Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CBBT this Sunday?

Default CBBT this Sunday?

Anyone going out this Sunday? Got the kitchen pass for Father's day.

Let me know. I would be up for Rudee also...
    2015 Hobie Revolution 11

If the weather cooperates I'll plan on going to CBBT and use Rudee as a backup.
    Jake

Quote Originally Posted by Jman View Post
    If the weather cooperates I'll plan on going to CBBT and use Rudee as a backup.
    Cool... I'll pm you. I'm still 50/50 because I know the traffic back to NOVA will be terrible after fishing...
    2015 Hobie Revolution 11

I think sheeps are running... saw a citation picture on Instagram for last Sunday...

I never targeted them so little research is needed...
    2015 Hobie Revolution 11

It'll be my first time targeting them as well. The rigging is similar to Tog, which I've done before. Oceans East has clams and fiddlers for bait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Jake

Wind looks much better on Friday... 5mph compared to 10+ on Sunday.

I might be able to get Friday off...
    2015 Hobie Revolution 11

Plans set for Friday morning early launch... wind is looking great, I hope the fish cooperates...
    2015 Hobie Revolution 11

Anybody else is welcome to join us. We will be meeting at 5:30AM at one of the tackle stores.

Should be fun...
    2015 Hobie Revolution 11

Had a good time out with SeaSalt at the CBBT. Weather conditions were glass-like in the morning, which changed to windy and wet later on as I made my way back from first island. I hooked two toadfish, with one being very bloated around 13-13.5". No Sheepshead on this trip, but the reports are in of them being out there and some kids spearfishing said they saw some large ones hanging around the pilings. Another kayaker out there was chumming for cobia and landed a few sharks near the bridge.
    Have to keep trying and I'll get one sooner or later!

I'll let SeaSalt tell his tale of catches.

Thought I lost my camera when I left, but I found it stuck in the hull of my kayak (phew!).
    Jake

It was nice meeting you Jake! It was pretty fun. I'm glad you were able to find your camera.

Here is a quick summary.

The Good
    1. It was nice meeting JMan...
    2. The Buoy 44 Seafood Grill is a nice launch - if you can't find public parking, you can park at the restaurant for 10 dollars.
    3. Rudee is a nice place to fish... no wake zone and free.
    4. Learned some of the advantages of why some use a conventional setup. Hook set can be easier because the reel is on the top and there is more space. Ability to let out additional line with one hand can be advantageous in a place like CBBT.
    5. Bojangles chicken - I love me some Bojangles chicken, biscuit and sweet tea... . You can only get them south of Richmond...

The Bad
    1. Lots of sex. There are lot of mating croakers. I caught over 9 even trying to avoid them, foul hooked couple too. If I really wanted to catch them, I probably would have taken home stringer full of them.
    2. CBBT - I would rate this place one of the tougher places to fish. The combination of tide, wakes, wind and structure, it is not for beginners, which I'm!!!
    3. I get seasick. Even with glass-like conditions, I was getting sick due to the large rollers from the shipping channel. I probably can mitigate this with more trips and medicine.

The Ugly
    1. Going #2. When nature calls and you are 1 hour out from the shore, it sucks! It sucks double when you are fighting the tide to get in.
    2. Camera - I left my fully charged batteries in my charger. No use when it is not in the camera!!!
    3. Traffic - traffic from VA beach to NOVA was terrible on Friday. Took over 5 hours to get home. Lots of construction... I don't think they will be done by the time the summer season kicks off or finishes!!
    Last edited by Seasalt; 06-19-2017 at 04:59 PM.
    2015 Hobie Revolution 11