Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY fish cooler/bag

Default DIY fish cooler/bag

Has anyone ever tried to make a cooler/bag for their fish out of this??
    IMG_20170612_140643089.jpg

It comes in several sizes. Just some Gorilla tape and some Velcro for the opening. Just asking.
    2017 Hobie Camo Outback
    2016 Vibe Sea Ghost

Quote Originally Posted by Steve6902 View Post
    Has anyone ever tried to make a cooler/bag for their fish out of this??
    IMG_20170612_140643089.jpg

It comes in several sizes. Just some Gorilla tape and some Velcro for the opening. Just asking.
    I went to the dollar store and bought a cooler bag that seems to be made out of similar material. I have a three step system for minimizing fish slime cleaning:
    1. Fish gets put on a stringer when on water
    2. When done fishing, put fish in the dollar cooler bag
    3. Put the cooler bag in the main cooler that is in the car

197260.jpg
    Last edited by Seasalt; 06-13-2017 at 03:13 PM.
    2016 Hobie Outback
    2015 Hobie Revolution 11

Steve, I swear you live a 'the Depot'

Between your DIY in the truck and Seasalt DIY on his outback, my next trip to The Depot is going to get expensive!
    First Lady: Hobie Ivory Sand Dune Hobie ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Backup Babe (Girlfriends Ride): Carribean Blue Hobie Outback Lowrance Elite 5 HDI w/ Pumpkin Spice Latte holder

Learning the Ropes & Living the Dream

I've used it for other things. The key to it is that it is a rather poor insulator by itself, but excels at reflecting radiant heat, like the sun. So it might not keep your ice from melting, but it should certainly keep the sun from heating up the fish inside. If you make one let me know how it works, I have plenty left over and have been looking for something to keep fish cool after I move from the perch/spot area to the striper area.

https://youtu.be/rONpSX16Viw
    Similar stuff. I've never tried but I'm sure it would keep a fish good for a few hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Desert Camo- Moken 14
    Tan- Tarpon 140

yea there are a few videos on YOUTUBE also and it works equally as well as actual bags made for it
    2016 Hobie Mirage Outback Olive
    LOWRANCE Hook7

I started using a $10 Wegmans XL cooler bag for my fish. It seems to have a bit more insulation than some bags, and for only $10, I think you'd be hard pressed to find/make something as good or better. It's also fairly long too, the XL size should accommodate several fish from 20-25." It worked great during Jbay, I think the most I had in there though were 3 blues between 18-23" and 1 19" flounder, and it still had plenty of room.

Or maybe use this and make a hard cooler that fits perfectly in the back of my Outback. Yet again using Gorilla tape and glue. Then using the bungee cords to secure it.
    061ca435-fbff-49ac-9e0b-24bad4acc1fe_1000.jpg
    Comes in 4x8 sheets.
    2017 Hobie Camo Outback
    2016 Vibe Sea Ghost

After looking at a couple of the videos on youtube I think I'll make up a bag out of my left over reflectix and see what happens. With luck I will have some fish on Friday to give it a real test. I think for me the next question is, where do I store it with fish and frozen water bottles inside on my Outback? Maybe we'll see if it can squeeze through the hull opening between my legs. If others use them, where/how do you carry them with fish in 'em?

Either strapped to the front or lying in the back storage area
    2017 Hobie Camo Outback
    2016 Vibe Sea Ghost