Big Blues in the Potomac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Blues in the Potomac

Just wanted to take a moment to give proper thanks to DENALI who sold me two great catfish rigs and turned me on to a great site for Big Blues near Marshall Hall. I wanted to take the wife along so I took the bass boat instead of the yak last Saturday. 5 minutes in I started pulling fish out. The first one I hooked on slice of chicken breast broke off as I was lifting him into the boat. I started fishing with four lines in the water trying shrimp, nightcrawlers, chicken breast, and bunker chunks. They were biting everything but seemed to really enjoy the shrimp. The action was coming as fast as I could get my bait back in the water and settled on the bottom. I lost one pole over the side when I had a fish on every line at one point and then decided to fish with just two poles. It was a good mix of Blues and Channel Cats. A few of them were scarred up like they had been fighting or something. I didn't keep any as most of them were bigger than I like to eat. I was having so much fun I didn't even think about taking pictures and there are no GoPro mounts on the Nitro. This little lady in the picture was 29 inches of pull and tug all the way in. I arrived at sunrise and 3 hours and 17 cats later I was ready to go enjoy the rest of the day with the wife. Thanks again to DENALI for sharing the righteous fishing spot.
    AintMisBehavin.jpg
    Last edited by AintMisBehavin; 06-13-2017, 04:47 PM. Reason: forgot the pic
    Gregory
    ​Ain't Misbehavin'
    2014 Pro Angler 12
    '

Nice work, Greg! Sorry to hear about the rod that went into the drink but that's the risk we take when trying to hook up to the big ones.... and 4 at a time! Congrats!!

Comment

How deep was the water? I need to get down to Marshall Hall one day with you and the yaks. Lets just split a 5 lb bag of shrimp.

4 rods at the same time, every anglers fantasy!
      Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

BTW, I love the spincaster reel! Brings back some awesome fishing memories, when I used to go walleye and pike fishing in Michigan with my uncle. Zebco spincasters are all he'd ever use.

Comment

Originally posted by mchottie View Post

I will leave this alone....

Comment

Originally posted by supfisher01 View Post
            I will leave this alone....
            I was going to make a comment about how he brought his wife along, but thought better of myself.

Greg I hope you can take a joke
            Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Nice fish! Marshall hall, and spots all around it, seem to be great spots for blue cats. I have been meaning to make a return trip down there, but I doubt I will make it anytime soon. It's a 2+ hour drive for me, and I think if I'm going to travel that distance, it'll probably be to somewhere on the eastern shore or southern md for some red drum, blues, Spanish mackerel, or specks. Though in the winter and very early spring, blue cats are certainly one of the only somewhat reliable fish to target for amateurs such as myself.

Comment

I'll be back at MH at the end of the month. I found that kind of speed for hookups at Mattawoman last month but it seemed to come and go, I couldn't peg in when to find them reliably and the biggest fish was probably about 6lbs. If anyone wants to offer general region suggestions of where to look for them at MH, or times of day or tidal recommendations, that would be great. I seemed to have my best luck at high noon in about 3' of heavy grass before on Mattawoman. Also happy to have anyone join me, if you'd like.

I also had zero luck on chicken, but they were tearing up beef liver.
                2016 NuCanoe Pursuit 13.5
                2015 F&S Shadowcaster 12
                2008 Ocean Kayak Scrambler XT 12
                2011 Native Ultimate 14.5

Comment

How deep was the water? I need to get down to Marshall Hall one day with you and the yaks. Lets just split a 5 lb bag of shrimp.

I was in 3-5 feet of water this time. It seems they like to feed in the shallower stuff early in the morning. We can split a bag anytime and I always like to make sure I have a variety of offerings. My next opportunity to go will be the weekend after the 4th of July.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Gregory
                  ​Ain't Misbehavin'
                  2014 Pro Angler 12
                  '

Comment

Thanks! It wasn't a new rod, but it was a nice one. I've had a lot of close calls but I always convince myself I'll be able to manage. LOL. Not this time!
                    Gregory
                    ​Ain't Misbehavin'
                    2014 Pro Angler 12
                    '

Comment

I head straight across from the MH launch so that I'm sitting just across the Ft. Belvoir officer club. Normally in 10-15 feet of water and cast towards the shore. I like the mornings and evenings. Let us know when you're headed out if you want some company.
                      Gregory
                      ​Ain't Misbehavin'
                      2014 Pro Angler 12
                      '

Comment

Originally posted by yakscientist View Post
                        Nice fish! Marshall hall, and spots all around it, seem to be great spots for blue cats. I have been meaning to make a return trip down there, but I doubt I will make it anytime soon. It's a 2+ hour drive for me, and I think if I'm going to travel that distance, it'll probably be to somewhere on the eastern shore or southern md for some red drum, blues, Spanish mackerel, or specks. Though in the winter and very early spring, blue cats are certainly one of the only somewhat reliable fish to target for amateurs such as myself.
                        Thanks, but nothing close to the monster you pulled out in January. I'm still looking for that blue somewhere in the river. I would love to get into some red drum, you know of a good spot?
                        Gregory
                        ​Ain't Misbehavin'
                        2014 Pro Angler 12
                        '

Comment

Originally posted by supfisher01 View Post
                          BTW, I love the spincaster reel! Brings back some awesome fishing memories, when I used to go walleye and pike fishing in Michigan with my uncle. Zebco spincasters are all he'd ever use.
                          I have two Zebco 808s and one 888 now that the other one was pulled into the briney deep! I love these reels for catfishing. They have never failed me.
                          Gregory
                          ​Ain't Misbehavin'
                          2014 Pro Angler 12
                          '

Comment

I was going to make a comment about how he brought his wife along, but thought better of myself.

Greg I hope you can take a joke
                            Hey, somebody has to drive the boat while I fish! Besides, there's not room on the yak for her (those days I want to be alone). Besides, I had to grease her up for the 7ti I want for Father's day. I thought I convinced her why I needed superior equipment to better put quality fish on the table, but I caught so many without marking fish I think my plan backfired on me!
                            Gregory
                            ​Ain't Misbehavin'
                            2014 Pro Angler 12
                            '

Comment

Originally posted by AintMisBehavin View Post
                              Thanks, but nothing close to the monster you pulled out in January. I'm still looking for that blue somewhere in the river. I would love to get into some red drum, you know of a good spot?
                              I don't but I was going to send a bunch of messages to some snaggedliners I've fished with before, and some I want to fish with, that live on the eastern shore and southern md. Hopefully they'll fish with me and/or clue me into some spots. I will trade donuts for knowledge.

Comment

Working...
                              X