Piney Run

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Piney Run

Has anyone been to Piney Run recently? I'm fishing a club tournament there on Saturday and haven't been since I was a young kid. Just trying to get a feel of the water and structure. Is it similar to rocky gorge or tridelphia? I hope not lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Piney Run is nice. I fished it about 6 times a few years back. Water clarity was good. There appeared to be lots of submerged aquatic plants and some lily pads. I always caught bass there. I had potentially one of the largest bass of my life come off while there. As far as I could tell, the place is pretty flat as far as the bottom contours. I caught the most fish when turning to the left from the boat ramp area and fishing on the opposite side from the dam. I caught fish on wacky worms near lily pads, on spinner baits near shorelines, and on suspending jerk baits. I think you will find fish around weed lines under water in 8-10 feet on. I had the most success in the morning and in shaded areas. You will like it better than Rocky Gorge and Triadelphia.

Comment

Thank you so much! That sounds awfully fishy to me. I like rocky and tri, but I spend most of time reading my electronics to find fish. This sounds like a quality fishery

Comment

Originally posted by acwatkins View Post
        Thank you so much! That sounds awfully fishy to me. I like rocky and tri, but I spend most of time reading my electronics to find fish. This sounds like a quality fishery
        Your electronics will show you that the original creek bed before the lake was dammed is along the shoreline directly across from the launch. I cannot provide recent knowledge of Piney Run but I fished it quite often 10 to 15 years ago from my friend's Jon boat. It was a very good LM bass fishery and the numerous shallow coves would load up with bluegills ripe for the taking with small poppers and rubber spiders. My typical mode for LM bass was to work top water early in the morning along the shorelines and in the coves and then switch to Texas rigged plastic worm or lizard in the old creek bed when the sun got high. Also, I recall several beaver houses in the back coves. I don't know if they are still present but if so, they were excellent bass attractors. Lastly, the riprap along the dam often held LM bass.

One of my frustrations with the lake was the rigid opening and closing times of the park. I often wanted to get there before dawn and stay through dusk but that was difficult given the gate times. However, on occasion as I recall, they would open for nighttime fishing.

Good luck to you and please share a report of your visit here.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Awesome, thank you. Rigging up and prepping my boxes shortly. You're right about the rigid times. It's unfortunate to start so late but we'll see what happens. I'll report back here tomorrow evening. Hopefully it's a good day!

Comment

I caught some sweet LMbass & big yellow perch a few yrs ago there but I could not entice the big stripers to bite.

Comment

Well it turned out successful overall. Of 8, 6 of us all caught fish. Unfortunately there were over 20 other bass boats out there fishing tournaments as well. It was crowded to say the least. However, I can't wait to get back out there, it's such a good looking body of water. Crystal clear water, grass, pads, laydowns. No big fish were caught but I know they're there.

Comment

Working...
              X