Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to power a Fish Finder

Default How to power a Fish Finder

My current fish finder has kind-of bit the dust. It works, on and off.

So, I bought a new fish finder and would like to hook it up to my current battery. What I have is a plastic water tight box. With a 12v male / female plug to get power to the FF.

These are the male / female plugs that I have:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

***** Now my question:

I found that these male / female plugs are really rusted after 2 years. In fact, I kind of wonder if these plugs were the cause of my original FF problems.

So, how do you guys hooks up you FF to power???

Thanks,
    Stan
    Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Mine is real simple...two female connectors straight to the battery, a fuse on the positive wire.
    20170613_221148.jpg
    2013 WS Ride 135
    2015 WS Ride 115

X2 on what RWH said.
    2017 Hobie Camo Outback
    2016 Vibe Sea Ghost

Quote Originally Posted by rwh View Post
    Mine is real simple...two female connectors straight to the battery, a fuse on the positive wire.
    20170613_221148.jpg
    Same, but after connecting the wires to the terminals, I drop the whole thing: BATT, wires & fuse, inside a waterproof, clear bag (the type you can find in the local camping section of REI or Dick's). I then fold down the top of the bag - making sure I dont compromise the connection to the inline fuse - and wrap it around the sail mast inside the bow of my Outback. I suspect you can do something similar in your WS135 by securing the whole thing to a scupper under the deck.
    The waterproof bag keeps all moisture out and prevents any rusting on the terminals or the wire leads. Works great.
    -manny

Hobie Outback
    Wilderness Systems 130T

I bought the Hobie battery holder kit- fits perfectly in the aft 8 inch hatch- safe, secure and I bought 2 -12v, 9 aHR batteries for $25 each off Amazon.com...anyone with a Hobie- this is the only way to go...after each trip, I swap out the depleted battery for a freshly charged one and put the depleted battery on the charger for the next trip- always ready to go...and the Hobie wiring kit is marine-grade tin coated copper wire that resists corrosion- regular wire you get at Home Depot will corrode like crazy...
    Last edited by ronaultmtd; 06-14-2017 at 08:00 AM.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Outback
    "Ugly Duckling" 2010 Olive Hobie Outback
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13

I don't think that connector will hold up a long time. One like this will wear every time to plug it together and not have corrosion problems. I cut this in half, one end on the battery and one on the depth finder. SLA battery in a dry box with a fuse. Dialectric grease in the connector that plugs into the fish finder.

https://www.amazon.com/Pico-0710PT-T.../dp/B00030COC4
    "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Mine is similar, but I've found a great deal of corrosion on red connection (power) going to FF. I will attempt to clean it & in the future try dielectric grease.
    Red 2015 Hobie Outback
    Olive 2015 PA 14

Quote Originally Posted by archeryrob View Post
    I don't think that connector will hold up a long time. One like this will wear every time to plug it together and not have corrosion problems. I cut this in half, one end on the battery and one on the depth finder. SLA battery in a dry box with a fuse. Dialectric grease in the connector that plugs into the fish finder.

I did the same

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Lot's of great advice. I went with the Pico connector. It is on order.

Thanks,
    Stan
    Wilderness Systems Ride 135

mine is identical to RWH, however the battery terminal to female of the fuse is holding up fine, but the male fuse to female power cable moves around too much i've broken the connection at the female.

i'm now upgrading the wire/wire connections to this:

http://askjohnanddave.com/wp-content...-connector.jpg

both wires push in, and there is a piece similar to an inverted alligator clip which connects the two. As long as you strip off enough plastic, there is no way to miss a connection with this plug style.

i'm still wire to female at both battery terminals tho. to be continued!
    First Lady: Hobie Ivory Sand Dune Hobie ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Backup Babe (Girlfriends Ride): Carribean Blue Hobie Outback Lowrance Elite 5 HDI w/ Pumpkin Spice Latte holder

Learning the Ropes & Living the Dream