First Smallmouth of 2017 and on the Fly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Smallmouth of 2017 and on the Fly

I think I will be obsessed this summer. Last night I went to a small flow and got to the water at 7PM. I hiked 35 minutes away from my parking spot to get away from the non-English speakers who were using the river as a picnic/swimming hole. Then hiked past probably 6 or 8 kayakers. I was amazed how many people were kayaking given how small this flow is. Anyway I finally get to the section of river I want to fish and the river is nice and cool. Crystal clear. I can see fish hanging around the chunk rocks.

I initially cast a floating minnow and fish that for a while with no activity. I can see some sunfish looking at it, but the smallies are ignoring it.

So I switch over to a mutant bead head streamer that I tied up myself. I like the way it looks in the water, with a slow sink.

After about a half dozen casts I got what I came for. Smallie on the end on my 5 weight fly rod. I forgot how fun they are. This one was in the 11-13 inch range. Not sure because I had no measuring device.

Anyway, I'm obsessed. Smallmouth on the fly will be how I'm going to try and spend my free time this summer.

It will be a challenge to make some trips. I think I'll have to hit the Potomac at sunrise and be home by noon.

I'll try and post a photo of the fish and the fly tonight from home.

The first of many.

Congratulations.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Thanks Mark.

The fly that worked was the top fly in this photo.

Here's the smallmouth. It looks smaller than I remember. haha.

Comment

No one ever accused a smallmouth of being discriminating.

Only the fish knows what that fly represents. The key is that you put it in the right place and moved it appropriately to attract the bite.

Again, congratulations.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I remember catching a sm on a foam bee once. It was excruciating watching the 10" fish meander over and slowly slurp it down. On the upper Potomac I did much better sunday with a Shannon minnow and had hits almost as it hit the water.
          PigPen - Mt Airy
          Native Mariner 12.5

Comment

Cool Pigpen. I have already tied yup about 5 or 6 of those.

Comment

Originally posted by DanMarino View Post
              Cool Pigpen. I have already tied yup about 5 or 6 of those.
              The only downside is how much the fly weighs during casting. I eventually switched the fly to my ultra light spin rod to improve the casting. They had a really nice fishy swim on retrieve. I may make a few more and add some color to the back.
              PigPen - Mt Airy
              Native Mariner 12.5

Comment

I floated down the Potomac Friday using poppers and that Shannons minnow. I lost count of the bass beliw 12" BUT did catch 3 bluegill on a B10S hook and a 16" sm. My personal best bass on that river. I'm going to try tying up the Shannon minnow on a articulated hook to see if I can catch more tail biters.
                PigPen - Mt Airy
                Native Mariner 12.5

Comment

Working...
                X