How to power a Fish Finder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to power a Fish Finder

My current fish finder has kind-of bit the dust. It works, on and off.

So, I bought a new fish finder and would like to hook it up to my current battery. What I have is a plastic water tight box. With a 12v male / female plug to get power to the FF.

These are the male / female plugs that I have:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

***** Now my question:

I found that these male / female plugs are really rusted after 2 years. In fact, I kind of wonder if these plugs were the cause of my original FF problems.

So, how do you guys hooks up you FF to power???

Thanks,
    Stan
    Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Mine is real simple...two female connectors straight to the battery, a fuse on the positive wire.
    20170613_221148.jpg
    2013 WS Ride 135
    2015 WS Ride 115

Comment

X2 on what RWH said.
      2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

Originally posted by rwh View Post
        Mine is real simple...two female connectors straight to the battery, a fuse on the positive wire.
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]21718[/ATTACH]
        Same, but after connecting the wires to the terminals, I drop the whole thing: BATT, wires & fuse, inside a waterproof, clear bag (the type you can find in the local camping section of REI or Dick's). I then fold down the top of the bag - making sure I dont compromise the connection to the inline fuse - and wrap it around the sail mast inside the bow of my Outback. I suspect you can do something similar in your WS135 by securing the whole thing to a scupper under the deck.
        The waterproof bag keeps all moisture out and prevents any rusting on the terminals or the wire leads. Works great.
        -manny

Hobie Outback
        Wilderness Systems 130T
        Hobie Outfitter

Comment

I bought the Hobie battery holder kit- fits perfectly in the aft 8 inch hatch- safe, secure and I bought 2 -12v, 9 aHR batteries for $25 each off Amazon.com...anyone with a Hobie- this is the only way to go...after each trip, I swap out the depleted battery for a freshly charged one and put the depleted battery on the charger for the next trip- always ready to go...and the Hobie wiring kit is marine-grade tin coated copper wire that resists corrosion- regular wire you get at Home Depot will corrode like crazy...
          Last edited by ronaultmtd; 06-14-2017, 08:00 AM.
          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I don't think that connector will hold up a long time. One like this will wear every time to plug it together and not have corrosion problems. I cut this in half, one end on the battery and one on the depth finder. SLA battery in a dry box with a fuse. Dialectric grease in the connector that plugs into the fish finder.

https://www.amazon.com/Pico-0710PT-T.../dp/B00030COC4
            "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

Mine is similar, but I've found a great deal of corrosion on red connection (power) going to FF. I will attempt to clean it & in the future try dielectric grease.
              Red 2015 Hobie Outback
              Olive 2015 PA 14

Comment

Originally posted by archeryrob View Post
                I don't think that connector will hold up a long time. One like this will wear every time to plug it together and not have corrosion problems. I cut this in half, one end on the battery and one on the depth finder. SLA battery in a dry box with a fuse. Dialectric grease in the connector that plugs into the fish finder.

I did the same

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Comment

Lot's of great advice. I went with the Pico connector. It is on order.

Thanks,
                  Stan

Comment

mine is identical to RWH, however the battery terminal to female of the fuse is holding up fine, but the male fuse to female power cable moves around too much i've broken the connection at the female.

i'm now upgrading the wire/wire connections to this:

http://askjohnanddave.com/wp-content...-connector.jpg

both wires push in, and there is a piece similar to an inverted alligator clip which connects the two. As long as you strip off enough plastic, there is no way to miss a connection with this plug style.

i'm still wire to female at both battery terminals tho. to be continued!
                    Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Stan I use that same connector you can find them at stores like auto zone for less than three bucks. You can get a couple for the price you paid for that one.
                      Croaker D

Orange Camo OK Trident 13

Green Camo Oldtown Predator PDL

Comment

Originally posted by croaker d View Post
                        Stan I use that same connector you can find them at stores like auto zone for less than three bucks. You can get a couple for the price you paid for that one.

Ekkkk...... To late for me. But, great advice for everyone else. Thanks!

Best Regards,
                        Stan

Comment

Originally posted by archeryrob View Post

How did you connect the wires to the battery terminal? Soldering?

Comment

Originally posted by azmdted View Post
                            How did you connect the wires to the battery terminal? Soldering?
                            I Soldered mine.

Best Regards,
                            Stan

Comment

Nice thing with the Pico connector is that many battery maintainers/chargers have the same type included with the charger. You can see the B&D one I use here. http://www.homedepot.com/p/BLACK-DEC...BM3B/202710992 It has the two prong connector which I can just plug directly up to my battery box lead without having to remove the battery from the box. makes things simple. If your charger doesn't have the connector one can be added easily enough.

Comment

Working...
                              X