Piney Point Drum Roll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Piney Point Drum Roll

Went out to Piney this morning at 5:30, just before high tide so no current moving. No fish at the bridge so headed off into the creek to work the edges. Picked up one 8th grade fish but nothing was really biting. Decided to head over to a grass bed and try for perch. First cast next to a grass line got an 11" perch. As I put him on the measuring board he did a Chris Jericho and threw me off the pin. I swear it looked me in the eye and said sucker as it threw itself off the board,spread its fins and the stabbed both feet simultaneously drawing blood.

I unceremoniously threw him in the cooler and quickly had a second. The next fish had more heft and as it got to the boat I saw it was a drum. It did a mad dash and the 1" crank bait let go. The agony! I worked the rest of the grass line with limited success and reversed course to work it again. Next fish was a 19" striper that gave my light outfit a workout. Two casts later I thought I had at least a 24" on the line with blistering runs but it stayed down which was odd. I jumped for joy when this 18 1/2" beauty was in the yak.

It had more dots than I'm used to.

After that things slowed again with a couple of random schoolies to keep me interested but not excited. Having blackened redfish tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Great report and the pain was worth the reward! Nice to see specks/reds making a showing in MD.

Comment

I am laughing so hard right now, with you of Course

Nice Red, Breton Bay was slow. got about 8 10-18 inch stripers this morning.

Yak67
      2017 Hobie Pa-12
      2016 Hobie Outback LE#217

Comment

Mike,

White perch revenge!

You're tough pushing those Hobie pedals without shoes. I can't do that.

Terrific red.

Are you guys sure the Slower Lower is in MD? Seems like a different state with the Specks and Reds you guys catch.

Pardon my envy.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Some would question if the slower lower is in Maryland. No one comes here by mistake as all roads end in the water at some point. Amazing the difference 60 miles makes in a fishery.
          Mike
          Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Cool report. I love reports like this with excellent photos.
            <Fred Flintsone Feet> in photo #1.

Comment

Nice report Mike. Thanks for sharing, and congrats on that good-looking drum!
              -manny

Hobie Outback
              Wilderness Systems 130T
              Hobie Outfitter

Comment

Nice red! There is something about the fight in a red that other bay fish just don't have. Always exciting to hook into one; especially when you're not expecting it.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
                Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Nice looking fish

Comment

Working...
                  X