100 yards from the dock. While turning around to head back in I almost capsized. The second trip out was not much better but I could at least make headway. I ended up fishing for maybe an hour with not so much as a nibble and headed back in.

We caught a few small crabs from the dock and one puppy drum, maybe 5" or so.

While it was a disappointing week for fishing, I have to believe it could be a whole lot better given the right conditions. I have been to the OBX a half dozen times or so and have never seen the Sound quite so turbulent.
    LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
    Hobie Pro Angler 12

Sorry to hear that. Hope you can get 'em next time.
    -manny

Hobie Outback
    Wilderness Systems 130T

My trip to Corolla was also pretty dismal. First off, the water behind Corrolla and Duck is brackish bordering on fresh and there are very few access points. I went down and fished the marshes behind Oregon Inlet the first morning and caught one small redfish, one small flounder, and a dozen tiny striped bass. The 40 mile drive back from Hatteras to Corolla took THREE HOURS. Traffic was horrific the whole week, mostly around the 158 bridge and Duck.

The second morning I launched my kayak into the surf in Corolla and was amazed at the crystal clear, emerald waters. I spent 2 hours chasing giant sea turtles and casting jigs under them hoping for cobia, but no dice. On the way in, I planned to hop off my kayak once I hit the second bar and walk my yak in past the 2 sets of breakers. Unfortunately, a gigantic wave picked me up as I was hopping out, and the inevitable pitch-pole landing ensued. I called it a career after that and then just spent the rest of the week enjoying the beach and pool. It was a humbling intro to the outer banks and I learned a lot for if/when I ever go back.
    Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

I'll be in Southern Shores the week of August 13 and again the week of September 25. Since I own a place down there, I rent a spot at one of the Southern Shores marinas and keep 2 kayaks there. So I launch from a canal and have a short paddle to the sound. I plan to explore the canals and fish them, as well as the "creek" that runs through Southern Shores and down through Kitty Hawk. If the weather cooperates and the sound is flat, I might try to kayak fish along the Wright Brothers Memorial Bridge/158.

I don't think I will get the kayaks out in the surf, but I'll bring my scupper cart down in case I give that a try. Besides that I'll toss spoons and jigs and plugs in the surf every morning for about a hour.

I'll report back how things go.