PFD preferences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PFD preferences

What's up gang!? I have finally purchased my Outback and could not be more excited to get out on the water, but have a question about PFDs. Which PFDs are best/preferred for fishing out of an Outback? Anyone have any good recommendations? Looking forward to meeting the Southern Maryland kayak fishing community!

-Doug
    Doug

2017 Hobie Outback

I really like NRS Chinook...

lots of pockets and places to hang things. Also, the design of the back allows you seat comfortably.
    2015 Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Any of the kayak fishing marketed PDFs are obviously a good choice, but be aware all those extra pockets and things hanging off the front make it much more difficult for re-entry. If you're new to kayaking I would consider something slim fitting. Personally I have a fairly slim fit PDF, but I do keep a knife hanging off the front so that sort of defeats the purpose.
      2015 Hobie Outback
      2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Congrats on the outback purchase! I'm on my second NRS Chinook and really like it. My only complaint is on the new one I just got they removed one of the small pockets.
        Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

I currently use the NRS Chinook, but have owned other brands previously. I strongly recommend that you try the PFD on before buying it. I once ordered a recommended brand online and hated it the moment I put it on. It went back to the vendor, but I paid shipping both ways.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I bought the NRS Chinook last season because of all the recommendation for it. I had been using a variety of basic no-frills pfds prior to that. When the Chinook arrived I kind of laughed at all the pockets and wizbangs, thinking I would never use them. Well, after a year of solid use, all the pockets are filled and wizbangs are heavily used. Great pfd, but like they said, try it on.
            Jay

10' Green Slayer
            13’ Red Slayer

Comment

PFD preferences

Thanks very much, gents. Appreciate the advice!
              Last edited by mojopod; 06-13-2017, 08:51 PM.
              Doug

2017 Hobie Outback

Comment

Like other have said, make sure it has pockets. A couple of other things:

-- Make the color Bright yellow or orange. I personally think the biggest danger is boats and skadoos.

-- Secondly, don't skimp on your PFD. Make it real comfortable so that you are never tempted to take it off while out fishing. My brother was a great swimmer--and he drowned because he was too confidant. Be real careful.

Best Regards,
                Stan
                Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

+1 on don't skimp on Price +1 on Comfort. Fit like a glove and don't want to take it off. I have both types, the fish PFD with high -back for your seat and two nice pockets and hangers/ rings. I also have the slim, "Auto-Inflate" type. Very comfortable you don't know it's on. First time in a kayak and fishing. I would recommend the Kayak fishing PFD, it's on and you don't have to worry about anything and you have pockets, that first year

Yak67
                  2017 Hobie PA-12 Camo
                  2016 Hobie Outback LE#217

Comment

I have the NRS Cvest. I think at the time the Chinook did not come in Orange and the Cvest did. They are very similar.
                    Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
                    Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

NRS Chinook it is, inbound from the fine folks at Amazon. Thanks for all of the great advice, I'm an experienced kayak surfer, but new to the fishing scene. Took my maiden voyage yesterday and scored a 17" striper and a nice perch...gotta be the most fun you can have with your pants on. Very much looking forward to meeting up with the SOMD regulars!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Last edited by mojopod; 06-24-2017, 07:56 AM.
                      Doug

2017 Hobie Outback

Comment

Working...
                      X