Thread: Piney Point Drum Roll

Default Piney Point Drum Roll

Went out to Piney this morning at 5:30, just before high tide so no current moving. No fish at the bridge so headed off into the creek to work the edges. Picked up one 8th grade fish but nothing was really biting. Decided to head over to a grass bed and try for perch. First cast next to a grass line got an 11" perch. As I put him on the measuring board he did a Chris Jericho and threw me off the pin. I swear it looked me in the eye and said sucker as it threw itself off the board,spread its fins and the stabbed both feet simultaneously drawing blood.

I unceremoniously threw him in the cooler and quickly had a second. The next fish had more heft and as it got to the boat I saw it was a drum. It did a mad dash and the 1" crank bait let go. The agony! I worked the rest of the grass line with limited success and reversed course to work it again. Next fish was a 19" striper that gave my light outfit a workout. Two casts later I thought I had at least a 24" on the line with blistering runs but it stayed down which was odd. I jumped for joy when this 18 1/2" beauty was in the yak.

It had more dots than I'm used to.

After that things slowed again with a couple of random schoolies to keep me interested but not excited. Having blackened redfish tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Great report and the pain was worth the reward! Nice to see specks/reds making a showing in MD.

I am laughing so hard right now, with you of Course

Nice Red, Breton Bay was slow. got about 8 10-18 inch stripers this morning.

Yak67
    2017 Hobie Pa-12
    2016 Hobie Outback LE#217

Mike,

White perch revenge!

You're tough pushing those Hobie pedals without shoes. I can't do that.

Terrific red.

Are you guys sure the Slower Lower is in MD? Seems like a different state with the Specks and Reds you guys catch.

Pardon my envy.
    Mark

Olive Hobie Revo 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12

Author: The Simple Joys of Kayak Fishing (Tips and Tales From an Old Guy in His Plastic Boat)
    Available on Amazon.com

Some would question if the slower lower is in Maryland. No one comes here by mistake as all roads end in the water at some point. Amazing the difference 60 miles makes in a fishery.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Cool report. I love reports like this with excellent photos.
    <Fred Flintsone Feet> in photo #1.

Nice report Mike. Thanks for sharing, and congrats on that good-looking drum!
    -manny

Hobie Outback
    Wilderness System 130T

Nice red! There is something about the fight in a red that other bay fish just don't have. Always exciting to hook into one; especially when you're not expecting it.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
    Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
    2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Nice looking fish